• Happy May Ray Day! 🌞😎🌻🩳🇩

2-Man Tent Recommendations

Reaction score
I have used a 2-man Eurika tent for many years. I recently applied a can of silicon spray, and applied Tear-aid to a few spots. All the tape has finally come off the seams. On my last trip I woke up with water dripping on my face. I have loved this tent, but I think it is time replace it. Eurika does not make the same tent anymore. I have 4-man and 10-man Alps Mountaineering tents that I have liked. I was thinking I may go with another AM, but I am curious what others are doing in the 2-person category.

I know you're looking for a 2 person tent but honestly, I'd look for a 3 or 4 person tent instead; especially if this is for canoe trips where weight tends to be less critical. I've spent a lot of time in 2 person tents over the years and there's just enough room in most of them for the barest of needs; I.e. sleeping bags & pads for two people. Spend any time in one during a bad weather day and you quickly want more space to move about; which is why I always go with the larger tent.

If weight is an issue you might want to look at some of the floorless tarp shelters from Seek Outside. I have a very nice Red Cliff made by them that weighs less than many two person tents. If bugs are a concern, they do sell bug shelters that set up inside. You can even get them with a stove jack if you want to use the shelter during colder months. While they may cost a bit more, they're made in the USA and mine has held up quite well.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

I loved my Eureka Timberlines. When I started getting lite with stuff, I went to the Nemo Losi 3p for tripping with my bride. When she dropped out, I got a Helix 2 and love it. The head room is nice, the vestibule adequate.

All these tents worked well for me; all had their strengths and weaknesses. The rain fly on my 1st Nemo leaked on my 1st trip but Nemo quickly replaced it.

As SouthernKevlar suggests, I now use 2 person tents when I solo. I tired of a Cannondale solo tent that was too coffin-like for me after years of use. I couldn’t even sit-up in it without my head touching and it had little room inside for gear.

Last edited:
Current Tents:

Exped Orion 3: My go-to, well-ventilated roomy 4-season 3-person tent that can take pounding rain without a drop getting in. I have been very impressed with this brand and have several of their products. It’s around 9 lbs.

Mountain Hardware Aspect 2: An ultralight 2-person tent at a true 3 lbs. Roomy, light and has stood up to 38 mph horizontal rain. It flexed a bit, but did not break or leak. Impressive for an ultralight!

Black Stump Pop-up Tent: Won as a door prize and used for car camping, this Australian made tent has some of the finest mesh that I have run across on a tent. I can set it up or tear it down in less than a minute.

REI Kingdom 6: For when the wife and I are camping without the trailer or just luxury base camping. The weight is just over 25 lbs.

I can recommend all of these for their particular uses.

“Past Tents”

Diamond Brand canvas wall tent: In Boy Scouts and through college: a tent that lived in the trunk of my car with a sleeping bag. Ah, the scent of old canvas…

Eureka Timberline 2 man tent: Sometime just after college. We even carried it backpacking.

Sierra Design Clip 3: My first easily backpackable tent. Nice design, but not freestanding, so hard to put up in rocky conditions. Around 4 lbs. It wore out from use.

Walrus Swift Solo Tent: Walrus made good stuff. It was not easy to find a solo tent long enough for a 6’2” camper and I could just barely sit up in it. Weight just over 3 lbs. Finally delaminated a few years back.

Eureka Timberline 4-person tent: A roomy car camper for me, my wife and dog.

Mountain Hardwear Nightview tent: A 4-season “convertible” tent (i.e. adjustable ventilation by a zippered panel) I miss this tent, but after somewhere over 450 nights and 18 years of use the rain fly just flat wore out. I replaced it with the Exped Orion 3. Weighed about 8 ½ lbs.

I'm sure that there are a few others that slipped my mind.

Good memories are made outdoors.

Last edited:
I currently have 2 two man tents; a MSR Hubba Hubba that I bought gently used from Yellowcanoe and a Clostnature that I bought new off of Amazon. To be perfectly honest, I haven't noticed much of a difference. I suspect that the MSR will last longer, I have more confidence in it and, therefore, use it on longer trips.

When I bought it, I'd figured the Amazon cheapie was next to disposable but I'm getting close to having an equal number of nights in each. I must say that I've been impressed. Given the price point, it's been a great value.

I have an MSR Elixir 2 and have been quite pleased with it. It’s easy to set up and has many thoughtful design touches.

In the same price range, the REI Half Dome SL 2+ is also really nice; my dad has its predecessor (the Half Dome 2+) and likes it a lot. For the price, it‘s fairly lightweight, and it feels pretty spacious (it splits the difference in size between a 2-person and 3-person tent).

I have an MSR Hubba Hubba as well. Feels pretty bullet proof. Still use my old Eureka Timberline from time to time as well, but if the weather looks iffy the MSR is my go-to.

I appreciate all the feedback. Like I said, I have a 4-Person AM as well as a 10-Person AM. I often have several children with me. A two person is good when it is just me and a younger child. Since I have a lot of daughters, I will let them have the bigger tent and I take the small one. Has anyone experience with the ALPS Mountaineering Lynx?

I have a collection of old but still serviceable tents. The last few years most of people I go with on group trips prefer to use their own tents. So I take my inexpensive Eureka 2p which is comfortable for one but would be cramped with 2. And I also use it on my solo trips. Far from the best tent but I got it at Johnson Outdoors company store at their headquarters in my hometown. It was a floor display model (I don’t remember the name) but it was in perfect condition and a retired SC Johnson employee friend got it with his 30% discount and I think I paid something like $58.00.

I am envious of some of the tents mentioned in this thread, but at age 76 I just don’t care to invest hundreds in another tent. This and some of my other outdoor gear will probably go to the grandchildren in a few more years.

For 2 people I use a Marmot Limelight 3 person. Love everything about the tent but perhaps the best feature is I don't have to crawl in on all fours. Entry is from the side with a big door. I can sit right down inside of the front door and swing both feet in at once. Every year that ground seems further away.

Irrespective of Marmots of yore vs today's Marmots quality, the tent has held up very well.

Back