• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

1940's 16' Thompson Bros wood canvas canoe

Reaction score
I picked this up yesterday. Needs canvas,(filler and paint) and light sanding/varnish also, that's it. No broken ribs, no plank needed, no rot. Cherry gunnels, thwarts, seats, decks, cherry stinger at ends of half ribs, all very good condition.
My friend Bob and I will begin installing the new canvas in late August
https://goo.gl/photos/BoJBMgfW74sPTAvu9

Last edited:
Nice find Robin, we have 2 Thompsons, one about that vintage and one from the early 60's that has fiberglass. Maybe this winter I will attempt my first canvas job.

Nice Robin. If you don't mind me asking, what did you have to pay for it. Don't worry if I'm out of bounds, I know some people don't like to say if they intend to sell it. Nice find, in supper nice condition.
I will be getting that Old Town I looked at last weekend, they accepted my offer of $200.
Jim

I don't mind saying what I paid, $200.

The canoe has spent it's entire life on a small pond on the NY/Ct border. The PO is getting old, it was his Dad's since 1950, and his Mom paid $2000 14 years ago to have it restored by Schuyler Thomson. You can see the canvas starting to come away from the stem in my last picture. He had gone through the usual Craigslist routine a few years ago at a higher price, a bunch of questions by tire kickers, appointment breakers, same old thing. This time he wanted it moved, the add was on CL for a few hours when I saw it. As they say on my hometown Long Island, "oily boid catches da woym" , so this robin was on it!

Nice to hear you got the OT, nice looking canoe.

Nice find Robin, we have 2 Thompsons, one about that vintage and one from the early 60's that has fiberglass. Maybe this winter I will attempt my first canvas job.

It's a well made canoe, my first real look at one. I have seen them at the WCHA assembly but never thought I would buy one. I read where they where made in Wisconsin so I assume they are popular out in your neck of the woods.
I have never worked with an exterior stem, but my friend Bob has. The hull on this one has a few bumps and bruises but I hope we can smooth that out before the canvas. We are undecided on a color at this point, maybe red again, but Bob has painted some canoes dark dark green and they look stunning.

Not sure of the reason but the photos don't come up for me. My guess is there's a glitch in my system somewhere but it sounds like a wonderful find. Glad you were able to snag it. Hope to see it completed when you're all finished.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Not sure of the reason but the photos don't come up for me. My guess is there's a glitch in my system somewhere but it sounds like a wonderful find. Glad you were able to snag it. Hope to see it completed when you're all finished.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

No pics for me either. Tried on two different computers.

Alan

I can see them now, I just started using Google for picture storage as Picasaweb is gone, or so they told me.

I logged out and could still see them.

I'll try photobucket,
wnAtqvKCnuyhrs2jjR_pYR4ITnDMtpBeGlyA8OfuMCzE_kbTjqxe8akrJBRdV9rALrEIMzmfJOVS-Hl1R5DLtjiIL84DTWqRcpzMgJMDAkIHmJmafzh30pTSGd-L7KXovcUZiqiLGvPxd8SZ9zZkung4t8WMHwJ7ywqlaKfr0-OXqaSBXpIWxgWlrZ5tEJrE7BtekAJjHjG6wTWA1OPPjcqF9pIt1ThRiJ3ez2z-F1AB3T06BNEot5dQXeE17V7UdCzpQg3rqV-EJ6Lo7YLkt-ul0GDqocIeF2l-oCpHUyzLsZo5gI8XT-RSLUsOc2fXu0rGx4WNGsXATVEOqQ7PeXFamUTmyN0S5MGnvWIzbLOx8cNPKtIUjPWMW0EoGX76IANGDgXz7AbK3wEwOud_2u8GvDTbqODD51wZE0MHpXVa1wXNstkSEHkp4q_2O7UnjLwoMnxeEqNUNAE-9GzBDBJbFRTLULIZIZos_HgojKfVyXvFfJvLzBxEXSRF8XMbwP-uIOM82CkOGjvlq9mICZylteG5n2RR1SQuaTTHpySJmNsck43ivi2gdpU4fBW1-y39pgsxxC530vb_Cmesoy62GUgxsnQ=w640-h480-no

DSC02042_zps9orq3slk.jpg

and my new english lab pup, "Moose", born an hour north of Bangor in moose country,

Pics are back for me. I think I over paid fo my $200 canoe.
Jim
This was an exceptional deal, I'll never see it again. I have a 15' Chestnut Chum in my shop I paid $500 for that needs a rib, some plank, gunnels and canvas. $200 for an OCTA hull is a good price imo.

New canoe pup?

Yes, he's 9 weeks old, English Lab, just picked him up in Maine. I have 2 -8 year old yellow labs, but neither has ever been in a canoe. When I go on a trip, they keep my wife company and are great for peace of mind.
This new guy will be my companion down the road when I go canoe camping.

I know this is a boating site, and it looks great, but I'm more excited about the puppy. ;)

Enjoy your new friend.

Alan

Thanks Alan, I hate to tell you how much your "tripping with my dog" pictures cost me..haha, can't wait to share some adventures with him.

Niiiice looking boat Robin. I figured out the other day that I have bought $1000 worth of $200 canoes this year so far. I need to quit working on my house so I can get back to boat repairs. We do have another frieghter in the works though and I suspect we may have to score something on the way home this fall to round out the load.

The new dog can be billed as a safety item...he is a retriever correct? When the boat escapes and floats away..he can.....retrieve it.

Back