• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Winter camp is ready to go.

Reaction score
Last couple years my dog Jake and I would hike about 4 days a week and spend the day in winter camp, a snow trekker base camp set up in my pines.
.BFAC3D92-D47A-4C9A-9E06-8C9F55507E19.jpeg

This year after a summer of saving, I purchased a 10x12 wall tent. It is set up as deer camp, but after thanksgiving will be Winter Camp for Jake and I. I am looking forward to another winter of hiking, snowshoeing, hot chocolate, camp chores and the surreal quiet of the winter woods.

E2F3376D-82CB-49D4-8B46-CCA6B2C510D3.jpeg

84841E88-2187-4A2B-939F-CD3C761389BD.jpeg

1536AE2D-59B7-4A72-A8D1-F5BDEE511711.jpeg

FEF7F4C6-CA79-4D1A-9793-A29F863A3119.jpeg

B945F322-A122-4CDE-A3C7-8DD1D61A7170.jpeg

29 years ago a family who owned 2 connecting 40s were quarreling. The decided to sell their properties . Long story short, one party tried to under cut the other as an easement was granted to the land locked 2nd 40. This made the 1st worth MUCH less. My wife and I got it for well under a 1000$/acre. Now we are much more comfortable financially, our children are grown and living adult lives … and we could not afford to buy this property now as price per acre is over 5K .

Most folks never venture out, especially after the snow flies. I do not get it. I live in the drift-less Zone. The Ridges, valleys run every direction. The Rocky outcrops are amazing. It is truly beautiful … and no one sees it except through a window.

Bob.

Appreciate you Rippy. Will do. Hopefully Jake and I will have a lot of winter time adventures up there this year. We are always up for a good timber romp.

PaddlingPitt,

I have no idea how many for winter camp. New tent, larger stove … I am burning mostly Norway Spruce as that is what is right there. I do have some red elm processed right now, but there is not much around in that vicinity. Norway spruce is very dry standing dead. It burns very hot, but not real long. In this stove, ( wilderness from wall tent shop ), it is very air tight and I can really control burn times, even the pine gives good heat for hours while burning pretty clean … so far at least. I will leave camp set up until about March/April some time. By then I am in full blown wood processing mode … making fire wood for the home and moving cords of processed firewood from the drying piles, to the ready to use piles. Once that is complete, it is usually time to start exploring the water again.

My house uses 4.5 to 5 cord every year from mild to darn cold Winters. For that I burn mostly red and black oak.

Bob

That’s a nice set up Bob, looks very comfortable. I myself like the wall tent over the other styles, something nostalgic I guess. I have never set my little wall tent up here at home other than to dry it out before storage, but someday I would like to, especially if a big snow event is rolling in.
A few years ago I set it up in my daughters back yard and we all shared a cup of hot chocolate inside while the cold Maine wind circled the tent. A good memory.
I too would enjoy seeing more pictures as the winter goes on, Thanks.

Last edited:
Great idea. I have a campsite in the back yard next to one million acres of BLM land. I have a wall tent frame set up and poles for a lean to. We will have a fire today and cook dinner. Over the years we have had lots of winter parties outdoors cooking in Dutch Ovens. I also have a set of tipi poles set up. That is the shelter that seems to really capture visitor's imaginations.

It is quiet in the yard except for a few horses, a donkey and some turkey and chickens next door. Quieter than any summer campground. I like to sleep out there. Recently I invited 3 couples for dinner in the wall tent. With the stove going it is quitecharming. Made lasagna on the fire which everyone seemed to like.

Well, the primary gun deer season is over and Jake and I needed a bit of a timber romp so this morning we hiked up to winter camp.
20231128_071354.jpg20231128_071221.jpg

It was single digits this am with a bit of a wind chill. Man it feels good to get into the tent and crank up the wood stove.20231128_071354.jpg

20231128_071459.jpg

Attachments

• 20231128_072918.jpg
    20231128_072918.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20231128_071221.jpg
    20231128_071221.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 6
This post is a mess, trying to do it from winter camp and my phone is not cooperating!

Anyway, we are going to spend 3-4 hours here, then will hike back to the house for breakfast ... after sipping wood stove made hot chocolate and reading for while. There is a simple joy of watching the sun come up, hearing the echos of the crow calls and the penetrating warmth of the wood stove on a cold quiet morning.20231128_074241.jpg

Beautiful camp. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is a bit jealous of your set-up. I had hoped to create something similar after learning of how you pass the winter last year. Had my eyes set on 50 acres of mixed conifers with a classic beech/birch/maple forest. It even had a year round stream that ran through the southern portion of the property. Unfortunately, when I went to check it out, I discovered the property had been transformed into a snowmobile trail system, complete with directional signs, etc. The absentee land owner had no idea this was going on (at least that's what he claimed) but I realized it would have been fruitless to purchase the land and then have to deal with altering the locals habits. While I have nothing against snowmobiles in general, I was looking for a quiet patch of woods and that just wasn't going to happen.

Anyway, your photos have inspired me to start looking again so we'll see how this winter goes.

One last question...why the tennis balls on the foot end of the stove legs? Are you concerned about them sinking into the ground? I've never seen that on a stove so I'm more curious than anything.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Snapper,

Sounds heart breaking losing a chance at a beautiful property like described. Good luck with your search, I hope find a nice quiet place. Jake and I spend a lot of time in winter camp. The kind of solitude winter gives is something I wish I had words to adequately describe.

As to the tennis balls - yes it is to limit sinking in the ground. It is an experiment - a very inexpensive one. The legs of the stove are pretty long. My bet was the conductive heat from the stove would not be enough cause alarm with smoking tennis balls. So far so good - however - I have not had to test severe cold yet, nor have I had severe cold and multiple loading cycles ( several hours of heating ). In deer camp the stove ran many hours, but the temps were in the mid 20's, the stove hardly broke a sweat heating the tent in those temps.

Time will tell if the balls were a good idea or not.

Snapper,

Sounds heart breaking losing a chance at a beautiful property like described. Good luck with your search, I hope find a nice quiet place. Jake and I spend a lot of time in winter camp. The kind of solitude winter gives is something I wish I had words to adequately describe.

As to the tennis balls - yes it is to limit sinking in the ground. It is an experiment - a very inexpensive one. The legs of the stove are pretty long. My bet was the conductive heat from the stove would not be enough cause alarm with smoking tennis balls. So far so good - however - I have not had to test severe cold yet, nor have I had severe cold and multiple loading cycles ( several hours of heating ). In deer camp the stove ran many hours, but the temps were in the mid 20's, the stove hardly broke a sweat heating the tent in those temps.

Time will tell if the balls were a good idea or not.
This is pure bliss to see!
Enjoy my friend!

Well, I picked up my Granddog last night as my son and his girlfriend were traveling to her parents for Christmas/New Years. So naturally we went for a timber romp this morning. Jake is a veteran. But Jordy ( green jacket ) is learning all about the snowy woods and winter camp.

20231229_090700.jpgl

It was a beautiful morning after yesterday's snow. The dogs live for this stuff! I really love watching "dog joy" and today was full of it. We spent about 3 hours exploring the timber and now at home they are napping while I watch sun melt the snow out of the trees. Pretty good day so far. 20231229_110120.jpg20231229_084704.jpg20231229_082552.jpg

We have but 12 acres, not enough for that kind of solitude but I still plan to set up a winter tent. Maybe next year. We still have no snow, temps in the forty’s with rain and drizzle.
Jim

Back