• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Winter camp is ready to go.

So happy for you and the pooches that you have any snow at all. In my part of central NYS we're on our fourth day in a row of rain and temperatures above freezing; even overnight. There is no snow in our forecast other than a flurry and the weather folks are saying we're already 20" behind schedule. I'm just hoping that mid-January into March will make up for it.

That's all for now. Take care, enjoy your winter camp and until next time...be well.

snapper

Snapper,

I feel you. We have had rain and warm temps … this snow was unexpected as it was supposed to be rain. Our trek today was awesome … but the sun and then 40 degree temps are eliminating the snow … leaving us with a lot of muddy brown and grey … yuk.

hoping for some snow Sunday … 🤞🙏🏼

Thanks Robin. We hiked the river bottom today, just under 4 miles. It was beautiful as it got cold again last night ( low 20s ) and the hoar frost was heavy. The dogs loved it … but poor old Jake is limping a bit. We walked a little too far for his hip today. A good nap and dog treat by the wood stove outta Help. 😉

Well today is just too pretty to stay inside! 15 below and bit of a north wind but I need water in winter camp so today I humped nearly a mile on my newly broke snow shoe trail with Portage pack and tump with 4 gallons of water, not too heavy with my snow shoes and good trail.20240115_082743.jpg20240115_082718.jpg20240115_082709.jpg

Last edited:
I enjoy seeing your posts of your winter retreat. Great idea to get outside for some exercise, fresh air, then some quality quiet time.
I am wondering how you keep four gallons of water from turning to ice in a wall tent at -15 degrees Fahrenheit (-26 C.) ?
Packing that much water into your winter camp will keep your portage muscles in shape for warmer weather paddling adventures.

Great question about the water. I have a steel kettle, a large steel coffee pot ( percolator ), and a steel water jacket with spout I can hang on the side of the stove. It is ok when it freezes, it thaws easily, quickly on the stove. Making coffee or hot chocolate is a luxury to enjoy after a long hike or wood processing. Listening to the wind in the pines, reading a book with the sound of soft crackling wood stove and a warm beverage just gives me such a feeling of coziness . It is worth the effort to haul the water. A day spent in camp is one of the happiest things I can do.

Love following your adventures. Just curious, you may have already said this in an earlier post but I'm wondering how large a parcel of property you have to explore? Walking a mile in just to reach your site says either you border state/federal land or you're a major land owner. I'm still looking for land so knowing what is out there could be helpful in my search. Thanks!

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

PS - We finally have some cold temperatures but still pretty devoid of snow...less than 2" as I write this.

We have 80 acres. to get winter camp it is literally up hill the entire way there. My house is nearly in one corner of our property and on a diagonal to just about the furthest opposite corner is where these pines are, thus winter camp. Due to steep valleys and ridge tops I can not walk a straight path to get to it, so it works out to be about .92 miles I believe.

Thanks for your reply. I'm hoping to eventually getting up to 50 acres but will settle for less if need be. A lot of it will depend on accessibility. Lately, all the properties I've visited have a sharp drop-off from the road. No place to even leave my truck before heading downward into the abyss. I certainly don't mind dealing with slopes but this stuff has been steep.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Snapper,

I know you have been looking for land for a while, and heartbreakingly missed out a what sounded like a terrific parcel ... sans snowmobilers . I hope you find your little bit of heaven ... and post pics of your adventures!

Good luck with your search.

Bob.

Bob!

I’ll be right there… got my snowshoes, anorak and whiskey! 😂 Looks awesome…. Coop does the same thing to me when I head out without him. Enjoy that timber and tent!

Cheers
Drew

Well ... with temps drastically warming and rain on the way, Jake and I made what may be our last snow shoe trek ( at least for a while ) up to winter camp. After hanging out for a bit, I put the bucket cap on top of my chimney, then we walked a good bit enjoying the snowy wintery woods and the beauty of the snow sparkling in the sunshine.

Rain and mid to high 30s are on the way tomorrow and the rest of the week. Yuk!

Bob.

20240122_130040.jpg

Last edited:
Well ... with temps drastically warming and rain on the way, Jake and I made what may be our last snow shoe trek ( at least for a while ) up to winter camp. After hanging out for a bit, I put the bucket cap on top of my chimney, then we walked a good bit enjoying the snowy wintery woods and the beauty of the snow sparkling in the sunshine.

Rain and mid to high 30s are on the way tomorrow and the rest of the week. Yuk!

Bob.

View attachment 139253
Coop and I enjoyed some pancakes in the STrekker this weekend
Agree that rain is no fun!

Attachments

• IMG_5203.jpeg
    IMG_5203.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 5
Back