• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Why Are You Here?

I became addicted to likes, and am now in second place overall

We all get addicted to different things at different stages of life. And then, at least in my case, spend the rest of life trying to get unaddicted.

But I have digressed, if not undressed.

What you are addicted to in modern Xenforo lingo, Professor Pitt, is "reaction score", which is a formulaic composite of points awarded for the six possible emoji reactions to a post. The formula is: one point for a Like, Love or Haha; no points for a Wow, Sad or Angry. I can change this reaction score formula, but that's been the formula since our migration to Xenforo.

In any event, I certainly have appreciated, both as a poster and now as administrator, all the contributing members who have become addicted to CanoeTripping.net.

I first came here as a migrant from Solotripping.com when that site started to sputter and go defunct.

I stayed because I sensed this site was becoming, and then did become, the most diverse, detailed, well-written, and picture-rich discussion site dedicated solely to canoes that spanned both the USA and Canada and even a few other countries.

As administrator, I now visit several times a day (and night) because of the incalculable compensation I get to do so.

What you are addicted to in modern Xenforo lingo, Professor Pitt, is "reaction score", which is a formulaic composite of points awarded for the six possible emoji reactions to a post. The formula is: one point for a Like, Love or Haha; no points for a Wow, Sad or Angry. I can change this reaction score formula, but that's been the formula since our migration to Xenforo.

Funny, I just gave Pitt a "Wow", not knowing that it was only monopoly money. I'm sure we could tweak that formula, but it's good to keep "Angry" at zero! Anybody who's angry should sign off and go paddling.

I think you were merely frozen! Ice out soon for you?
We still have three feet of ice, and a big storm headed our way tomorrow. Looks like it is going to be a long time before canoeing, at least the third week of May. Everyone up here is going crazy, it's been a long winter.

I don't remember how I stumbled on the site, but I remember being surprised that there was still a very active canoe tripping community out there.
The big things I got out of it were; through great TRs, realizing that there were great tripping opportunities in beautiful places accessible from the northeast. The second thing was it got me interested in wood canvas canoes, which after acquiring one, greatly increased my enjoyment of paddling.

The reason I check in every day is mainly because it keeps me thinking about canoeing and tripping. I also learn new stuff and get to contribute and share my experience.

I also look forward to meeting new like minded people and hopefully getting out for a paddle.

There’s little I can add to what’s been said. I was reading online canoe stories and found a long trip report by @PaddlingPitt posted on CT. I stayed for the content and “ambiance”. I really enjoy @Mike McCrea posts, both from the standpoint of wanting/needing to outfit my own boats and for the entertainment value. I also value reading about what failed, we learn more from failure than luck. Mike’s writing style is engaging and I learn a lot from him. I might have found Bruce Smith paddles on my own, but @Glenn MacGrady posting about his clued me in to the maker and design, and I absolutely love mine. The canoe builds are inspirational, and make it seem possible that I too could build one. Some day.

I found the site while planning a trip to the BWCA. My first impressions were that there were a lot of trip reports (for a lot of places), there was a surprisingly high percentage of people here doing solo trips (my preferred style), there were people here who were willing to share lifetimes of experiences and that the site lacked the arrogant "old guard" that sometimes predominates these types of forums.

I keep coming back for 3 reasons: first and foremost, because all of the above turned out to be true and then some. I found the information I needed for my trip and became fascinated with the prospect of building a stripper (still haven't started that project but I'm getting close).

Secondly, I really enjoy reading the trip reports and I found that I enjoyed writing one almost as much as I enjoyed my trip. I was also very pleased that so many seemed to appreciate my report and I completely understand Michael's addiction to "likes"... It really IS heart-warming when you know that your work is shared with people who can appreciate and enjoy it.

The 3rd reason I keep coming back (usually morning and evening) is a matter of saving time... The last time I was offline for 12 days, it took me a week to catch up on all the stuff I'd missed!

This is the only online forum in which I participate and I thank each of you for helping maintain the "everyone is welcome around this fire" feeling.

PS: Rob, have you checked in on the Plaid Prancer this winter?... Haven't seen him in a while...

I checked out CT after McCrae told me about it. I keep coming back because the content appeals to me, and it is a source of information that is otherwise hard to find.

I was invited here originally by Willis. He asked if he could post a trip report he had read on another forum and I told him he could, but then I never joined. It is in here somewhere. Then, I got distracted by some other things that absorbed all my time and energy for a while.

I found the new site, at that time run by Robin, because I was planning a canoe trip and probably googled on something that brought up one of his trips. I have sort of followed Robin around based on his recommendations.

Once here, I recognized many people, and it was nice to be with online friends again. I greatly appreciate the trip reports, the humor, the banter (which I am no good at, but much appreciate reading), and the friendliness and willingness to share information.

I am several trip reports behind. That's actually why I quit coming a couple years back. I was embarrassed at not finishing that Suwannee trip report. :(

I was also here from the beginning and echo others' reasons for continuing. I also hope to join some of you on a paddle one of these days. I remember planning a trip with Willis prior to that fateful day. One of these years I will complete the route we planned.

I was invited here originally by Willis. He asked if he could post a trip report he had read on another forum and I told him he could, but then I never joined. It is in here somewhere. Then, I got distracted by some other things that absorbed all my time and energy for a while.

I found the new site, at that time run by Robin, because I was planning a canoe trip and probably googled on something that brought up one of his trips. I have sort of followed Robin around based on his recommendations.

Once here, I recognized many people, and it was nice to be with online friends again. I greatly appreciate the trip reports, the humor, the banter (which I am no good at, but much appreciate reading), and the friendliness and willingness to share information.

I am several trip reports behind. That's actually why I quit coming a couple years back. I was embarrassed at not finishing that Suwannee trip report. :(
Don't be embarrassed.. We don't have expectations of a Trip Report or a video! If they happen they happen! When folks post them I get inspired and discouraged.. I can't do video editing. My old age trips are vastly boring. I drove, I unloaded truck, loaded canoe , paddled a few miles, got out ( and probably fell in during disembarkation) set up camp and the chair and read.. I boiled something for dinner( who cares?). I took pictures 99 percent of which are crap. I went to bed.
I gave up on TR a long time ago!

Been trying to come up with an interesting and fun answer here for the past few days, but drawing a blank. I have no idea how I found this place, but I keep coming back because it really is a community. I've been on message boards for a long time, and have only found one better, and that was only because I knew enough about the overarching topic of the board to contribute. Here I add my 2 cents where I think it might be helpful, or amusing, or in some other way contribute, but mostly I don't have that 2 cents. So I read and learn.

“What you are addicted to in modern Xenforo lingo, Professor Pitt, is "reaction score", which is a formulaic composite of points awarded for the six possible emoji reactions to a post. The formula is: one point for a Like, Love or Haha; no points for a Wow, Sad or Angry. I can change this reaction score formula, but that's been the formula since our migration to Xenforo.”

I have mixed feelings, expressed previously, about the endorphin-release user responses to “Like” buttons, or to an oddly formulaic calculation of emoji “points”. I recognize that function is psychologically designed to be keep users addictively coming back.

They told me about pushers back in grade school; little did they know what the future held. They might have predicted a friend offering 15 year old me a chuck of blond hash in 1971. No one warned me about Facebook or Xenforo fifty years later.

Our total number of posts could be divided by our “reaction score” to establish a Bell Curve passing grade. Best buckle down young man, looks like you need extra credit to pass.

Why are there no two-pointers? Can I get three points for shooting beyond the foul line? How foul is that line?

I think we should put our heads together and come up with a sliding emoji point scale.

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-vector/vector-poop-emoji-1149798785

That’s at least 3 points if used correctly. Bonus points for shaking that money maker.

http://www.skaip.org/mooning-emoticon

I’ll stick with my current (and life-long) comfort addictions, some of which I am enjoying at the moment.

PaddlingPitt, and many others, I thoroughly enjoy your posts, even if I don’t give you two thumbs up and five stars.

EDIT: should have read "thoroughly enjoy". Y'all got my word omitted intentions.

Last edited:
I am several trip reports behind. That's actually why I quit coming a couple years back. I was embarrassed at not finishing that Suwannee trip report.

My old age trips are vastly boring.

but mostly I don't have that 2 cents.
Erica, Kim, Clemency (and anyone else who needs to hear this), never stop. Like any good campfire gathering, everyone brings what they can.

IMO, TRs do not have to be epic narratives that are generously illustrated with gorgeous pictures or sprinkled with videos worthy of an emmy (I think that's film and not acting 🤷‍♂️). Even a quick "I went, it was disappointing" (and why) is helpful.

PS: the Suwannee report that you did was enough to get me thinking about starting in the Okefenokee & heading south. I doubt I'd have considered it otherwise.

I'm guilty of starting the tangent of how reaction score is computed, but I'd like that tangent not to be pursued any further in this thread. We can have a different thread on reaction scores and trophy points. In this thread, let's continue to stick to the interesting OP topic of why folks come to or stay on this site. Thank you.

Erica, Kim, Clemency (and anyone else who needs to hear this), never stop. Like any good campfire gathering, everyone brings what they can.

IMO, TRs do not have to be epic narratives that are generously illustrated with gorgeous pictures or sprinkled with videos worthy of an emmy (I think that's film and not acting 🤷‍♂️). Even a quick "I went, it was disappointing" (and why) is helpful.

PS: the Suwannee report that you did was enough to get me thinking about starting in the Okefenokee & heading south. I doubt I'd have considered it otherwise.
Is there any chance that you live near the advertising company for clothing that you buy through the mail{a ways back} I spent a late night almost behind the (?) factory waiting for a meet-up to paddle....

Waterspyder told me after we went on a few trips about this site and the moderator (Robin) lived close by in Connecticut. We figured there would be more opportunities to find out about new places to paddle.
I like reading the trip TR and looking at maps now to see where folks are going.
I like reading the gear forum plus Mike McCrea helped me out when i bought that Monarch canoe.
Everyone so polite, I was gifted a cold handle skillet and a cool portage pack that I believe used to belong to Memaquay. I took pictures with it in NYC years ago for fun.
Boatman53 has been helpful helping with fixing a boat.
Robin has been extremely friendly and cheered me on when I picked up a chestnut chum.

I enjoy reading the threads and wish I got involved into paddling when I was younger.
61 yo now, started kayaking around 2007 then bad knees got me into pack and canoes around 2011 I think. Did go on paddling.net and recognized a few names when I joined.
Thanks to waterspyder for finding this site.
Best wishes to all.

when I met Robin and bought the old town camper we were going to paddle a river near him.
I looked out the window and my eyes popped open looking at the waves. 😮
Robin replied “it’s a bit sketchy”. Holy smokes.
Long story short, Robin paddled beautifully and waited on the side of the river at each rapid.
Not to sure of his expression when waterspyder and I passed him going down the rapids…..BACKWARDS! I’m laughing right now, I recall hanging on and letting the waves take us around the edges until ….. splash!
Of course money changed hands before we stared our voyage. That nice blue canoe bore our white water marks.
Precious memory. 👍.
I’m still a beginner and just enjoy getting out and checking out our beautiful planet.
Best to all.

Not to sure of his expression when waterspyder and I passed him going down the rapids…..BACKWARDS! I’m laughing right now, I recall hanging on and letting the waves take us around the edges until ….. splash!
I still claim I got my end of the canoe (front) around the rock. The next thing I know I'm in the water yelling to Coldfeet to get his feet up and facing down river.
If you want a real laugh ask Coldfeet about removing the surgical stitches from his head while on a paddling trip. Then you'll have a good understanding of what it's like to paddle with him. Lets just say it will be fun and you won't know if you are laughing with him or at him, until tears run down you cheeks.

Last edited:
Back