• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Whitewater Canoeing Videos In an Old Town Camper

Reaction score
I thought I'd share this YouTube channel of a guy in Japan who does whitewater canoeing using an Old Town Camper. In one of his videos he shows that his "saddle" is made from a metal ammo box with some foam padding glued to the top that he velcros to the bottom with a couple of D-rings and a strap. The videos are quite well shot.

Maybe it is because I am still developing my own whitewater paddling skills, but I am impressed with what this guy accomplishes in a boat that I've never seen mentioned as a particularly good whitewater canoe.

Fun stuff! His use of pries in the thick of it is enlightening--I always expected gremlins to grab my paddle. I think I'd add some floatation for that water.

I do see some small end flotation bags in some of his videos, but yeah, I'd want some bigger bags if I were running some of the stuff he is running.
Noticed that. BITD when I was paddling whitewater, the boat was all bags except for where I was kneeling (OT 16 Penobscot)!

Coincidentally, I watched several of that guy's videos about two weeks ago, and was similarly impressed by the functionality of the OT Camper for whitewater. He has to use current differentials to turn the canoe more so than he would in a more rockered canoe, but does so with skill.

I use my Old Town Charles River royalex in much the same way he is doing. It certainly works and considering the available canoes in my country it has to be consider it a great canoe. It won't spin around on a dime unless you use the way the waters flow to help you, so you are forced to learn to do it right. Remember Mr. Mason did some quite impressive rapid runs in his PAL and that sure worked out great, for the most part.

Back