• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

What type of canoe is this?

Reaction score
I stumbled upon this advertisement and while I'm not interested in purchasing, I am interested in knowing more about the canoe. It says "Cedar strip" but it looks more like a wood canvas but the exterior looks like birch bark or is it just made to look like birch bark. What is it?
Sorry, I know that some of the members here aren't on Facebook so will likely not be able to access the advertisement.

16' Cedar Strip Canoe. Made by Red House Canoes in Fenwick, Ontario. It was built as a moose hunting canoe. Light weight, water tight and capable of carrying a heavy load. It has some of the clear coat peeling, but does not affect performance and an easy fix with a new coat. Comes with two hand made paddles, a storage box built for the canoe, and stabilizers.

Canoe 1.jpgCanoe 2.jpgCanoe 3.jpgCanoe 4.jpg

Last edited:
See the link below for a similar example.

Benson

I'm wondering what those black doohickeys are on the ends of the thwart. I'm guessing they are involved with attaching the stabilizers, whatever they are.

It says "Cedar strip" but it looks more like a wood canvas but the exterior looks like birch bark or is it just made to look like birch bark. What is it?

I'm from Ontario, my family owned a Peterborough and when it was stolen in the mid-60's a Lakefield, both were w/c and both plus any of the same type were always referred to as "cedar strip" in these parts.

Tarting them up as faux birch bark was somewhat common especially for the lower priced "cottage canoes".

Jim Holman the builder/owner of Red House died in 2016.

It is a very cool canoe. The birch bark does not look real, but who knows? Is is possible that there is a layer of fiberglass on the hull? I have never seen anything like it.

Interesting story about the builder. I didn't know that builders would go to such lengths to make a canoe look like birch bark (it looks difficult to me).
I, too, think that the black doohickeys are for the stabilizers - whatever they are. The ad had a picture of the storage box but no picture of the stabilizers.
Canoe 5.jpg

Thanks everyone.

Back