• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

What kind of paddle do you use in the stern?

Reaction score
I have a Northstar North Wind 17 on order.
I've been doing some paddle shopping, New boat, new paddle.
This would be for class one river trips, like Labyrinth and Upper Missouri.
No question I'll have a bent shaft for the bow paddler.
Just wondering what sort of paddle most of you use, in the stern, for this type of paddling, and why?

depending on the water I'll use 3 different ones- a sugar island in the bony stuff, a beavertail for regular river paddling with some decent depth, or my ottertail for long, slow, deep stretches, all in different lengths due to the changes in blade sizes.

Very similar to scoutergriz.

Depends on whats going on up front too. If they’re moving a lot of water or if I need to correct more and we’re in a hurry (storm, waves, wind, schedule), I will go with a wider blade.

Bob

depending on the water I'll use 3 different ones- a sugar island in the bony stuff, a beavertail for regular river paddling with some decent depth, or my ottertail for long, slow, deep stretches, all in different lengths due to the changes in blade sizes.
That's kind of my thinking too.
I'd like to get some use out of my Fishell paddles, but a lot of shallow water around here. Especially this past year.

I ordered paddles when I ordered my Northstar B17. I ended up with a BB Viper (double bend) up front for my wife and a BB Expedition Plus (straight) for me in the rear, but will probably add an explorer plus to
the boat for swifter water in lieu of the viper.

Don’t ask me how they are, haha, don’t have the boat nor the paddles yet! 🤣

Last year I was given a BB Expedition Plus as a B-day gift. As the year wore on it has become my main paddle for rivers.

At first, I Stowed it aboard as the spare for a 150-mile trip down the Delaware River. Well, this past year in the northeast wasn't a good year for water levels on any river. Two miles into the trip I decided I better beat up a Store-bought paddle that was free to me. Instead of running my hand-made ash & maple paddle across every rock in that river. After that trip, it's just kinda been my river paddle. Surprised that is held up so well with all my goon stroking. Flat water I use a hand-made beaver tail that I made when I was a scout 25 years ago.

Depends on water depth and whether kneeling or sitting.. Sitting a 12 degree bent. Kneeling a straight shaft. When the river gets rambunctious a straight shaft Sugar Island .

Northwoods paddling.. otter tail. However not often used on moving water. If you have to stand and scout , a Maine Guide Paddle so you can stand and yet have control and paddle.

For flat water, either quiet or moving, almost always a bent shaft. I frequently use a bent shaft paddle either sitting or kneeling.

For anything on moving water that is more than slightly technical, a straight shaft paddle with a Sugar Island type of blade. For whitewater a synthetic straight shaft paddle with a T grip.

But I most often have both a straight shaft and bent shaft paddle at hand.

Mitchell North Star (preferred) or a BB Loon. Don't have to baby either of them.

Better let your bow paddler decide what s/he wants. My wife keeps stealing the Mitchell, though she has a perfectly good BB Special of her own. Hence the Loon.

I have a BB Expedition plus, but haven't used it yet.
I was kind of saving it for some mild whitewater, but it would probably make a good stern paddle on anything.
I'm looking forward to trying my new Wenonah Tour Lite elbow.
I'm hoping the 10 degree bend (instead of 12) will make it better for correction strokes.
I'd prefer a smaller blade, but fantastic paddle, otherwise.

I always have two straight shafts. Blade shape doesn't matter to much to me. One would be at my ideal length with a fine blade, the other about 6 inches longer and stouter for windy conditions or shallow and rocky. I originally took the longer one for standing, but use it less for that and more for wind.

I use a plastic / aluminum POS I picked up at (I think) Cabela's. I'm not real fussy... As long as it moves water, I'm good.
The Carlisle plastic with aluminum shaft paddles, that most rentals come with, have gotten thousands of canoeists down rivers and across lakes. They aren't pretty but perfectly functional. On the other hand, once you've paddled with a really nice paddle it's hard to go back.

I was just using a Carlyle this past week, it sure wasn’t as nice as the Hawaiian made bent shaft with a carbon blade and wood shaft that I used with another guy. That was a nice one, less than 20 ounces.

Here is a shot from earlier this fall View attachment 133569
Pretty boat! What is it?
As I think I mentioned, I just got a Wenonah Tour Lite elbow. Nicest sub $200 composite paddle I've ever seen.
I'm guessing, from the photo, it wouldn't be your cup of tea.
I have mostly wood paddles, including several ottertails and a couple beavertails. I have quite a few paddles that haven't even touched water yet. Next year.

I have a BB Expedition plus, but haven't used it yet.
I was kind of saving it for some mild whitewater, but it would probably make a good stern paddle on anything.
I'm looking forward to trying my new Wenonah Tour Lite elbow.
I'm hoping the 10 degree bend (instead of 12) will make it better for correction strokes.
I'd prefer a smaller blade, but fantastic paddle, otherwise.
The two paddles you mention are similar to what I'd bring on a tandem canoe river trip with white water. But if there aren't any bouldery rapids or shallow rocky sections I prefer a lighter bent blade and a much lighter straight blade because I'm not worried about impact durability. If the river is slow moving or just big swift water, then I tend to bring two lightweight bent blades, one as a spare. I like a wider bent blade for the stern and a 10 degree bend isn't a bad idea.

After paddling with lighter weight paddles (under 16 oz.) I'm convinced of the benefits to my shoulders, arms, and wrists, especially as I get older. And a well made paddle, even a lightweight, is pretty darn tough. After using them in shallow stoney swift water I'm impressed with just how durable they are if you don't abuse them. A good paddle is a good investment. And the weight isn't an absolute deal breaker, a couple of my heavier straight shaft paddles (18oz. & 19oz.) are my favorites because of their swing weight. :)

Last edited:
I built a paddle from ash, walnut and mahogany and it has been in use for almost 30 years. It is not the lightest paddle but stands up to rocks in rivers. Sometimes I use a wood kayak paddle, sometimes a light commercial paddle, rarely a bent shaft on a lake. Once I paddled with an old coal shovel.

Pretty boat! What is it?
As I think I mentioned, I just got a Wenonah Tour Lite elbow. Nicest sub $200 composite paddle I've ever seen.
I'm guessing, from the photo, it wouldn't be your cup of tea.
I have mostly wood paddles, including several ottertails and a couple beavertails. I have quite a few paddles that haven't even touched water yet. Next year.
It is my 20' EM White built by Island Falls in Maine back in 98'.

That Wenonah paddle does look like a good value, good luck with it, and those paddles you haven't tried yet.

Back