• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

What kind of paddle do you use in the stern?

Ottertail or beavertail. I make my own. I have a BB Expedition, but that is my rock and ice paddle, definitely not as nice to use as the long blade traditionals.

At the risk of hijacking the thread (the OP specified Class 1 rivers, and I'm about to talk about flatwater):

The last few tandem trips I took the bow paddler was not particularly powerful. I've decided that the most efficient correction stroke is the one you don't have to make, so in deep water I started using a Badger Sliver. It's not a very powerful paddle, which means it's better power-balanced with a weaker bow paddler and needs less corrections to keep a straight track. I also carry another paddle for shallow water - last couple times it was an ash beavertail, but when we had to push through some shallow water with sandy bottom the end finish got pretty wrecked. Next time I'll probably take the Badger Sliver for deep water and my BB Catalyst for shallow water.

Those Carlisles plastic/aluminum paddles, and the similar Mohawk paddles, are nearly bombproof and great for taking a lot of abuse on river trips.

As an aside, Carlisle keeps getting bought and sold by conglomerates. The last time I ordered Mohawk paddles a couple years ago you still had to print out an order form, then scan and email (or fax!) it back to the owner-operator, who will gladly customize to your liking. So if supporting small businesses appeals consider Mohawk. (For a while I thought about getting him to make me a paddle with an insert for standing paddling, but decided that having a spare insert bouncing around the bottom when not in use wasn't worth it.)

Back