• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

What are you reading?

Just finished Bush Runner - The Adventures of Pierre-Esprit Radisson by Mark Bourrie from 2019.
P-E was abducted and adopted by Mohawks. Later he teamed up with brother in-law des Groseilliers and founded the Hudson's Bay Company (at least in his own mind). The title Bush Runner is a bit unfortunate in my opinion. I did loose track how many times he crossed the ocean blue though. Interesting look into 17th century life. Main take-away for me, the good old days were just as bad as our time.

Bush Runner.jpg

stannard.jpg
J. Stannard Baker: "Paddling Through Depression-Era Europe - Eight Countries By Canoe & K***k". A young couple from Chicago spends the summer of 1931 on the rivers and canals of Europe including southern France, Switzerland, Austria, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, and Germany. It looks like their kids published their journals in 2020. Very enjoyable read with good insights and many nice photos.

Last edited:
E6BCEFFE-84A7-4593-8644-6172682D9B4C.jpegBBB28105-0F82-44BD-A59E-25AE89BDCC53.jpeg
This is a book I found in a Pa. Antique shop. It is an informational book and not the book you would take to kill time on a trip as according to the author, LL Bean, it should only take 85 minutes to read. The interesting thing is that there are five duplicate chapters in the back of the book that Bean suggests cutting out and keeping on your person when big game hunting.

"Tall Trees, Tough Men (A Vivid, Anectdotal History of Logging and Log-Driving in New England)" by Robert Pike. Very entertaining and informative.

Last edited:
I had to fly to SoCal last week which gave me a chance to read "Storied Lands & Waters of the Allagash Wilderness Waterway" by Bruce Jacobson.

The book tells the stories of the AWW, inventorying the assets that are in the Waterway, talks about how to improve those assets, and designs future interpretive opportunities for the public.

There's some dry reading in it but it's a central collection for all things Allagash.

EC761BE3-F84E-468F-920B-82EDDA65B9D9.jpeg
I’m sure many of you have read this classic. I am enjoying it. Written in the late 80s about the Nahanni River, the authors experience traveling there, and the lore surrounding the area.

Disappearances, by Howard Frank Mosher; for the third or fourth time. Like many of his books, this is set in the fictional town of Kingdom Common, in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont. A lively and magical story of life in Prohibition era rural Vermont involving folklore, charismatic characters, and a bit of rum-running via birchbark canoe on Lake Memphramagog. I highly recommend his many books about Vermont characters. By the way, this story was made into a motion picture starring Kris Kristofferson in the primary role. Also an entertaining version of the story.

Just finished -

Fred Bear's Field Notes

Starting -

Blood and Thunder.

About Kit Carson

Last edited:
Found these articles from an old canoe journal when I was going through my files.

Attachments

• Postcards from the Highway of the Adirondacks Parts 1 & 2.pdf
    5 MB · Views: 19
  • Voyaging Through the Saranac Lakes.pdf
    4 MB · Views: 8
Just finished this:
Several stories interwoven within the book. The body of a canoeist is found with the contact information of a journalist in his belongings. The journalist then pieces together the life and possible last days of the gregarious "homeless" traveler.

Riverman.jpg

Paddling on Long Lake in December in 15° F weather and snow. From the stern. Hard core!

Mike Hurley and I did a few trips together, ADKs, Temagami, LaVerendrye. We got along well, what do they say, kindred spirits. He carried a lot of gear which he set up for photos to be used in his quarterly “Hurleys Journal”. He paddled a 15’ wood canvas Chemun, used a big heavy “campfire tent”, open with no floor, big heavy tripod for hanging a cast iron pot, guitar ( he only knew one song, “Mommas, don’t let your babies grow up to be Cowboys”). Nice guy, fond memories, we still keep in touch.
214586CB-7529-4089-A5BD-83052E91310B.jpeg29BD8BFD-B130-4E67-BCBC-53C270CAA52B.jpeg

A Tale Of Two Cities. I've never read it, don't spoil it.

Oddly, I'm a voracious reader of non fiction. Biographies, news, self help books, you name it. But I don't really read much fiction these days. I'm trying to go through a bunch of the classics, the "100 books you need to read before you die" type of books. I just finished Lord Of The Flies.

Back