• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Wenonah Tour Lite elbow unboxing impressions.

As a very general principle not considering weight and blade/shaft balance, many paddlers prefer a larger blade for a slower, recreational and touring pace, and a smaller blade for a faster, racing or exercise pace.

You can get carbon paddles in a variety of widths from ZRE, but they are probably now quite a bit more expensive than Wenonahs.

For the same size blade, I've found ZRE's Power Surge power face geometry to be my favorite, over and above simple curved or flat power faces.

For non-racing, casual recreation pace, I prefer wider carbon bent shafts than the standard ZRE racing blade width of 8.0" to 8.25". My favorite ZRE width is 8.75", which you may have to find in their outrigger canoe line of paddles for a Power Surge. The Wenonah Black Lite and Tour Lite paddles are 8.875" in width but, even so, seem less powerful than my 8.75" ZRE Power Surge.

Proper balance and swing weight is of paramount importance to me for the tens of thousands of strokes per day, much more so than sturdiness for occasional rock bashing. So, all my blade heavy paddles never see any use any more.

Bottom line: If you think Wenonah Lite paddles are too wide, you will have to spring for some other brand that offers narrower widths such as ZRE, GRB Newman, or maybe one of the outrigger paddle makers.
I'm wondering what you consider a well balanced paddle? I mean, where would the balance point be?
I would guess the perfect balance point would be about where you put your lower hand so, maybe, one and a half hands above the throat.
These Tour Lites balance just above the throat, so not crazy out of balance.

No, not at all. They may even be blade light, which is not a bad thing. Perhaps they build up the shaft in diameter and weight to overbalance the blade.
The shaft and grip are pretty fat. OK for me, but like I said, maybe a bit fat for smaller hands.

Back