• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Wenonah Tour Lite elbow unboxing impressions.

Reaction score
I was really looking to buy a new straight shaft paddle for use in the stern of my new North Wind 17.
Somehow, I ended up ordering a Tour Lite Elbow. Crazy!
I got it last evening and unboxed it.
My first reaction was holy crap! This is a really nice paddle.
Build quality is excellent to superb.
Everything is shiny and smooth.
Carbon shaft and grip with fiberglass blade.
Bend is only 10 degrees, which has plusses and minuses.
Huge blade. Not sure what the area is, but it's big. Shaped like a Zaveral blade.
They say the blade is "smoke" color, but it looks white to me. Kind of attractive.
I wanted the fiberglass blade. It's a bit cheaper and tougher than carbon. I won't mind shoving off a rocky shore.
Still pretty light at 16 ounces, but Cliff Jacobson says that balance is more important than weight. Based on that I'd say he wouldn't like this paddle because it's blade heavy.
My overall impression is that this paddle was meant for big burly men, not old geezers, like me, or 90 lb. women.
But if you are young and strong, and paddle in rocky places, this would be a fantastic choice.

Still pretty light at 16 ounces, but Cliff Jacobson says that balance is more important than weight. Based on that I'd say he wouldn't like this paddle because it's blade heavy.
My overall impression is that this paddle was meant for big burly men, not old geezers, like me, or 90 lb. women.

Doesn't sound like you're really satisfied with this paddle, IS. An unsatisfactory paddle will be an unused paddle and a waste of money. Why not return it for the Black Lite, which is only $25 more with Wenonah's current excellent sale prices. My two Black Lites are 13 ounces, are not blade heavy, and I would use them to push off rocks carefully if need be. Carbon blades are tough. Whitewater paddlers use them.

Doesn't sound like you're really satisfied with this paddle, IS. An unsatisfactory paddle will be an unused paddle and a waste of money. Why not return it for the Black Lite, which is only $25 more with Wenonah's current excellent sale prices. My two Black Lites are 13 ounces, are not blade heavy, and I would use them to push off rocks carefully if need be. Carbon blades are tough. Whitewater paddlers use them.
Because, as far as I can tell, the Black Lite elbow has the same blade area as the Tour Lite, and blade area is really my only complaint about the Tour Lite. Oversize shipping is a lot.
I'm over six feet, so the fat grip and shaft are fine for me. Cliff wouldn't like the balance, but I don't know, yet, if it would bother me.
The Tour LIte is about the same blade area as my BB Viper and my BB Expedition Special, but I haven't really had a chance to use them either.
Last summer, I used my Oak Orchard bent (Max something), which has a pretty big blade, on a trip and felt that it was too much, but the blades are pretty different, so I'm not sure what to think.
I did order a Wenonah Black Lite straight shaft, which has a completely different blade.

big blades mean slower cadence. And wider means more torque on the edges. However My Zav is that shape and also wide. But its far lighter. Wide doesn't mean that it isn't for smaller people. or old geezers. My hubby uses a Red River paddle that is almost 10 inches wide and he is near 80. However balance is paramount so you will have to see about that.

If I gave the impression that I don't like this paddle, I gave the wrong impression.
I'm extremely impressed with the quality.
Even at full price I think it's an exceptional value.
I am concerned about the size of the blade.
Someone with smaller hands than mine might find the grip and shaft a bit large.
If you take a 20 oz. paddle and remove four ounces from the shaft, is it now a worse paddle because it's no longer balanced?
I'm not so sure.

big blades mean slower cadence. And wider means more torque on the edges. However My Zav is that shape and also wide. But its far lighter. Wide doesn't mean that it isn't for smaller people. or old geezers. My hubby uses a Red River paddle that is almost 10 inches wide and he is near 80. However balance is paramount so you will have to see about that.
I wish I'd paddled with my BB Viper last summer. I'd probably have a better idea about the blades size.
Your hubby might have been stronger than me to begin with and, after numerous operations, I'm not the man I used to be or should be at my age. But I've been trying to build myself back up, so there's still hope.
If I were just using it to paddle out to my favorite fishing spot, I might like a big blade, but I'm looking at 30 mile days on flat water rivers.
I wanted a Werner Churchill paddle, but when I saw this for a lot less money, I thought I'd give it a try.
Can't wait till spring to try it out.

I got myself a Carbon/Kevlar Wenonah paddle a few years ago and love it. I have a few Zavs that I use mostly but I really like the blade width of that Wenonah.

As mentioned above, it may slow cadence slightly being a bit wider and heavier but I'm pushing much more water with it. I tend to keep a higher paddle pace but since I'm not racing I think the pay off of the wider blade is well worth it.

I'm not completely sold on "narrower is better", especially outside of racing canoes.

I used a Wenonah Black Lite Elbow for a season or two and it held up really well with the rock bashing that I give. But compared to the Zav's they seem to "slip" in the water a little more than I like. The Zav's have a lot better catch IMO. And the mediums are just as tough.

For trips you should get many years out of your Wenonah paddle.

I got myself a Carbon/Kevlar Wenonah paddle a few years ago and love it. I have a few Zavs that I use mostly but I really like the blade width of that Wenonah.

As mentioned above, it may slow cadence slightly being a bit wider and heavier but I'm pushing much more water with it. I tend to keep a higher paddle pace but since I'm not racing I think the pay off of the wider blade is well worth it.

I'm not completely sold on "narrower is better", especially outside of racing canoes.
Well, I hope you are right and I like the Tour Lite.

I used a Wenonah Black Lite Elbow for a season or two and it held up really well with the rock bashing that I give. But compared to the Zav's they seem to "slip" in the water a little more than I like. The Zav's have a lot better catch IMO. And the mediums are just as tough.

For trips you should get many years out of your Wenonah paddle.
I have two ZRE recreational paddles (had three). They are nice, but the black shows up scratches really bad and the edges get shredded.
I think what I may not like about the Oak Orchard paddle is it's got a curved blade so it has a real solid catch. That may sound like a good thing, but I think it is rough on my joints and tires me out more quickly. Just a theory at this point.
If I were wealthier, I'd get a ZRE Power Surge, or whatever they're called, just to see if it's all it's cracked up to be.

I have two ZRE recreational paddles (had three). They are nice, but the black shows up scratches really bad and the edges get shredded.
What does the edges look like on the ZRE? Do you have any pictures?

I think what I may not like about the Oak Orchard paddle is it's got a curved blade so it has a real solid catch. That may sound like a good thing, but I think it is rough on my joints and tires me out more quickly. Just a theory at this point.
You may like those Wenonah a lot more then. They are a little softer catch and a little less stress on the elbows.

If I were wealthier, I'd get a ZRE Power Surge, or whatever they're called, just to see if it's all it's cracked up to be.

Generally if you can find a local single person dealer for ZRE you can get a discounted price on paddles. I have someone that live close to me that is an individual dealer that I order all my ZRE stuff through and save a little. Makes it a little easier to swallow that new Power Surge because they are nice!

I've had a few Zav paddles with edge problems but only as a result of long term abuse. I'd use them for fitness paddling upstream and in very shallow water they often got drug over rocks and gravel bars. The edges would slowly wear away until it reached the foam core at which point the layers would show separation. I doubt this is unique to Zav paddles.

It was simple enough to wrap the edges once this happened. After it happened a couple times I began wrapping the edges of new paddles with dynel (2 layers). Ugly as all get out but it resolved my problem. Thankfully, for me, I couldn't care less what a paddle looks like.

Alan

I had a Power Surge and really didn't care for it at all. I found it smaller than my liking and didn't feel I was getting the catch that I was with their flat water blades. They are popular in the racing community, probably for a quicker turnover. But in my opinion, if you're young and strong padler wouldn't you want a bit more surface in the water? Why not go for a Greenland style blade, imagine the RPMs. :p

I am concerned about the size of the blade.

As a very general principle not considering weight and blade/shaft balance, many paddlers prefer a larger blade for a slower, recreational and touring pace, and a smaller blade for a faster, racing or exercise pace.

You can get carbon paddles in a variety of widths from ZRE, but they are probably now quite a bit more expensive than Wenonahs.

For the same size blade, I've found ZRE's Power Surge power face geometry to be my favorite, over and above simple curved or flat power faces.

For non-racing, casual recreation pace, I prefer wider carbon bent shafts than the standard ZRE racing blade width of 8.0" to 8.25". My favorite ZRE width is 8.75", which you may have to find in their outrigger canoe line of paddles for a Power Surge. The Wenonah Black Lite and Tour Lite paddles are 8.875" in width but, even so, seem less powerful than my 8.75" ZRE Power Surge.

Proper balance and swing weight is of paramount importance to me for the tens of thousands of strokes per day, much more so than sturdiness for occasional rock bashing. So, all my blade heavy paddles never see any use any more.

Bottom line: If you think Wenonah Lite paddles are too wide, you will have to spring for some other brand that offers narrower widths such as ZRE, GRB Newman, or maybe one of the outrigger paddle makers.

I had a Power Surge and really didn't care for it at all. I found it smaller than my liking and didn't feel I was getting the catch that I was with their flat water blades. They are popular in the racing community, probably for a quicker turnover. But in my opinion, if you're young and strong padler wouldn't you want a bit more surface in the water? Why not go for a Greenland style blade, imagine the RPMs. :p
I'm no longer a young and strong paddler. I was, about thirty years ago.
I actually have thought about getting a Greenland paddle. I've paddled with the local seakayak club a few times and a lot of them are Greenalnd enthusiasts. Looking at Gearlab paddles. Kind of expensive.

You may like those Wenonah a lot more then. They are a little softer catch and a little less stress on the elbows.

Generally if you can find a local single person dealer for ZRE you can get a discounted price on paddles. I have someone that live close to me that is an individual dealer that I order all my ZRE stuff through and save a little. Makes it a little easier to swallow that new Power Surge because they are nice!
No pictures. When I say shredded, that probably sounds worse than it is. Just not something you want to see on your best BWCAW paddle.

Yesterday my Black Lite straight shaft came, only it wasn't a straight shaft.
Whoever filled to order put a Black Lite elbow in the box.
So, I'm still waiting for the straight. At least Wenonah didn't wait to get the elbow back before shipping the straight.

I'll have to check the ZRE dealer list, but ZRE is more of a back east thing. There are certainly people in my club that have them, but you see a lot more straight shaft.

As a very general principle not considering weight and blade/shaft balance, many paddlers prefer a larger blade for a slower, recreational and touring pace, and a smaller blade for a faster, racing or exercise pace.

You can get carbon paddles in a variety of widths from ZRE, but they are probably now quite a bit more expensive than Wenonahs.

For the same size blade, I've found ZRE's Power Surge power face geometry to be my favorite, over and above simple curved or flat power faces.

For non-racing, casual recreation pace, I prefer wider carbon bent shafts than the standard ZRE racing blade width of 8.0" to 8.25". My favorite ZRE width is 8.75", which you may have to find in their outrigger canoe line of paddles for a Power Surge. The Wenonah Black Lite and Tour Lite paddles are 8.875" in width but, even so, seem less powerful than my 8.75" ZRE Power Surge.

Proper balance and swing weight is of paramount importance to me for the tens of thousands of strokes per day, much more so than sturdiness for occasional rock bashing. So, all my blade heavy paddles never see any use any more.

Bottom line: If you think Wenonah Lite paddles are too wide, you will have to spring for some other brand that offers narrower widths such as ZRE, GRB Newman, or maybe one of the outrigger paddle makers.
Next year I'm going to try, really hard, to get out with the solo canoe a lot more and try different paddles and get a better feel for what I like and don't like. Last summer I was out with my IK a couple times a week and really got a good idea what I like in double blades. I have way more paddles than I need, but that may be a good thing until I settle on one or two.

I'll have to check the ZRE dealer list, but ZRE is more of a back east thing. There are certainly people in my club that have them, but you see a lot more straight shaft.
ZRE has a blemished discount that's worth looking at. I've bought 2 blems, and they are irrelevant. I also have the Wenonah Black Lite Elbow--I prefer the ZRE, but the Lite is certainly functional.

Back