• Happy (Ancient) May Day! 🎀💈💃🏼🧺💐🍴

Time to make some webbing loops

G

I need to replenish the shop stash of webbing loops with 3/16 inch holes for machine screws or pop rivets, and might as well do a production run.

Maybe something other than just boring black this time. Let’s see what I have in the webbing scrap box

Very colorful. Ready to cut up into 8 inch and 6 inch lengths with a hot putty knife on a measured cutting board.

Mobius half twist, ends taped flat and Sharpie targeted for the holes.

20-penny common nail heated with a propane torch makes perfectly sized & sealed 3/16 inch holes for machine screws, pop rivets or screws.

The tape is just there to keep my clumsy fingers away from a red hot nail, and to keep the ends flush and even.

Why it’s like an Easter Parade of webbing loops. A bit garish even for me, but these are “gifts” for friends.

Friends who I know are lazy enough not to stop and make their own when in the middle of an outfitting job. Guaran-dang-teed they will just use these.

BWAHAHAHA!

I need to make some for my truck.
Thanks for reminding me !

You
re lucky I don't live closer !

Jim

I need to make some for my truck.
Thanks for reminding me !

There are a dozen or more half twist webbing loops in strategic spots in the bed/undercap of my tripping truck. I can stack gear and strap it in place so it doesn’t fall off onto my sleeping platform along the road.

The application where I find those handiest is on the shank ends of machine screws through thwarts and yokes. There is already a drilled hole, machine screw, washer and nylock; all I need to do is slip the webbing loop in place and I have as sturdy a tie down point as can be made.

lucky I don't live closer !

I would happily mail a selection of Easter Bunny hued webbing loops to Iowa, but I suspect you would prefer to make your own from less garish black or green.

If I mail them to DougD they will end up installed on some canoe.

Where did I put that fuchsia webbing?

If I mail them to DougD they will end up installed on some canoe.

Where did I put that fuchsia webbing?

Oh there it is!

Happy Easter Doug. I just need to think of some graphic faux label for the back of the package.

Putting loops on the thwart is a good idea !
One might be able to incorporate a foot brace.

Thanks for the offer ! I'm like you, I like making my own stuff, but welcome ideas !!!

Jim

I mounted a bunch of these in my Rendezvous. Some, I used Mike's recommended "mobius half twist," some I did without the twist. After multiple years using these, I prefer the loops without the twist. I can more easily thread and tension a rope through the straight loops than the loops with the half twist. I spoke to Mike before making the loops and followed exactly the procedure he outlines above. It worked great. Obviously, Mike likes the twist, so maybe it is just a matter of personal preference. But the loops themselves work wonderfully and I thank Mike for the inspiration and guidance.

I mounted a bunch of these in my Rendezvous. Some, I used Mike's recommended "mobius half twist," some I did without the twist. After multiple years using these, I prefer the loops without the twist. I can more easily thread and tension a rope through the straight loops than the loops with the half twist.

I use either, depending on the where, why and how.

Thinner webbing tends to scrunch up worse with the half twist loops when tautly laced with diagonal line. In the back of the truck the webbing loops are all half twist for straight strap runs; it is easier to get a strap started by poking one end through the open half twist loop. I use the flat loop as anchor points to run deck bungee.

For tie down points under yokes or thwarts I use a bowtie sort of configuration, so I have a webbing loop on either side.

Last edited:
Oh there it is!

Happy Easter Doug. I just need to think of some graphic faux label for the back of the package.

You don't need to send me anything as I have a complete roll of hot pink and some other ungodly color webbing to use up! Please send it Rippy!

You don't need to send me anything as I have a complete roll of hot pink and some other ungodly color webbing to use up! Please send it Rippy!

Poor Rippy has suffered enough, what with his arse-exposed Lumbersexual chainsaw chaps and glittered accessories.

I had hoped to mail you some pink and fuscia webbing loops, in time for you to install them on the Hal’s sailing canoe, but waited too long.

Here’s the new deal. I’ll send you a batch. Stuff them inside a plastic Easter Egg. Stick the egg under one of Matt’s car seats and wait for him to find the webbing loops.

Sweet! i knew id find another use for my scrap strap/webbing collection! ....So after punching the hole, should i also sew them together or is that too redundant?

Poor Rippy has suffered enough, what with his arse-exposed Lumbersexual chainsaw chaps and glittered accessories.

Or is this a package that I haven't received yet?

I think you're thinking of Mem. He looks much better in arse chaps. That is until his arse gets chapped.

Hey captan glitter, I must have missed something cause you lost me in that exchange.

I think I lost myself in that exchange. Maybe the image of Memequay in assless chaps caused a short circuit.

Oh, god, there’s the image again. NOOOOOOOOO

Back