• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

Tandem Build - Des Moines

That is so sweet looking. I really like the way all the colors tie it together. The contoured seats look great and the decks you made add to the classy look.

You have a lot to be proud of.

Beautiful looking boat (both the design and build) Alan. I hope the person that wins it can really appreciate what took place to make this happen.

Stunning.

Do you sign it anywhere? Or use a builder's mark or logo? It's a boat to be proud of.

Alan...that looks great, what do you use for varnish? It looks like a satin finish. I can't decide if I want to go full gloss or not on my stripper your boat makes me think satin would look cool.

The shop looks pretty clean to me, BTW. I'd spend some time making a cart for that planer instead.

Do you think those thwarts are necessary? It seems like the yoke and seats would be enough.

Thank you all for the kind words. I try and tell myself the only person I have to make happy when building is myself but it still makes me feel good when others like them as well.

I did sign and date the hull at the turn of the bilge right behind the bow seat. I originally thought I'd put some small vinyl graphics on it with the model name (Des Moines) and something like "Gage Designed." I'm leaning towards leaving it clean though.

I did use a satin spar varnish. That's what I've used on all my boats so far and I've been happy with it. I like the satin look (not as plasticky), it doesn't show scratches or scuffs as badly, and it hides a lot more imperfections than glossy does. But then again a perfect glossy hull really shows off the craftsmanship and is a head turner for sure when done well. One of these days I'll give glossy a shot. I can always polish it back to whatever sheen I want if I don't like it.

I had the same thought about the necessity of the thwarts. I really don't know so I played it safe. My outwale is a good deal thinner than normal so that takes away some strength and the seat cleats are mounted about 4" below the gunwales. I could envision the canoe being dropped on its side from shoulder height and the hull cracking at the cleat as the gunwale and top of the hull flexed inward. Or maybe it would survive fine.

The shop really isn't all that bad considering how my stuff usually is but you guys only see it from the angles that hide most of the mess. There's still a ton of stuff scattered on the floor in the corners from when I first moved in and, like you noticed, power tools sitting on the ground with no bases. Mostly things just need to be tidied up and organized. I could have nearly twice the usable space if it was better organized. I'm also moving the strongback a little so I need to clear the area around it and hang a few more light fixtures. Today I was eyeballing an unused cabinet carcass that's in the way and with some casters and a top I think it would make a nice moveable home for that planer and oscillating sander.

Alan

Beautiful work Alan. I love the satin look. It shows off the wood really well. This canoe deserves to be shown off. I like the idea of signing it too. Excellent idea. I wouldn't worry too much about the proud new owner damaging this craft. It'll be theirs to look after, theirs to cherish.

You do realize, since this was your own design and you are giving it away without ever paddling it, you will need to build a second one to see how the design worked out...

You do realize, since this was your own design and you are giving it away without ever paddling it, you will need to build a second one to see how the design worked out...

The nature center, where the canoe will be on display before the raffle, sits on a small lake that should have some open water in early April. I'm thinking perhaps I and the one of the employees can slip it in the water for a quick shake down paddle. One way or another I'm going to get some seat time in that boat.

Alan

Today was delivery day. The director was there when I dropped it off at the nature center and we had a nice chat. He was very impressed. I don't think any of them had really seen a woodstrip canoe up close before or knew quite what to expect. I think it was more than he was expecting. Although I think it's a nice looking boat I can't help but focus on the small flaws or things I wish I'd done differently so it made me feel good to have someone who wasn't family or fellow canoe junkies praise the boat.

They had a nice spot for it in front of the large windows that overlook the lake and next to the fireplace. And of course I forgot to take a picture of it in place before I left. You'll have to settle for this one:

20150220_001 by Alan Gage, on Flickr

A couple more months and it will have a new owner. I'm anxious to see who wins it.

Alan

Although I think it's a nice looking boat I can't help but focus on the small flaws or things I wish I'd done differently so it made me feel good to have someone who wasn't family or fellow canoe junkies praise the boat.

Alan

Alan,

Welcome to the club!!
Try as I might, I can rarely see beyond the flaws in my boats...which, in itself is a "flaw".
Just know that everyone will admire and appreciate your work, especially the lucky dude (or dudette) that wins that boat.

No need to cut off your left ear.;)

You can visit it anytime ! It will be at my place ! After I win it !
HA !

A $5,000 canoe on top of a $2,000 car. Reminds me of me !

Jim

Alan,

Welcome to the club!!

Well it's nice to know I'm in good company.

A $5,000 canoe on top of a $2,000 car. Reminds me of me !

It's all about priorities, right? I got this one from a friend (that's his business name still on the side) for free when he drove it through a small lake that appeared in his parking lot and ruined the engine. It replaced the $400 car I was driving before that. Being able to buy cheap junk and keep it on the road is one of the advantages of being a mechanic. With cars lasting so much longer it's getting hard to do though.

Alan

I talked to the county naturalist tonight. It sounds like there's been a lot of interest in the canoe. The raffle board, with 144 squares, sold out about a week ago. Normally there are still spaces left to buy the night of the fundraiser. They've had a few people call in to leave a cash offer to buy the canoe from the raffle winner, should they be interested, plus a donation to the nature center.

Sounds like the nature center board members are kicking themselves as they kind of shot themselves in the foot with this one. Like I said earlier I don't think they really knew what they were getting and they could have made a lot more money by either selling more tickets or auctioning the canoe instead. But the good news is that a few people, who hold a lot of raffle tickets (my dad is one of them), have told the board that if they win the canoe they'll immediately donate it back to the nature center so it can be auctioned off on the spot. I'd love to see that happen, at least then I'd know it went to someone who really wanted it. One month to go until we find out.

Overall I'm tickled pink with the response the canoe has gotten, I honestly didn't know if there would be much interest or not.

Alan

Back