• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Tandem Build - Des Moines

Alan I do not post here often but I wanted to thank you for taking the time to share this build. Simply stunning and whoever the final owner turns out to be, they will not only have a canoe but also a work of art.
As one more person who looks forward to one day building their own canoe, I wanted to thank you for all that I have learned from you and others here.
When I do start my own project, posts like this one make things go just a little bit smoother and I can only hope that the finished product looks nearly this good.

Cheers
Rob from Barrie

That's excellent Alan! I have been thinking about doing the same to raise funds for my school club. I'm worried though, because around here if a boat doesn't have a 40 horse power and a cooler full of beer, it's difficult to generate interest. Sometimes in life it seems that no good deed goes unpunished, but I'm sure in this case, because canoes are involved, your generosity will be repaid in spades!

I'm happy to hear that, Rob. When I first came to this site the first thing I saw was Stripperguys' in depth Kite build. I'd only built one stripper at that point and I was very intimidated before I started it. In the end it turned out to be a lot easier than I thought. Stripperguys' thread was all about showing each step and trying to show it really wasn't that tough. I loved the idea and agreed wholeheartedly so with my build threads I try to make a point of pointing out all the things I do wrong or that aren't perfect. One doesn't need incredible woodworking skills or equipment to build a woodstrip canoe or kayak, just the ability to think through problems. Nearly anything you can screw up can be fixed or covered and still look good.

Mem, I had the same concerns when I told them I'd donate this canoe. For the handful of people who stoop to the level of canoeing aluminum reigns supreme here. The other paddlers tend to prefer 10' kayaks. Everyone else motors around the lakes. Even when the local nature center hosts paddling events I have a hard time getting anyone to paddle the wood, kevlar, or carbon boats I bring along to share.

Alan

Tonight was raffle night and the canoe has a happy new home. They only lived a few blocks away from where the fundraiser was held so we threw it on top of my car and delivered it into their garage. It was a fun night.

20150411_001 by Alan Gage, on Flickr

That's me (in the middle) with the county conservation director and naturalist.

Alan

I'll bet the lady was One happy camper !

A few blocks away huh? Well at least you can stop in and visit it ! :)

You know when you spend the time to DESIGN, and BUILD a canoe, they become a part of you, and for me at least, I hate to see them go !!:(

KUDOS To you Alan !

Jim

Back