• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Supporting thwarts while varnishing

Just a note about the previous posts on foam brushes. The ones pictured (Boatman/Jim) previously and I think mentioned as distributed by Jamestown ... I swear by JEN brand foam brushes. I had read somewhere that they use a superior foam and that has been confirmed by a lot of projects I have done.
So if you decide to try foam brushes, it is worth (IMO) to source out the JEN brand as a starting point ..... if you have them side by side with cheaper versions you can definitely feel the difference. I do have some good brushes, but I don't like the mess and waste when I have to clean them, so they have specific uses and for most other things I grab the box of foam brushes, I keep 4 sizes in stock for use with epoxy, latex and anything oil based.

Brian

I don’t get “tipping out,” although I capsize well:).

Regards paint thinner, I reuse it similar to how Boatman does, but with a less well organized progression of jars. The paint or varnish left in the used cleaning mix settles out in a day or so, leaving a residue on the bottom of the jar and clear thinner on top. Pour off the clear stuff and leave the goo on the bottom. Use the clear stuff for the next cleaning, then pour it back into the settling jar. After a few cleanings, the goo layer becomes substantial. Poor out the clear liquid to a fresh jar, let the gooey residue in the old jar dry out, then throw away the old jar.

Reuse of the thinner should appeal to those with a Scottish side, and not broadcasting solvent onto the ground will please the greenies. I reuse several plastic peanut butter jars for decanting the solvents.

Right you are Chip. It’s been about 5 years now since I’ve been in the varnish production mode and I forgot the decanting step.
Jim

Back