• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

Stoves

I have the KK Base Camp for group trips, and just bought the KK Trekker for solo. The really do a great job boiling water on the litter in the campsite.

I uploaded a couple of stock photos of this stove to an album linked to my profile. The first one is sorta what this stove looks like in the wind. I don't use the two little pot supports, but set my pot directly on top of the chimney.

maybe try using the supports. you may be impeding the draft by putting th pot directly on the chimney. I just got one myself to play around with and haven't used it yet, so i will try it both ways when i do. It is supposed to re-burn the fumes to increase heat output or something like that.

I started out using the little cross pot support and it seemed to work less well than it does without the support. I think that the holes around the top of the rim are too big or too numerous. The wind tends to blow right through them. I want to see what happens if I block the holes with aluminum foil and out the pot support back on. These little stoves are fun to play with, but they don't always work as advertised.

I've never used a wind screen with my twig stove but I do try to find a sheltered place to set it up if it's windy. I can usually get 16 ounces of water boiling in 5 minutes. Keep plenty of wood in the firebox. Don't let it die down and then feed it. As soon as there's room drop some more in. Use larger pieces once it's fully established but keep adding some small ones too to keep it burning fast and hot.

I like being able to feed wood from the top. It's too hard trying to slide it in from the side. Just lift the pot off with a gloved hand and stand the pieces up vertically.

I've got a new twig stove and a 4 year old to play with this weekend. I'll see what kind of trouble we can get into with it.

Alan

Thx Alan...yeah, feeding from the side was a bit of a pain but then again it was on the ground. If it were propped up on a log or something maybe it would've been easier. Speaking of pain...I burned my Gd finger in the process LOL

Nice setup Old Tom. That looks like it works very well! Did you make that yourself?

Last edited:
I've got a new twig stove and a 4 year old to play with this weekend. I'll see what kind of trouble we can get into with it.

The stove was a success. It's one of Bothwell's stoves, the Nomad XT. Elliot likes to build things so he had fun helping put it together. Then he learned how to break small sticks over his knee, how to light and feed a fire, how to roast marshmallows without burning them, and how to get messy and have fun. Well, to be honest I didn't have to teach him those last two.

20170325_002 by Alan, on Flickr

20170325_003 by Alan, on Flickr

20170325_005 by Alan, on Flickr

20170325_007 by Alan, on Flickr

20170325_009 by Alan, on Flickr

Alan

Good job Elliot. With all your hard work it looks like you've got uncle Alan coming along just fine. I might not trust him yet not to burn the marshmallows. A fun day out. You're a lucky little nephew.

Nice setup Old Tom. That looks like it works very well! Did you make that yourself?

No, purchased the unit from "Trail Designs" out of the States. Not cheap, but it's all titanium...super light! There's a way to store the whole thing in the 900ml pot it came with, but that's almost on par with putting toothpaste back in the tube so I use a peanut butter jar, which holds a bunch of other related stuff (matches, fire starters etc) & still comes in way more compact & a fraction of the weight of my whisper-light, not even counting the fuel. It has some system the burns off the gasses from the wood fire, so it puts out some serious heat & doesn't really require that much in the way of fuel. It can burn alcohol or nesbit cubes, but to me the big deal is wood scraps. Never run out of fuel, no matter how long the paddle is.

No Title

I have a Svea 123r that i got at a flea market for 6 bucks, a Coleman 2 burner 425, a 533 sportster, a Peak 1, and my newest, now oldest addition to the group is a Coleman 530, made in 1946, the civilian version of the GI pocket stove. Just got it last week and it fired right up with some fresh gas. I will take it apart and get it running smoothly soon, but i cant wait to field this one. Hard finding them with the cookpot/case, all mine is missing is the removable pothandle/wrench.

Attachments

• photo6958.jpg
    photo6958.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 0
No Title

Had all the coleman white gas stoves known to mankind too, hand me downs from grandpa, my dad and the ones I bought myself. All retired now. When I pack gas I use MSR and/or ISO butane, take one stoves or two depending on how many of us and how much cooking we're doing. Much easier to pack than the big boxy 2 and 3 burning green stoves.

Normally on solo trips though I carry the Firebox Nano, great little trashwood burning stove, can drop an esbit tablet or trangia stove in it too, but mostly use wood. Light and fairly thick titanium, folds down about the size of my empty wallet and reassembles in a couple seconds, all connected, simple, simple, simple. Compact and rugged titanium too. Been using it almost 2 years now, probably best little stove I've ever owned. http://www.fireboxstove.com/combo-kits/3-inch-titanium-folding-firebox-nano

Attachments

• photo6761.jpg
    photo6761.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6959.jpg
    photo6959.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6961.jpg
    photo6961.jpg
    438.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I started with a 123 which I kept through high school, college and the military. In the early 90's I bought a Sierra Stove at Campmor on a trip to NJ. For those of you who aren't familiar, it is a twig stove that has a fan underneath and it runs like a blacksmith forge. That stove still runs like a champ 26 years later.

I was stuck in an afternoon rainstorm that turned to snow half the night up the Lamar river in Yellowstone a few years ago. I was in a NEBO floorless pyramid tent, but had a good amount of fuel for the Sierra. That little thing dried out my gear, kept me in coffee and vittles and provided some "caveman TV" through the evening. Yes, I had guest show up when they saw the glow from my tent.8^)

Anyone else here use a Sierra Stove?

Back