• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

Stoves

Reaction score
Would like to know more about the denatured alcohol stoves. What are the pros? Cons? I typically use an MSR Whisperlite International with white gas and it great.
And actually some info on twig stoves would be great too in terms of pros and cons. Can't see it being a real weight savings if it not dependable and a backup stove needed in addition anyway.
Thx all.
Chris

Last edited:
I use both... Actually I use to use both regularly but not so much anymore! The pros in my opinion of the alcohol stove like the Trangia, are as follow, simplicity, no moving part, nothing can really go wrong. They work in all temperature, no priming, they don't make any noise they can be compact, and super light. The cons are they are "slower", and a bit hard to fine tune the simmering mode. They can be bulky( if you have the entire kit like the Trangia usually come with)

As for the twig stove, I kind of give up on them. I got tired of feeding them every minutes or so to keep the heat going!! I quite like my Kelly Kettle, but it is a it o bulky for my liking. I think on a solo or duo trip it would be great and I would probably stat using it again, but for now I stick to my fire box this one http://www.canoemapscanada.com/our-...11-c-environmental-fireplace-medium-long.html

A bit heavy, but I can cook for up to 6 people on it and it is super sturdy, you don't have to tend to it every minute, and it leave no trace!!

Cheers

The Feather Fire Alcohol stove I use is somewhat adjustable. It's a little pricey but it has served me will for 7 or 8 years. One of the cool things is if you get the fuel bottle kit it easily sucks up any extra fuel out of the stove after you have snuffed it out. For a week solo, doing coffee and oatmeal in the morning and a dehydrated meal at dinner, I use less than a pint of fuel.

I have a home made twig stove that carried for a while and used, but now it's just so much less hassle to just light the alcohol stove.

I've switched to alcohol (Trangia) recently with a clikstand from an Optimus Multi-Fuel. I really liked to Optimus but it did fail me on a trip. Fast and easy to control and Naptha has the highest BTU to weight ratio of any fuel.

That being said the weight savings on the stove is taken up by extra fuel. To compensate I have opted for more open fire cooking and bring a lightweight grill with me. The learning curve to simmering with alcohol stoves - more specifically the Trangia - is a short one. Much shorter than learning to cook on fire in my opinion.

I only carry the larger version of the Littlbug stove (http://littlbug.com/) and I like it. It fits in the pack flat so it' takes up zero space and it's lightweight. I've used it alot and have had no issues. It only takes a few mins to find enough fuel for breakfast, dinner or a shore lunch. I use either my Cold handle frying pan or that little stainless steel pot next to the stove in the picture. I make coffee, or quick pasta meals in the pot, pancakes and fish with the cold handle. I bring enough oil to avoid burning stuff with the hard to control heat of the twig stove.
That's the big drawback of a twig stove for me, getting a low steady heat is hard (from my experience, others might be better at it). I just remove the pot or frying pan when the heat gets too high.

0bCmFlXb92u-KY4ZeF3UdqIoL88aoyuYSFJzFsr13Pj6h7L4yuZ41NIJN0GL8zpWuUGPNyzJ6pXb5hgGmNRHnnYUxGlzxHts6dARGlNWiZdG29EJwNrVMDhMGBgPYzNBLeQSZAU6s-ls9OHsSwJt_2SkOrEA7yW_zNuZAoam0FQyipU2b1R2IQC3oJ-2Hbqa5Kd0Yf-KTWSgIoyB3U3tTnPNWnILF582FavfDRpjhBrKvkXxLmHBDA5UcRk3Oe15iZ78QdgyAkvchYTi7AvldRzg9FVTHWhf1RdrE_KpRULGLF34PQ6663UylIdDcIeib8t_leSNfumpkik87TyW2iUnhg4YYreVGzahKqGqjWRk5R5IY_BmP9JjlTOPUsBusCYd3gpA2LZFObNFnuG-Xv8REkeN2aSRL0XMPEx6xYkOYPq-yo3S2pLJaZ0Hd3oKv-NTgy8XPZY2UTx-9Qz_2ddjxMpZmwvn5CcfLiSbfbCRcjM8PgIHILZIKyqEEqnvxUNNjB22lppoTzVleDN9gIS_L4mOA5TREPBInGGw7QP2aa5dLwxt2qRhngXnh2hJuU_hrP3KJwwpoDyOkE84zHtBS8rMn6E=w858-h643-no

I like it for solo use, not sure if it would be great for a group.

I haven't had as much experience w alcohol stoves as with gas or propane, but I will be doing a little more cold weather testing w the following which came highly recommended by a guy with no axes to grind (what an expression!)...

https://www.traildesigns.com/stoves/caldera-cone-system

One of the slightly odd things I am finding is that the system is optimized* to a particular pan or mug size. Which is only odd in that it would pretty much force you to pick one pot or large mug (or buy a new one sized to your anticipated needs). This guy had done an extensive section of the Pacific Coast Trail over the last year and swore this was his stove for life... I read up on it at some of the backpacking forums and lots of people are in agreement.

Course, it's never that simple. There are also stick burning options, different alcohol stove options (all agreed on that upgrade), Titanium option, etc and accessories to boost your final price.

We started our playing around w a $15 Amazon stove, built another one from a YouTube video... Alcohol stoves and their endless variations, you will find, have their strong vocal adherents the same as the various white gas and propane users.

Viva la difference!

*all in the name of BTU efficiency and packability.

I only carry the larger version of the Littlbug stove (http://littlbug.com/) and I like it. It fits in the pack flat so it' takes up zero space and it's lightweight. I've used it alot and have had no issues. It only takes a few mins to find enough fuel for breakfast, dinner or a shore lunch. I use either my Cold handle frying pan or that little stainless steel pot next to the stove in the picture. I make coffee, or quick pasta meals in the pot, pancakes and fish with the cold handle. I bring enough oil to avoid burning stuff with the hard to control heat of the twig stove.
That's the big drawback of a twig stove for me, getting a low steady heat is hard (from my experience, others might be better at it). I just remove the pot or frying pan when the heat gets too high.

0bCmFlXb92u-KY4ZeF3UdqIoL88aoyuYSFJzFsr13Pj6h7L4yuZ41NIJN0GL8zpWuUGPNyzJ6pXb5hgGmNRHnnYUxGlzxHts6dARGlNWiZdG29EJwNrVMDhMGBgPYzNBLeQSZAU6s-ls9OHsSwJt_2SkOrEA7yW_zNuZAoam0FQyipU2b1R2IQC3oJ-2Hbqa5Kd0Yf-KTWSgIoyB3U3tTnPNWnILF582FavfDRpjhBrKvkXxLmHBDA5UcRk3Oe15iZ78QdgyAkvchYTi7AvldRzg9FVTHWhf1RdrE_KpRULGLF34PQ6663UylIdDcIeib8t_leSNfumpkik87TyW2iUnhg4YYreVGzahKqGqjWRk5R5IY_BmP9JjlTOPUsBusCYd3gpA2LZFObNFnuG-Xv8REkeN2aSRL0XMPEx6xYkOYPq-yo3S2pLJaZ0Hd3oKv-NTgy8XPZY2UTx-9Qz_2ddjxMpZmwvn5CcfLiSbfbCRcjM8PgIHILZIKyqEEqnvxUNNjB22lppoTzVleDN9gIS_L4mOA5TREPBInGGw7QP2aa5dLwxt2qRhngXnh2hJuU_hrP3KJwwpoDyOkE84zHtBS8rMn6E=w858-h643-no

I like it for solo use, not sure if it would be great for a group.

Thanks Robin! I've been shopping for a twig stove for a while. Travels flat and accommodates a cold handle frying pan. Just ordered mine.

Does anyone else have trouble with burning hardwoods in a twig stove? That's the majority of what we have around here. I can't seem to get a hot enough fire going as it takes the replacement sticks too long to combust. Lucky for me there is no shortage of downed hardwood so we always have a large fire.

We have boxes of twigs in the shed from an old plum tree that I cut back hard, they are definitely harder to get started though once things are going they are fine. I guess they don't have that flammable resin in them that conifer twigs have. That said, I burn dry willow all the time and that seems much easier to get going as long as it really is dead.

Take a look at the range of alcohol stoves by minibull designs. He makes some great little remote feed stoves with a carbon wick as well as the usual ones derived from soda/beer cans.

The wick stoves are good in colder weather.

P3101546_a.jpg

This was taken at a lunch stop on a spring snowshoe trip. I would of course normally use a windshield. This seems to be critical to stove efficiency and is one of the reasons Caldera Cones are so efficient, though it is not harder to make a good one from an oven liner.

If you are looking for a great twig stove I have to plug my own made in Canada versions on the theme. I make a few sizes, from a tiny 4" by 4" in titanium up to 16" by 10" in stainless steel that I'm just in the process of cutting this week. All fold flat and unlike many twig stoves you don't have to take the pot off to add more fuel!

This is the smallest one, the Nomad in titanium, with a Trangia kettle.

Image009.jpg

I mostly take this when it is not my primary stove, using a larger one when I plan on doing more than boiling water for tea stops.

There is some more info on my website http://canoepaddler.me.uk/Products.php though it does need updating to show some of the more recent evolutions of the stoves.

In the past, I have used and owned just about every kind of white gas, kerosene, propane and butane stove. I have used some wood stoves as well.
Now, all I use are the Trangia alcohol or canister burners.
We use the canister burners for car camping or day trips when we are using the steel woks instead of the regular Trangia pans.
We have two 25 series and one 27 series, both in hard anodized.
I recommend the hard anodized for the pots, stand and windscreen. It is worth the extra money.

First, the Trangia cons:
Heavier, although you get a very effective built-in windscreen and stove support.
Less heat output, and thus slower, from the alcohol burner.
Fuel is more expensive?
Fairly expensive up front cost and for the extras.
For some, the fuel capacity in the stove may not be enough to finish without refilling.
Cold weather operation and output may not work for some people and conditions.
Lack of relative compactness.
Heavier than other alcohol stoves.

Pros:
No muss, no fuss: easy set up, no pumping, no priming, no repumping during operation to maintain the output.
I often walk away and do other things while cooking.
It will actually simmer.
The fuel is less caustic for lack of a better term. ( I won't say safer)
The fuel can be carried in lighter weight containers.
Stable, stable, stable.
Very close to wind proof, both for the flame and the stand set up.
Compactness, since everything fits so well together and everything you need is included in one package.
A small Banks Fry Bake pan fits perfectly on top of the 27 series.
Quiet, which is sometimes a con since you have to look or feel to see if it is actually going.
Spare parts are readily available.
Accessories are readily available.
The burner will hold a supply of fuel during transport.
It can be moved while in use.
The fry pan/lid makes it usable in a downpour.
The hard anodized versions clean up very well.
Durable.
Four different burners available.
Slower but very nice to do actual cooking and not just boil.
Simmer ring saves fuel.
Well thought out, long-time design that doesn't change with each marketing cycle or material craze.

I have used the Trangia burner with other stands-Westwind, Mojo, Mini Trangia-but still like the regular stand and windscreen much better.

We have one of Bothwells little Nomad stoves. I also have a large version that someone made for me. It is easy to add wood to for sure. I have used mine and it is ok. I am not big on stick stoves though. One cool part of Bothwells stove is that he makes an extra tray to go inside so you can use an alchohol stove with it. This allows it to function as a windscreen/stand if you want to use the Trangia or you can use sticks if you prefer.

We had a Biolite and it truly sucked arse.

I like naptha stoves. They are more controllable for me and essentially bullet proof. Not everyone can operate one though so there is that. I have taken to using a propane one that just screws onto the top of the canister. Quick, easy, cheap, lightweight. Works good and lights every time.

The Marshall Lake trip got me into using fire again. I do have a grill. I don't like the soot though. I know, picky picky.

In most tripping pictures you will see me tending to a classic two burner Coleman naptha stove. Go big or stay home.....lol.

Christy

No Title

How well does a reflector oven work tucked up to the open end of the fire box?

It work just fine!

I would love that fire boxe to be made out of Ti, it would be much lighter...

I might have to try one like Robin uses!

Attachments

• photo2476.jpg
    photo2476.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo2481.jpg
    photo2481.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 0
I too have a stove collection. An old Coleman Feather 400 that uses white gas or naptha..( depending on your country), some Nimblewells and a Littlbug JR.
But I have settled on an MSR Windpro and a backup MSR Pocket Rocket.

Over the fire cooking is just not my style but you can bet I will be again tempted to buy a reflector oven at Common Ground Fair. Old Scout or Sproul. Here is a page of tempting ideas
http://scoutmastercg.com/reflector_ovens/

I've ueed various forms of a Trangia for many years. one other con not mentioned is it is easy o burn yourself because the flame is nearly invisible. i've also used a kelly Kettle twig stove on many trips. burning small twigs and pine cones, it can boil 3 cups of water in about 5 minutes from initial flame. i made a frame to hold a pot on top of the KK to capture the lost heat going up the chimney, but the water in the tank boils so quickly that there is no time to cook much of anything on top.

I'm something of a stove junkie, I currently own 15-18. Everything from a couple of original 50's Coleman's to a original MSR XGK with the brass ring and swing out legs, to a couple of newer biolite/twig stoves. The only thing I use canoeing now is some version of my Trangia. For all of the reasons listed by other posters. The drawbacks have also been stated clearly, but any outdoor cooking method will have both advantages and drawbacks depending on how you cook and the circumstances/conditions you are in.

Another stove junkie here! My last count was 23 burning everything from wood, to alcohol, to canisters. depending on the activity, my go to is either a Coleman 400a or 505b. My original from when I was a teen is my mid 70's 400a; in 50 years it's gone through only 1 generator and 1 stem, and is reliable in any weather- I've had it work perfectly down to-40 with a little naptha directly on the burner to preheat it.
For a quick solo overnight, or a spring/fall day hike where I'm going for a quick hot drink or just add water meal, My White Box stove and a sierra cup work fine together. Quick tip; on a bright sunny day I'll add a drop of vegetable oil to my fuel bottle (6oz cough syrup bottle) and shake well before filling my stove; it adds a little orange to the flame (and a bit of soot too) so I can see it burning.
For 2-4 people between late spring/ early fall I'll take my old butane bluet 470 (now called the micro plus), great simmerer, and quite good for longer cooking times for larger portions, but the empty canisters suck, I usually end up punching a hole in them and pounding them flat, then they can go in the recycling.
http://whiteboxalcoholstoves.com/ http://www.campingaz.com/benelux/p-23508-bleuet174-micro-plus.aspx

Stoves...

and doubles of shown.
I actually find that propane burner very handy. The base and the burner can be flown commercially and the tank gotten easily at your destination.. ( usually) Its not usually on my portage trips but I do sometimes use it.

Back