• Happy 1st Showing of a Color Photograph (1861)! 📷🎥🏳️‍🌈

Twig Stoves: Experiences, Opinions and Pictures

I love my Solo Stove. This is the campfire version. I forgot to take a picture while I was frying the bacon and eggs. I use a vasoline covered cotton ball to get the fire started.

Attachments

• Navasota4.png
    Navasota4.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
So, you have to cook the stove over a fire for it to work? :rolleyes:;)
I was camping in a mud pit. The night before I grilled burgers over a fire. The next morning, I just used the grill as a table to set my solo stove on.

Love my stick stove for traveling light when backpacking.

Never had a problem getting it lit in any weather and you can use it as a small campfire for ambiance.

Here is one from the way back machine. I bought it at a church sale just before the pandemic, mostly for nostalgic reasons I guess. They are still available but they have been updated and I didn’t see any with the pot and lid/ frying pan.
I guess I’ll work the photos backwards. It’s called a Sierra Stove, one of the original forced air gassifier stoves.
IMG_7761.jpeg
IMG_7760.jpeg
The blower unit is removable. It runs on a C cell. The new ones are a AA.
IMG_7759.jpeg
And stores inside.

IMG_7758.jpeg
All packed up. The bale can be used on both pot and lid and locks them together when closed.
IMG_7757.jpeg
Jim

This is a very interesting thread - I had no idea there were so many different versions of twig stoves.

I received a Uberleben titanium twig stove at Christmas. I put it together once, put it back in the sleeve it came in, haven’t looked at it since. I’m thinking the name turned me off, or if I want a fire I want a fire that I can put what ever size wood I want on it. I do use and like my copper Thermette and small Ghillie MKettle volcano kettles. The copper one is not portage friendly, you also better be wearing asbestos mittens or a safer alternative, while pouring hot water out of it. Looks less clumsy than Kelly Kettle chain and bail, but is just as subject to burns to the hand if carelessly handled. Ghillie MKettle is perfect for a mug of boiling tea water, for a solo fisherman or traveler. I have a leather gloves packed with it also. I take it with me everywhere, mostly on fishing trips or longer day hikes. In airports the TSA guys get pretty interested in it, I don’t know if it is the burned smell or the shape.

Uberleben makes good stuff for what it’s worth.

I like my Ghillie kettle as well, but rarely use the twig stove bottom base portion. I find it doesn’t breath well when a pot is on top.

Bob

I've got a sierra stove, and another one very similar but better. Very sturdy base, good fan system, one can burn almost anything in it. I admit to buying one of those rocket canister stoves a couple of years ago, and for what i do now, it is pretty good. But I still bring the old furnace out once in a while.
twig stove.jpg

Back