• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Show Me Your Strongbacks!

Reaction score
When I finished my first build, I foolishly junked the strongback. Looking to possibly do a couple more builds. Would like suggestions on strongback construction.

Requirements: Needs to break down easily for storage and be long enough to build an 18 footer. Go!

A Box beam style would be your best bet for a break down, as far as length.

Put wheels on one end. Make it so you can lean or tilt it left or right.

I don't have a Box beam, I have several strongbacks for specific long canoes, of the T-top style. Using a Box beam, requires the Mushroom style of forms. In my opinion, they waste a lot of plywood.

The T-top style stem forms are cut so the shearline of the canoe can run Below the strongback top. Thus requiring less Plywood for forms.

I can remove the legs easily and store the strongback.

My Favorite Strongback is one I purchased from a builder in Minnesota. It came complete with a set of Merlin forms. The Builder was also very Precise in it's construction !

The thing I like most was the slanted legs ! They were easy to take off, and because of the angle, they were Rock solid in use !

Draw back was, it was designed for a 15' 8" canoe. You can adjust the stem forms a little each way, not much shorter.

IMG_2351_zpsb1rev3zh.jpg

As a carpenter, I've had a lot of experience with I-joists. I think they'd make a great strong back foundation if you don't require compact breakdown between builds.

Here is mine. came from one sheet (1200mmx2400mm) of 18mm ply (or 15, cant remember). 15 feet is max canoe lenght for this strongback.

You can see attached "blocks" where you can bolt your molds on. There is also gap below block to allow centering line to pass, which is good because I make my molds with cnc and make 3mm hole to centerline of mold, both up and down. very handy if you have access to cnc.

IMG_20190731_104515 by artturi hautamaki, on Flickr

IMG_20190731_124840 by artturi hautamaki, on Flickr

IMG_20190731_124845 by artturi hautamaki, on Flickr

IMG_20190806_112129 by artturi hautamaki, on Flickr

If you have enough C-clamps ? I love using them to clamp the forms to cleats on the strongback. They are easier to adjust than deck screws if you need to tweek the formswhen setting up.

They are also a breeze to release the forms from the cleats.

The only other time I use C-clamps is for attaching gunnels, so they serve a duo purpose.

IMG_0265_zpss9dbr7ay.jpg

I just assembled this from repurposed/scrap material on hand. I straight line ripped a couple of 16 foot staging planks and screwed everything together so nondestructive disassembly is possible. It's heavy and solid and the price was right!

Attachments

• photo15433.jpg
    photo15433.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 11
Back