• Happy (Ancient) May Day! 🎀💈💃🏼🧺💐🍴

Seat Webbing - Nylon or Polyester?

Reaction score
The cane seat of my MR Independence ripped for the 2nd time since I bought it. (I'm only slightly heavier than when I bought it ;)) While I much prefer the looks of cane, I am thinking of 1-1/2" webbing. It's available in nylon and polyester. What do think in regards to stretch, UV resistance, and water retention?

I've not used webbing on my seats.
That said, I would value stretch for comfort first. Water retention second, and UV resistance last.
I'm told Nylon retains moisture, and Polyester doesn't stretch.

So my choice would be Polyester, and hang it a little loose.

My 2 cents !

Jim

+1 for Polyester, but I use minimum 3 mm cord .... I wouldn't hang it loose (sorry Jim) because regardless of how tight you pull it by hand, your full weight will pull it tighter and thatw ill give just the small sag you want IMO

Brian

+1 for Polyester, but I use minimum 3 mm cord .... I wouldn't hang it loose (sorry Jim) because regardless of how tight you pull it by hand, your full weight will pull it tighter and thatw ill give just the small sag you want IMO

Brian

Another 2 cents.
3mm cord is different than webbing ! :rolleyes: Sorry Brian ! Ha ! I did say I haven't used webbing.

I use 1/2" flat Nylon Snowshoe cord. Spar Varnish, solves the wet seat problem. It shrinks when varnished. I've only had to cut the cord on one seat, so far.

IMG_1276_zpsfw9f73dk.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1276_zpsfw9f73dk.jpg Views:	1 Size:	204.3 KB ID:	81634

Last edited:
Jim,
I used to use synthetic snowshoe lacing too, but haven't been able to find it recently.
Do you have a source you're willing to share?

I could have written that better, I meant that I use polyester cord and that the same idea would be valid for webbing ... that is pull it a bit tight by hand, knowing that it will relax a bit under use. Obviously if you are using something on the webbing to tighten it up ... that changes the game a little.

One thing that I don't like about most production seats is that the edge cross rails are too close together ... basically the seat pad is too narrow and you end up sitting on those rails. Maybe go to a little extra work and think about if this seat is comfortable for you and if it isn't, then consider just making a new one, it isn't a lot of work to have something that is a lot more comfy.

Brian

Seems like cane is pretty well proven over time; I wonder why yours tore. Maybe a sharp edge somewhere? With just a little maintenance like annual oiling cane should last ten years or more.

That looks good but is it comfortable?

Yes ! Every bit as comfortable as cane, with incredible durability !

To be totally Honest. The nylon web seats I've sat in are as good as any ! It's just they hold water when wet !

Jim

I wonder why yours tore. Maybe a sharp edge somewhere?
I think the previous installer might not have soaked the cane long enough and creased it along the edge.
While stories of back country McGyvering are entertaining in hindsight, I thought I should go for something longer lasting after the second failure.

Back