I don't get out in the canoe much anymore and I don't do any racing at all but I still like to paddle fairly hard when I get out. I like exercise and a canoe isn't a bad way to get it. I thought it might be fun to start a "Training paddle thread" where we can post a little about our workout paddles. Doesn't matter what you're paddling, if you're fast or slow, if you're training for a race, or just out for a little exercise and fun.
Post whatever pertinent info you have about the paddle (time, distance, average speed, heart rate, etc) and tell us what boat you were paddling.
I got out for my first paddle of the year tonight and averaged 4.9 mph over 7 miles with an average heart rate of 107 bpm. This was lake paddling with virtually no wind.
It was immediately apparent that my paddling muscles were out of shape and that the muscles would tire long before my lungs so I just kept a steady pace and didn't try to push things very hard. It was a satisfying paddle.
The boat was my Bloodvein. This is a 16.5' solo of my own design. It's a tripping canoe but was made to be fairly quick below the water line. I'd say it's about on par with the Magic.
20160729_001 by Alan, on Flickr
Alan
Post whatever pertinent info you have about the paddle (time, distance, average speed, heart rate, etc) and tell us what boat you were paddling.
I got out for my first paddle of the year tonight and averaged 4.9 mph over 7 miles with an average heart rate of 107 bpm. This was lake paddling with virtually no wind.
It was immediately apparent that my paddling muscles were out of shape and that the muscles would tire long before my lungs so I just kept a steady pace and didn't try to push things very hard. It was a satisfying paddle.
The boat was my Bloodvein. This is a 16.5' solo of my own design. It's a tripping canoe but was made to be fairly quick below the water line. I'd say it's about on par with the Magic.
20160729_001 by Alan, on FlickrAlan