• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

Portage clearing in the Greenstone Region

Mem - Even if I never get there myself, thank you so much for doing this work. The number of people who will benefit from yours & Chain Saw Rob's efforts will be more than you can imagine. Taking the time, energy & money to do this on your own says a tremendous amount about your character; and from what I can see, you're quite the character ;)

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Forests can manage themselves if humans would not interfere and put the fires out. Ideally they need to just burn off all the waste on the forest floor.

A wonderful service you are providing, Memaquay.

I should've hired Chainsaw Rob and Sleeman Rob to cut a portage route through my backyard, thanks to the visit by Hurricane Isaias last week, which downed this giant maple that crushed my back deck. My canoes are safe on the rack under the sun porch. In addition, two big ash trees came down across my driveway. I bet R&R could have done the tree removal job for less than the $2300 estimated by the insurance adjuster. My Husqvarna chainsaw is unstartable, as usual, and is in the repair shop along with thousands of others in this state, half of which was without power at one point.

hJDR4zp.jpg

R&R being unavailable, I had to hire two locals. But I did provide beverage: ice water poured from my two liter insulated Klean Kanteen, purchased by recommendation from this site.

7Ml9Cj3.jpg

Bye, bye $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and any thoughts of buying a wood/Dacron canoe to portage over Crown Lands.

We would have made short work of that for you Glenn, only charge would have been some Bud lite. 15 minutes tops. Of course, we would have kept the firewood, as part of the charge, lol.

Bud Lite why would you drink that crappy beer? Haven't you acquire the taste for something good. A good IPA often has a 6-7% alcohol and allows you to not carry as much on the ports while still having the desired effect. Grab a Stout or Porter and you can even cut back on food weight.

Forests do not manage themselves. Intensive fire suppression has been a fact of life in North America for over 100 years.

Lack of management had led to overstocking. It is precisely why we have so many problems with megafires, insect outbreaks and disease. Controlling stand density is the first metric that needs to be met in a healthy forest. That can be accomplished with thinning and logging.

Last edited:
A good IPA often has a 6-7% alcohol and allows you to not carry as much on the ports while still having the desired effect. Grab a Stout or Porter and you can even cut back on food weight.

I like Foxyotter’s sensibilities more all the time.

As soon as I finish some yardwork I’ll be enjoying my favorite IPA, a Victory Brewing Hopdevil. A mere 6.7 ABV, but so tasty. Maybe two, it’s sweaty out.

The tripping dilemma is finding canned IPA’s, or any canned ales, or decent canned beer of any type, in places with limited selection. I’d almost rather go thirsty than drink a Bud Lite.

Canned Guinness is bread for the hungry. “Guinness, it’s good for you”. It really is.

https://www.virginmoneylondonmaratho...other%20beers.

Otherwise it’s cans from Yuengling Brewing; Chesterfield Ale, Porter or Black & Tan. Yuengling, not just a Pennsylvania beer anymore. Sadly not $7.99 a waxed case in returnable bottles anymore either, but that dates me. Sure, that part I remember about the 70’s.

If Memaquay ever makes it to Maryland I’ll stock up on Bud Lite. Or maybe Natty Boh, for a true Land of Pleasant Living experience.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Bohemian

Mr. Boh still makes occasional tripping appearances, but not as a beverage.

P8130015 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

I recall you sharing a Bud with me on the Gunpowder years ago. Nope, not one drop violated your throat as you spewed it out like it was poison! To each their own taste I guess!

Back