• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Portage clearing in the Greenstone Region

Reaction score
It has been a great summer for canoeing in the Greenstone region. The weather has been unbelievable, and as July unfolded, many people from Southern Ontario began to make the trek up here for trips on Crown land. Even a large number of locals began to give canoeing a try.

My buddy and I, Chainsaw Rob, got the go ahead from the Municipality to open up two routes, both fairly close to town.

The first route was from Wildgoose Lake, one of the only lakes around that has a fair number of people living on it. It connects with the Namewaminikan River, and is a great beginners route, with excellent scenery, and enough challenge to make it memorable. Overview is shown below:

Al5RQWB.png

Eu0sdrL.png

fD8Py12.png

hZGYLko.png

The major work on this trip was the two kilometre port from Turkey Lake to Partridge Lake. I last cleared it in 2005, and I remembered it as being a lot of work. It didn’t disappoint this time around either.

C871NVX.jpg

Chainsaw Rob at the entrance to 2 K port.

We sweated for around 9 hours. Rob went through 8 tanks of gas in his chainsaw. At the end though, the major obstacle to re-opening this route was completed. Over the next few days, we finished clearing the other short ports. One day after finishing, a group of four women did the trip. If you want to see their pics, and you do the Facebook thing, my Greenstone canoe site is here. https://www.facebook.com/groups/2430359543862050/

Next on our list was a long route from Dickison Lake back to Geraldton, and even over to Longlac, if so inclined. An overview is shown at https://www.facebook.com/groups/2430...6586992572636/

This route involved a lot of cutting and many days. We were updating and re-routing several ports to make this into a premier route. For the middle of the route, we had a long way to go to get to where the ports started. Keeping in mind that these are work trips, we often resorted to my 17 foot freighter with the little 2.5 Suzuki.

OVIPtL9.jpg

We pulled a Bell Northsomething behind us until we got into the ports, then started a regular canoe trip type thing.

5G28MLK.jpg

We cleared 8 ports the day before, and were hoping to do four today, but there was more obstacles than we had anticipated.

kbNxkrg.jpg

Chainsaw Rob halfway through port # 2 of the day.

zaBgnJI.jpg

There is a port past this pile, we just haven’t cut it yet.

We cut through 2 ports then left our get at the old trapper’s shack, which is becoming one with the ground more and ore every year.

ScEg7TO.jpg

Pushing on through the third port, a swampy and wet 500 metres, I was shocked and dismayed to find a logging road pushed through the middle of the port. Last year I joined a local citizens advisory group to the Forest Industry, and after many presentations, it seemed like I had finally persuaded them to respect the canoe routes. I have been fighting with them for 25 years now, and it is mostly a losing battle.

oHp0clF.jpg

Road through the port

I have been woking on preserving the “Illusion of Wilderness”, whereby the Forestry Companies leave generous buffers around designated canoe routes, so that travellers will never even know that there has been much cutting all around the route. It seemed like we had made a breakthrough last year, so I am hoping that this incursion is merely a mistake, and not a new pattern that has to be fought against again.

By the time we finished cutting the third port, we realized that the forth would have to wait until tomorrow, as it was a longish affair (900 m) through a burn. We returned to camp, and the beer I had on ice went down pretty well.

gGDK9bE.jpg

CS Rob tried out his new twig stove from amazon, and it worked pretty well.

P2axMD5.jpg

I resorted to my standby, the furnace with the little fan, that thing can boil a pot of water in about a minute.

u80C35b.jpg

We had a relaxing evening, but I hit the hay early, in my little coffin tent, and had the worst sleep ever. Think I’m going to give in and try a hammock.

Ct0aPJt.jpg

The next morning we got up bright and early and finished off the last port. It was a long trek back out, and I was glad when we made it back to the freighter.

T6sGPzj.jpg

Morning on Keanne Lake

Anyway, two routes are open again, both with unique characteristics, and both worth travelling.

As for the rest of the summer, I have been travelling around in the big freighter. irene and I got invited to a weekend party on a big lake called Chipman, just outside of Longlac. It was a very nice campsite, and lots of fun for three days.

TxSi3Dt.jpg

wm15T3z.jpg

We have a couple of more freighter trips planned, and I’m hoping to run the Steel loop solo, but things are on hold for the moment, as I pushed some of my fingers through a table saw a couple of days ago. I am regenerating like a salamander though, so hopefully i will be mobile by the end of this week, as we are planning on a two freighter trip with my son and his girlfriend.

Stay safe Canoetrippers!

Last edited:
Not sure what you are seeing, perhaps its an optical illusion lol. That's Robs old Husky that he used working for hydro for the last many years.

Guess my old eyes are deceiving me, mem. Kathleen and I maintain 8 km (5 miles) of trails on our property. It’s a never-ending battle to clear deadfall and windfall. I had a Husky when I moved here, but have replaced it with a Jonesred, which is about a hundred dollars cheaper for an equivalent model. Both brands are made by the same company. In fact, they come with identical operating manuals. I have asked several “experts” if there is a difference in quality. The usually equivocate, mumble and look away. What is your take on this question?

memaquay,
Are there any ethical questions involved in opening up old portage trails?
It is always interesting to think that some trails were much more heavily used 100 years ago than they are today.

I have only been to the Northwoods once, BWCA.
I have a lot of experience packing horses and mules far in wilderness areas. Sometimes we were in 50 miles from the nearest dirt road.
I always looked forward to penetrating the back country far enough so that the trail maintenance ended. We could often go around big fallen trees and jump over the smaller ones. I kept an axe on the first pack mule for the ones we needed to chop through. Sometimes I think trails are over rated. Sometimes they make life a lot easier.
In the US chainsaws and outboards are not allowed in wilderness areas.

Too few people have had the experience of total wilderness, where there are no signs of humans at all.

Last edited:
Paddlin pitt, I have two jonesreds, they are great saws. I had nothing but trouble with huskies, so go figure. ppine, the land we are on is Crown Land, open to most things except permanent occupancy. There is a brand of canoeist who claims to enjoy hair shirt stuff and trying to bushwhack between lakes, but I think that is because they have never been in Northern Ontario. After seven years, your horse won't be jumping over a tree. because the port will be impenetrable. Hard to describe. If we leave them longer than five years, they usually disappear, consumed by the boreal.

I had a Jonsered chainsaw, wore it out, but took about 30 years of log cabin & home building and annual fire wood cutting back when I heated with just wood. Last two chainsaws I have owned were Husqvarna, only because of my logger friends told me to buy something from a local dealer so if worst come to worse, you can get it repaired. Each was lighter than it's predecessor which is important as you age. I was told that the Jonsered saws are just older models of the Husqvarna, in all likelihood just a different paint and logo, like Evenrude & Johnson outboards used to be. The only saw that I have never been able to start are Stihl brand. People that own them love them, I wouldn't take one even if it was free. I have taken chainsaws on river trips, never like using it from a canoe though. Used them to cut ice while beaver trapping and darkhouse spear fishing. I also knew a guy that did volunteer work for a charity that salvaged road killed moose. He used a new battery powered electric chainsaw that used corn oil for bar oil, to speed up the process of getting the carcass cut up and off the highway.

Great post and work Mem! Maintaining portages is truly a thankless task. Thank You! You have a beautiful landscape up there. I love the Northern Boreal Forest.

I hope the locals appreciate your efforts, and it’s nice to see your FB page doing well. I know when I was in town I dropped a few hundred between motel, meals, beverages and other items, these crown land routes in the Geraldton, Ontario area are great, lots of options, Thanks

Wait, I’m confused; two Rob’s and the other guy is somehow “Chainsaw Rob”?

I haven’t tested this theory, but I believe if you Google the words Chain saw + Port clearing + Motorized square stern + Cold Beer one result is “See also, Memaquay.

Photo question. I’ve been leaned over sideways in front of the monitor trying to discern the name on that can. Beefman maybe, is that some drek sold at Canadian Tire?

There’s a 60L barrel begging for a folding table top. Freighter canoe, motor, chainsaw, fuel, chair, cooler, ice and beer. . . . .and barely enough room on the barrel lid for a suspicious dry box.

Tisk, tisk, tisk.

That my southern friend is a Sleeman ....a lesser known brand ....I only wish we could get beer at Canadian Tire.

Sleeman 2.0, the new Canadian beer for health conscious old guys. 80 calories, 2 carbs, and about the same strength as your regular American beer. Might be counter productive, as I have to drink 15 or so to feel tipsy. Chainsaw Rob is an unknown legend, the real deal for Canadian Bushmen. In my 40's I was still able to do it all by myself, but I rarely venture into a clearing session without him now. I'm close to 60, he is 60 but still strong like bull without any stents, puts most 20 year olds to shame. If any of youse guys get up here, you will have to meet Chainsaw Rob, he is the ultimate of understated Canadian bushman.

All the cowboy hero's on the silver screen of my youth had a side kick with a funny name. They are always there to pull the the fat out of the fire, in the nick of time. Glad you have yours. Who is the lady with the knife on her hip? Is she packing the "Ripster" or is she following the boy scout motto?

Ha ha, that's my wife Irene, and that's Spanish steel on her hip. A delicate, beautiful deadly blade that she's not afraid to use, fillets fish like a champ too, and usually out-fishes me. Northern Ontario French Canadian gal, hard to beat!

Sleeman 2.0, the new Canadian beer for health conscious old guys. 80 calories, 2 carbs, and about the same strength as your regular American beer. Might be counter productive, as I have to drink 15 or so to feel tipsy. Chainsaw Rob is an unknown legend, the real deal for Canadian Bushmen. In my 40's I was still able to do it all by myself, but I rarely venture into a clearing session without him now. I'm close to 60, he is 60 but still strong like bull without any stents, puts most 20 year olds to shame. If any of youse guys get up here, you will have to meet Chainsaw Rob, he is the ultimate of understated Canadian bushman.

Yes, unfortunately he wasn't able to make the party IIRC. It would've been a slice sharing some real beers back when we could drink 'em. Hopefully next trip.

And your Franco-Ontarioenne gal can't be beat.

Thanks for the port clearing report. You're a credit to all who canoe trip.

Last edited:
That my southern friend is a Sleeman ....a lesser known brand ....I only wish we could get beer at Canadian Tire.

The brewery is just up the road a ways from me. I used to drop in occasionally. Sadly now it's gone foreign. Oh well, that's the way some things go.
Beer at the C Tire is genius. That's about as likely to happen as pot going legal.

I am a little confused. You are opening up brushed in portage trails with modern chainsaws. One of your guys goes by the name of Chainsaw Rob, but you don't like logging roads and logging companies?

Great work their men. When it comes to chainsaw brands just remember the bigger names usually have three grades of chainsaws: homeowner,rancher and pro. Homeowner saws can't handle a long portage and a pro saw is built to work long and hard.

I am a little confused. You are opening up brushed in portage trails with modern chainsaws. One of your guys goes by the name of Chainsaw Rob, but you don't like logging roads and logging companies?

Loggers haven't used chainsaws up here since the 1960's. They use slashers, de-limbers, feller bunchers, skidders, massive machines with one purpose, to denude the land of trees. The scale of "logging" going on up here is incomprehensible, unless you see it. Vast tracts of wilderness exterminated in days. I fight to keep measly little 100 meter buffers around canoe routes, to maintain the illusion of wilderness. Most canoeists want a wilderness experience, not a logging experience. Most canoeists also like to have some semblance of a portage. This is pool and drop country, you would be hard pressed to do a 100 mile trip with out at least a dozen ports. The route we just finished clearing has 17 ports in 120 kilometres, ranging in length from 80 metres to 900 meters. Hence, chainsaws. Chainsaws help preserve the routes the logging companies are trying to consume.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

That helps clear up some of the confusion. I cannot comment on what happens in Canada, except that BC has similar problems to the US.

We have neglected forests that suffer greatly from overstocking due to 110 years of fire suppression and greatly reduced logging since around 1990. It is precisely why we have megafires. Built up fuels. It is exactly why we have giant outbreaks of insects like bark beetles. Logging can take place in many forms. In the US we use clearcut logging mostly west of the Cascade Mtn crest. Selection logging is common nearly everywhere else.

A lot of people want the public to believe that insect outbreaks, pathogens and big fires are caused by climate change. They aren't.. They are caused by neglect.
Chain saws are not likely to go out of style in steep mountain country that feller bunchers can't reach.

Back