• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Plans for cedar strip Y stern

Thought I'd show you all a pic of my Johnson. I know it's not that big, and nothing to write home about, but I was always told that when dealing with Johnsons, it was more about the ability to last forever as opposed to coming out of the gates like a race car and dieing a few seconds later.

Great stuff.

I'm assuming yours is a pull start. Careful of the recoil. (lol)

ps Oh, and take it easy reconditioning that little 2 horse, I'm told it's bad for your eyesight.

Last edited:
Ha ha hha hah, pull start indeed! Seems like when those little motors reach vintage age, one has to pull on them forever to make them start!

Seriously though, I wonder what handy bits and pieces will go in an emergency tool/repair kit for this tripping set-up?

Jim, I think I'll stick to 1/4 inch strips, but double layer of six ounce cloth on the outer hull, and generous overlaps on the inner hull. The transom should be a bit of fun, i'm thinking of just using plywood as I'll probably paint over everything anyway.

Brad, not much different from what I carry now, except maybe a spare spark plug and some extra fuel line. Chainsaw gas is mixed same as motor, so I'll still be carrying almost the same load.

Our transom is a full 1 inch thick, some sort of birch or maple I suspect, and had a 3/8 plywood layer on the outside to clamp the canvas down and protect it. I suspect on a cedar strip boat the outer layer would be redundant.

I have no experience with a transomed canoe ! Plywood or solid ? In either case a good job of sealing would be in order. You won't be screwing the strips to it, so plywood should be fine .
Maybe more info will accompany the plans.

Great project !

Jim

Back