• Happy 1st Showing of a Color Photograph (1861)! 📷🎥🏳️‍🌈

Plans for cedar strip Y stern

Ordered Alex's plans last night. Alan made me a really nice set of plans for a big solo canoe, I was going to build it this year, but it might have to wait now till I get the "sport boat" done.

From an earlier thread where Jim and I discussed buying plans:

You can still get plans from Robb Whites sons. You just have to send a $75 check and a letter to their P.O. box. It's an odd way to get plans nowadays but not so strange before the internet.

This is what their website says:

I do not have any email capability nor do I talk on the telephone. You can write me a plain old letter at P.O. Box 561, Thomasville, GA 31799. If you search the online phone books, you might come up with a Robb White in south Georgia but that is not me and that woman is tired of having to drive to my shop to tell me that somebody is desperately trying to get hold of me.

Check will go out tomorrow. Thanks Muskrat !
​ I need something to at least dream about this Winter !

Jim

Well, I emailed Martin Step at Greenvalley last night. Martin sells the plans for many of John Winters' designs. I asked him if he or John had ever planned out a square stern canoe. Well, saw me off and call me shorty, they had. I think I will go with this model, as it is actually a canoe and should be quite manageable on the ports. Might stretch it out to 17 feet, haven't decided yet.

Looks good. Now get busy! Spring will be here before we know it (I hope).

Will be fun to see something different take shape and new challenges to overcome.

Alan

Unfortunately Jim, they don't advertise this canoe. I will be the first to build it, so that's kind of exciting. 16 feet long, 39 " at centre and roughly 15 inches deep. Looks like just the thing I was searching for. Now if I can find one of those dang 1960's 1.5 horse evinrude spinners, I'll probably hardly ever paddle again!

Is this gonna be a solo Y-stern? At 16' it sounds kinda short, even for a shorty. What about weight capacity will it have? Are you balancing total weight against volume? I'd understand that. No sense making a behemoth to hold a moose you can't actually portage with.

No sense making a behemoth to hold a moose you can't actually portage with.

Or to hold a moose that you'll never shoot anyway....

Sadie and I are enjoying our new status as "hunters". Just the other day while out for a walk we commiserated with a couple fellow deer hunters who had also not shot a deer all season.

Alan

Or to hold a moose that you'll never shoot anyway....

Sadie and I are enjoying our new status as "hunters". Just the other day while out for a walk we commiserated with a couple fellow deer hunters who had also not shot a deer all season.

Alan
Which brings up the notion of there being 2 types of people, one who believes it's all about the destination, and the other who believes it's all about the trip.
I guess I'm wondering which this Y-stern will suit best. I love the idea and plans for it. Honestly, I'm excited about this project.
My favourite outboard I was trusted to operate was an old cedar strip, ribs and all. About the size and weight of my first car too. Lasted longer than my first car as a matter of fact. When I graduated to an aluminum life just wasn't the same. It bounced off waves like a leaf; not like it's dead-heavy slow motion monster predecessor plowing across the lake. The 20 horse was mean't to keep me out of trouble, which it did (un)fortunately. Did you know that you can waterski behind a 20 horse on a cedar tug? Barely, but we did it. Planning to waterski with the y-stern mem?

Ha ha, nope, no water skiing in the near future. Just scored an old Johnson 2 horse for 20 bucks. Gonna get the kids in the auto class to strip it down and clean it up next week. Looks to be in pretty good shape. Weighs less than 15 pounds, compared to those horrendous 4 stroke engines now. dang, things are coming together, I can really see myself getting far back into new places this year!

That will be fun to port over the 660 on the Kap, or just motor up the rapids even. I was going to suggest Christy sell you here 1.2 hp air cooled gamefisher outboard but I see you now have that covered.

Ha ha, nope, no water skiing in the near future.
Ha! Sure, you say that now, but just wait till you're into your third Bud Lite with your spanking brand new Y-stern looking pretty pulled up on shore, and far from the conservative fishing crowd; all that fancy tarp rope coiled next to those two innocent looking animal tail paddles will suggest otherwise. In no time flat mem will be at the controls with Brad holding on tight testing the strength of that 3/8 " Amsteel-blue "tarp" tow rope, skimming across the lake at an eye watering speed, paddles strapped to my borrowed T-Bay mall walking shoes, all that hair blowing freely in the wind, mem calling "Wow Brad! You look so COOL! Drop that right ski and show me those slalom moves!! HOLD ON, here comes the first jump!!"...oh wait. You're gonna need a bigger motor. Well screw that daydream.
A 15 pound motor and a 6 pound (6 gallon) fuel tank will still make it all worthwhile. Moose or no moose.

Last edited:
We are still chipping away at our Y stern. I had a little help the other day so we managed to get the old Gamefisher motor running. We shimmed the lower unit gearing to clean up some end play too so it is all coming together nicely. Other than the part about it smoking a lot,even when it is in a tank of water, it is a pretty neat motor for $50.

Alan....I hunt like that now too...lol. Pretty much all of my game comes either from someone else's freezer or from hitting grouse with the car.

Thought I'd show you all a pic of my Johnson. I know it's not that big, and nothing to write home about, but I was always told that when dealing with Johnsons, it was more about the ability to last forever as opposed to coming out of the gates like a race car and dieing a few seconds later. Make sure to give the video a whirl, it explains the concept in more detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibAbEqxiFw0

Keep your eyes open, I will be looking for something in the way of a 5 hp for the frieghter. An old Eska air cooled would be slick.

As always, nice johnson Mem.

Thought I'd show you all a pic of my Johnson. I know it's not that big, and nothing to write home about, but I was always told that when dealing with Johnsons, it was more about the ability to last forever as opposed to coming out of the gates like a race car and dieing a few seconds later. Make sure to give the video a whirl, it explains the concept in more detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibAbEqxiFw0
Wow That's a score ! Looks new enough, that parts should be available !

With gear, and a load of Spam, I'd be tempted to look for a 3 hp, and ship that 2 hp to Iowa !

OK serious time ! What are you planning on building this Virgin with, 1/4" strips ?
OH ! and WE need transom info too !

Jim

Back