• Happy 1st Showing of a Color Photograph (1861)! 📷🎥🏳️‍🌈

Plans for cedar strip Y stern

Reaction score
I've been all over the internet looking for suitable plans for a 16 -17 foot Y stern. So far, nothing has caught my fancy. I want to be able to port this canoe and run a small motor off it and hopefully be able to carry a moose in it too. I know I could put a bracket on one of my canoes, but I would rather have a dedicated beast. Anyone have any ideas?

Take your 20' canoe, chop 2' off, put a plywood transom and done... Sort of! But seriously, you could take a station or 2 of the form, put a "Y" stern transom on and you would have a Y stern canoe.... Yes No???

Nearly any plan can be modified for a Y stern.
​ As Canotrouge says, you could omit the stem form, and use your last form, providing it's wide enough to accept your motor.

​ Most designs would benefit stretching the forms aft of center to counter the extra weight of the motor

​ Do you have a specific design in mind ?

Alan could design something I'm sure !!!

Jim

I have a 16 foot Y stern here that we could take the lines off. It is smallish in that it appears more like a regular canoe that has been altered to have a Y stern. 36 inches wide and such. You saw it. A little heavy to portage but a nice hull. Made as a stripper it would probably go @ 65 lbs? The guys that built it used it for moose hunting up around Algonquin.

This has been one of my ideas for a while to make up plans for a Y stern and sell them...either boats or plans. Let me talk it over with the wife, we could bring that one in next and get the wood work done on it, maybe take lines off then. Or maybe you could use my hull as a form and just build right on that. You would have to come get it though.

Maybe pour a mould in the stern and make a solid casting for the form to wrap strips around that would be adaptable to different hulls. Failing that I may have to take a day off and go hang out with D Ingram for an afternoon while he is building the fleet of y sterns for the Cross Lake racing crews. I am still trying to pry a frieghter out of his hands that lives in his back yard.

As an aside, I have a guy in Loon Straights that has been trying to sell me a 16 ft W/C Y stern for a year now. Wants $400. That might make a good form for strippers too. I have not seen it yet.

Lotsa options. I have been thinking of the same sort of thing lately myself.

Christy

How's about we just fix this one and sell it to you, then you do what you want to get a stripper off it. It is robustly built. By robust I mean, it has over 1/4" thick planking, you could likely use it as is for a mould and it would be ideal for your annual take more booze than food summer trip.

Last edited:
Good question. it is not as big as the 18 ft freighter that we had. Those are 4 ft wide and come in at @ 130 lbs. We picked this one up easily ourselves so I am thinking @ 80lbs. It can be our next one to get in the shop, where we can weigh it with and without canvas. Like we said though, the planking is mucho sturdy on this one so that makes it a touch heavier than say, your Tremblay. Easy lift for two. Tough for one old guy ( cough cough). It would however make a really good form just as it is. Want us to make ya a stripper?

Christy

Ha ha, no I can get my own strippers, so to speak. I'm going to try the second hand market around here for a while, and keep looking for plans.

A little pricey for me, unless you can find a used one. There are usually lots of grummans and such come spring time. They are not light but they can sure take a beating. Now you have me seriously considering making a stripper off of mine ...but we have other work to do, it will have to keep until the summer. I need to sell some boats this year first.

Never seen one but, like Muskrat, I think the Robb White Sport Boat looks pretty neat. And I like the way he tells a story.

Alan

Great Spirit Canoe http://greatspiritcanoes.com/html/canoes.htm has the Ogilvy.

GSC was the old Cedarwood Canoe company which used alot of original Chestnut forms.

Ogilvy-26Foot-1_Thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the links people! I think the Robb White Sport boat is essentially the same boat that Alex has. I couldn't find a spot on the Robb White page to order plans, my understanding is that he has passed.

I am in communication with Alex now about trying to make his plans work, he's been very fast to respond.

Thanks for all the links people! I think the Robb White Sport boat is essentially the same boat that Alex has. I couldn't find a spot on the Robb White page to order plans, my understanding is that he has passed.

Last I knew his family was still providing plans. No internet purchasing, send them a check for $75 and you get your plans a while later. I hope they're still doing that. I've always meant to get plans before they aren't available anymore but of course haven't gotten around to it.

Alan

From an earlier thread where Jim and I discussed buying plans:

You can still get plans from Robb Whites sons. You just have to send a $75 check and a letter to their P.O. box. It's an odd way to get plans nowadays but not so strange before the internet.

This is what their website says:

I do not have any email capability nor do I talk on the telephone. You can write me a plain old letter at P.O. Box 561, Thomasville, GA 31799. If you search the online phone books, you might come up with a Robb White in south Georgia but that is not me and that woman is tired of having to drive to my shop to tell me that somebody is desperately trying to get hold of me.

Back