• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

PIctures of celebrities in canoes

The video of Cal fly fishing makes me question whether he knew what he was doing. One clip appears to show him snagging his line on an out-of-frame obstruction; the video cuts just as he is turning around to see what he is snagged on and why he cant pull his rod forward.

Rita Hayworth married Orson Welles on September 7, 1943, during her lunch break from the filming of the movie Cover Girl. The marriage lasted only four years.

Orson Welles Rita Hayworth.jpg

I believe I've seen a picture of alsg now using that pool as his canoe test facility, but I'm frequently confabulated.

Juliane Koepcke.jpg

As best I can figure, that is Juliane Koepcke poling in the bow of a dugout in the Amazon rain forest of Peru, where she was raised by her biologist parents.

Juliane who? Someone who double survived things that none of us have.

17-year old Juliane Koepcke was the only survivor of LANSA Flight 508 on Christmas Eve 1971, the deadliest lightning-strike disaster in aviation history. The plane broke apart at 10,000 feet and Juliane survived a two mile plunge into the jungle while strapped into her three-across seat, which got thrown free from the plane as it disintegrated.

With only a broken collar bone and some deep cuts, plus lost eyeglasses and one lost shoe, Juliane then survived 11 days of wandering in the Amazon jungle with only a small bag of candy for food. She came upon an outboard motorboat and siphoned gasoline into her deep cuts to kill the maggots that were infesting them. Finally, she was rescued.

She grew up to get a Ph.D. in zoology, specializing in bats.

Here are two articles about her ordeal and a 1998 documentary.

2 miles! That’s a lot of time to freak out. Gassing maggots in your cuts take resolve. Impressive. Horrifying.

Did you, your parents or grandparents see this sweet movie in 1971?

Big Gene Wilder fan although Willy Wonks is way down the list of my favourite Gene movies.

I did watch a bit of it about a month ago on TCM where it's a regular.

Top films (no order)

Bonnie and Clyde
The Producers (personal #1)
Stir Crazy
Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex
Blazing Saddles

Can't find a pic of Gene in a canoe, this is the closest I could get (scene from The Producers)

1652496107207.png

vera-ellen-vintage-bikini.jpg

Vera-Ellen (1921-1981) was one of the youngest women ever to be chosen as a Rockette, and went on to become a well-known American dancer and actress in movies. She danced in films with the two greatest male hoofers of all time, Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly. Hollywood hasn't made many great dance movies since Kevlar was introduced for canoes. This 1945 photo also proves that paddling beavertails from the stern of a wood/canvas canoe without a life jacket was not invented by certain members of this forum.

That's a great photo of Vera Ellen, she really looks like she is enjoying her paddle. If you notice her leg position she can transfer weight to her leading right leg to change her trim when needed. I can stand up from that position and with one step be kneeling with my butt on the stern thwart for a more "traditional" trim.

I'm not a fan of the sponsons though.

Alfred Hitchock in Canoe.jpg

Known as the "Master of Suspense", Alfred Hitchcock had been directing movies for more than 30 years when his hit TV show, Alfred Hitchock Presents, premiered in 1955 and ran until 1965. He introduced each episode with a dry humor monologue, and the picture above was taken from the monologue for the March 16, 1958, episode called The Foghorn, starring Barbara Bel Geddes and Michael Rennie.

You can watch this monologue and the entire episode here:

Back