• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

PIctures of celebrities in canoes

Mamie Van Doren, one of the many buxom, blond, B-list sex symbol types of the 1950's. But how many people do you know who play chess in a canoe?

Mamie Van Doren.jpg

Ann Rutherford (1917 – 2012) was a Canadian-born American actress in film, radio, and television. She had a long career starring and co-starring in films, playing Polly Benedict during the 1930s and 1940s in the Andy Hardy series, and appearing as one of Scarlett O'Hara's sisters in the film Gone with the Wind.

Ann Rutherford.jpg

There's a very famous celebrity in this c. 1924 photo taken on Garoupe beach (la plage de la Garoupe) in Antibes, France.

PIcasso c. 1924.jpg

It's a bare-chested Pablo Picasso. His wife, ballet dancer Olga Khokhlova, is standing on the deck of the canoe in a tutu.

In memory of his grand times at that beach, Picasso 31 years later created a painting called La Plage a la Garoupe:

the-beach-in-garoupe-1955.jpg!Large.jpg

Smoking and paddling. What was the pic from? Do you know?
Jim

Who among us has ever smoked while paddling 42 years ago? 👋 I ran across the picture on Pinterest or eBay. It is from the 1980 movie Little Darlings. Here's another shot with Matt Dillon climbing in the canoe.

Kristy McNichol Matt Dillon Little Darlings 1980.jpg

Not I. A college girlfriend smoked camel lights, and they didn’t agree with me. Kind of cured me I suppose.

What is Ned Beatty holding in his left hand?

It is a fiberglass Old Town paddle with a wood shaft and a "T" grip. Other examples are shown below from the cover of the 1972 catalog. See https://www.wcha.org/forums/index.php?threads/deliverance-canoe.12713/ for more about the wooden canoes. Old Town supplied the paddles, lifejackets, and wooden canoes used in the movie. They even sent an employee to help them get the wooden canoe to break perfectly in half at exactly the correct time.

Benson

large-72.jpg

Back