• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

One more choice for a pack.....

Reaction score
I've tried various kinds of packs to hold the things I'd like ready to hand while paddling. All flop over if given a chance and absolutely none offer any kind of horizontal surface to put things on, like your map/compass, lunch etc.

As in all things in life, it's a compromise. The original purpose was/is as trapper's pack basket and it doesn't come with any lid. So my first order of business was to make a lid, simple enough piece of plywood fitted in place. Actually, given the slight taper of the opening it's wedged in place and needs a round wooden pull to get it free. Not hard, just a tug.

I had thought to make some sort of waterproof closure but for that you need some kind of leverage to press the lid down into firm contact. I can't think of anyway to do that without making it more complicated and fussy than I'd like. Then too I want free access to the contents while I'm paddling.
Originally it was built using pop rivets, I drilled out enough to mount the two straps that you see holding down my map, rain gear and finally the lid. The missing rivets were replaced by flat headed screws.
On the inside, the remaining pop rivet stubs can rub on the contents so I've covered them with duct-tape. (alas, RIP duck-tape)
I'll keep an eye on them for any future miss behavior.

The pack is comfortable to wear, has a ready tump head band to ease your shoulders and a lifting loop. I expect this winter I'll make a "shower cap" to cover the top during a rain, out of waterproof material.
The only thing I don't care for is that it extends up above the gunnels farther than I'd like, although the weight is still in the bottom of the pack. I place it just forward of the yoke so it's easy for me to get to.

Best Wishes,

Rob

Geeze Rob, I'm starting to think you are the Thomas Edison of canoeing. I often curse my day pack after it has sat in water for a day at the bottom of the canoe. I also like to keep my maps and my GPS right in front of me...seems like you have made the solution. What other projects have you got up your sleeves?

Doesn't look too comfy at all. Not with any sort of weight. But I do very much like the idea.

I am currently experimenting with square pails. The dog cookies come in square pails and I have another that was from laundry detergent at work. Fits nicely into my Woods knock off pack. With a slightly larger pack I could easily get two tall and two short square buckets in there. For now I just have the one.

My maps are in a map case with a caribeener that hooks onto a pack or pfd while canoeing and onto the side of the food barrel for the portage.

If you were able to find two shorter ones that stacked for portaging would that solve your height in the canoe issue?

Sort of like this concept..... http://www.canoestories.com/packs/packs.htm

Nice mods!

I use a fisheye lens compass, which is close enough for my navigational needs, pinned to my pack. It doesn't need to lay flat to work. I put my map through some bungies on the pack as well.

Hi Red, About the comfort: The only pack I've ever found that was truly comfortable was the one carried by someone else! That said, this one seems to fit my back pretty well, the shoulder straps could be a little wider, maybe someday I'll change them out. What surprised me and it turns out I really like is the "tump" loop of material. It doesn't hurt to use and gives the shoulders a real break. My worry about the pack sticking up above the gunnels is just a little foolish when I consider how much of me extends above and in the wind. I plan to keep the weight low, jacket/sweater/hat in the upper part.

Thanks for the link to that fellows pack system. You can't help but like someone who's that much into some idea he's working on. To "mine" for all the usable information will require some careful reading, Thanks!

Memaquay, Even a blind hog will occasionally find an acorn! I've been thinking about that seal for the lid; now it would require some careful fitting but couldn't you split some plastic tubing and fit it to the edge of the lid? Sort of like this: C---- Once you had the right fit I wonder if that Gorilla glue would grip onto the plastic? Maybe if I scruffed up the inside with sandpaper somehow.

I know there are some great DIY ideas batting around out there! Winter is coming on and I really dread the long dark days. Come on you all, share some of what your doing!

Best Wishes,

Rob

I'm thinking of resurrecting an old winter tent, putting a new stove jack in it, and perhaps designing a pole system for it. I also want to strip the old varnish off the stock of an ancient Cooey single shot .22 and oil it up and bring it back to life. Oh ya, and build a new canoe. The last two I know i will do, the first....we'll see.

Back