• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Not another canoe build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
The title gives fair warning. This is not a canoe build but rather a (gasp) kayak, and a skin on frame one to boot!

As usual it was a long winter, too cold to put the finishing touches on my cedar stripper now hanging in the garage. But I have a toasty, unfinished basement where I could work away in comfort as long as I could get whatever I come up with out of a relatively tiny window once done. Throw in minimal cutting and sanding requirements, no noxious chemicals to stink up the house, and little in the way of strongback and related "infrastructure", and a SOF build made a lot of sense. So in late February I acquired a set of plans, a couple of sheets of Baltic birch, some clear 16 foot Douglas fir (as I found out, not a wood I like that much but serves the purpose) and was in my happy place while staying warm and social distancing.

Being aware that this site is named "canoetripping", not "kayaktripping", and in light of the pretty awesome canoe build threads now underway here, I won't bore you with all the details. But I have to say I enjoyed the process and hopefully will actually like the boat once I get it in the water - even "upsized" it a bit to make it light tripping capable. And hey, it gives everyone here something to look at and maybe trash talk for a few minutes.

So the following is an overview, short and sweet (although to be frank this construction is so simple that there isn't a lot more to show, which is a big part of its charm if a relatively clean, quicky build is what you are looking for - I may even do it again next winter). Will post a few follow-up photos once completed.

Started with plans for fuselage frame kayak, 15 feet long by 24 inches maximum beam. Given that a lot of interior space is eaten up by the plymwood frames in this style, I upsized the printing by about 10 percent to increase interior volume, and extended the length up to 16 feet so it wouldn't look too chubby.
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1337.JPG Views:	0 Size:	225.4 KB ID:	108161

Cut out form stands and aligned on strongback (box beam made from steel framing studs, mounted on cheapo plastic sawhorses). Frames are hot glued to the steel box beam, and keel stringer zip- tied into place
ce Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1338.JPG Views:	0 Size:	261.8 KB ID:	108164Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1339.JPG Views:	0 Size:	342.3 KB ID:	108163

Plywood forms placed and first couple of stringers attached - I like the cedar floorboards in the second photo below, but they add almost 4 pounds so they probably won't stay.
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1342.JPG Views:	0 Size:	310.9 KB ID:	108165
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1345.JPG Views:	0 Size:	297.4 KB ID:	108166

Some considerable lashings later, all stringers are done and coaming base tied in. Douglas fir for the keel, chine and gunnel stringers, cedar for the ones on the deck.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1356.JPG Views:	0 Size:	305.2 KB ID:	108167

A profile and top down shot - lines look ok to me, although with 26 inch beam it is a little chubby for a kayak, but good room for comfort and light tripping freight

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1357.JPG Views:	0 Size:	333.6 KB ID:	108168Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1355.JPG Views:	0 Size:	294.4 KB ID:	108169

All clamps on deck for glueing up the coaming riser to assume the correct bend for the base

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1351.JPG Views:	0 Size:	293.6 KB ID:	108170
Coaming completed - 1/4 inch plywood layers with cedar veneer on top, under 3 coats of epoxy. And up-sized for easy entry/exit and room to move my creaky legs and hips around once in. Will screw onto the coaming base from below, sandwiching the fabric in between.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1362.JPG Views:	0 Size:	358.2 KB ID:	108171Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1363.JPG Views:	0 Size:	302.5 KB ID:	108172

Thats where I am right now. Weight is 21 pounds - hope to stay under 30 when all is done. Next steps are to varnish the frame, then attach the polyester skin and seal it, which means I will probably have to move the frame from my basement to garage through the aforementioned tiny window. If you don't hear anything more from me on this you will know that I have grossly mis-measured one or the other.

Attachments

• IMG_1338.JPG
    IMG_1338.JPG
    261.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Skin on frame is an interesting build type, one of the guys I camp with made a canoe with similar dimensions to your build, came in around 36 pounds.

The surprising thing to me was how strong and robust the canoe was, he spent the week "testing it" ...down some rapids, doing water recovery trials (flipping and trying to get back in) , although I don't think he ever executed a successful recovery, the canoe worked well.

Watch your weight carefully, but it is likely the 30 pound mark has already come and gone .... the finishing adds a lot more weight than you might think, material weighs a lot, the seal coats also add quite a bit.... but good luck I hope you keep it low.

I am looking forward to seeing it completed and hearing your opinions.

Brian

Someones gotta say it, how does this fit on this site? If we open it up to that other type of paddle craft it will take over........:eek:

I totally agree!! I know it is a nice place to share stuff with the awesome people we have here but there is plenty of other places to share kayak stuff, please let’s keep this place canoe only and tripping mostly!!

Geez- seems a bit harsh... I’m a new guy here so I expect to catch some grief for this, but I think given what’s going on in the world we can be a bit more tolerant and supportive. Maybe if you see something you aren’t interested in just ignore it...? I don’t think his post will encourage pontoon boat restoration and offshore fishing threads. Just my opinion.

Geez- seems a bit harsh... I’m a new guy here so I expect to catch some grief for this, but I think given what’s going on in the world we can be a bit more tolerant and supportive. Maybe if you see something you aren’t interested in just ignore it...? I don’t think his post will encourage pontoon boat restoration and offshore fishing threads. Just my opinion.

Guess we'll leave it up to Doug but the rules have always been canoes only, that's one of the things that makes this site so unique.

In light of the change in direction this site has taken I've edited my post. No more long-winded story, just a welcome to whoever and whatever you paddle. What used to be canoe tripping is now all inclusive paddling sports, canoes and canoe trips optional. That's cool, so now I stand corrected and understand the new no-rules thing. It's Doug's party now, so everybody into the pool, paddle whatever ya got. Welcome to the bottom of the slippery slope.
No hard feelings. But I'll always miss canoe tripping. Thanks for the memories Robin. It was good while it lasted.

Last edited:
Well I expected some ribbing for dabbling on the dark side with this off-season build, but it seems I have inadvertently created some kind of disturbance in the force. In the spirit of a lot of other only loosely on-topic posts here, this was just a fun project that I thought I would share. But I can respect the need to keep the site focused on what has made it such a great source of information for all involved. Canoes and tripping are what attracted me here in the first place. And while I would debate the point that tripping can ONLY be done in a canoe, I can appreciate the whole slippery slope argument and have no problem removing this post once I figure out how. Thanks all.

I mean if this was the only paddle craft forum on earth then I would probably cave in.... but it ain’t the case pandemic or not hahaha!

As BWCA66 said it should be left up to me. I know this has been a site focused on canoes but in these different times I think there should be allowances. Traveler is still building and posting about that build and here's the thing Traveler is showing another way of building so if you all want my opinion it's absolutely OK for these days we are in. I don't think there is any danger of this board going to the dark side. We all know who we are and why we contribute so much here. It is the backbone of this community. All of you are why I keep plugging away at pretending to keeping a bunch of renegades in control. Stay safe everyone.

dougd

Thanks for weighing in Doug, when I first starting reading this thread I thought "awesome, I want to see a skin and frame build and some one is taking the time to do it" ... then I read some of the responses, at first I thought it was just joking .... but seriously, with all the diversity on this site, THIS is where you draw the line?

I for one, would just like to thank Traveler for the effort and hope this doesn't irritate him enough to not finish posting the build, heck, I am irritated and it's not even my build.

It was also stated that the rules specifically prohibit this sort heretical posting, I couldn't find anything but general BB operational stuff. Are these "rules" posted on the site somewhere or is this just general schoolyard bullying, because some one is wearing a different shirt?

Brian

Thanks Doug !

I recollect a thread by Muskrat, involving building a Adirondack Guide boat. I was opposed to it's removal.

Where do we draw the line ? Are Outboards allowed ? I've seen a few posts, and not an eyebrow was raised !

I know I didn't start this site, and may not have the right to speak up.

I too would like to see the rules.

I also enjoy Traveler's thread ! If someone doesn't like, they don't have to read it. If there is a post I don't care to see ? I don't open it !

My view.

Jim

Well, it was with some surprise this morning reading the responses! During these difficult days I just don't think one thread about a kayak build is going to break the board, heck, there have been posts here about decked canoes, basically a kayak! There have been posts here about things not canoe related at all over the years. If some of you think I'm doing a crapty job and am steering this site into a direction you don't approve of please shoot me a PM and I'll hand the whole kit and caboodle over to you and you can run the board the way you want! It wouldn't take much effort on my end and it would certainly save me a lot of headaches and free up a lot of my time!

dougd

Thanks Doug !

Nothing crapty about the job you are doing ! This is the type of job that doesn't get easier !!

I can understand both sides of this issue ! And respect them both !

Jim

great design. I would add some bone or ivory just because. Light beautiful and strong.
I built a Pygmy kayak out of African mahogany from a Pygmy kit. It was a 17' 9" Coho. Good in rough weather with a spray skirt.
But I never got used to kayaks. Hard to fit camping equipment in one. Hard to bring a dog.
I sold it.

Well, the sub-forum title is "paddlecraft construction". I've documented the building of a couple of square sterns, that are sort of paddlecraft, perhaps not as much as the Devil's double blade, but whatever. I think just about anything goes in "paddlecraft construction". We have had people building canoes out of space age materials, it has been a fairly fluid category. I'm always interested to see new builds, whatever they are. So in the building sub-forum, a kayak build once in a while is good. However, I don't want to see the dirty yakkers in the other sub-forums, they can go talk about how to prevent paddles dripping up their sleeves on their own Satanic sites.

Being a moderator of a site like this can be a real pain in the arse Doug, but people are grateful you keep the site going, especially in these troubled times.

Mem, I don't know how to tell you, but those devil double blades are spreading fast .... my group used to make fun of me when I showed up with my Grey Owl Tempest, until they tried to keep up .... not surprisingly, almost all of the group now uses a double blade.

I have a build planned to make 3 early this summer .... by request, from canoe folk, to be used with canoes ... the world may be changing, lol

Brian

It was also stated that the rules specifically prohibit this sort heretical posting, I couldn't find anything but general BB operational stuff. Are these "rules" posted on the site somewhere or is this just general schoolyard bullying, because some one is wearing a different shirt?

Brian

Here ya go Brian, no school yard bullying, just a pretty clear message from day one. I sent you this message (Monday, July 18th, 2016) as I did to everyone else I ever vetted, and so up until now, everyone understood the "rules".

Jim Dodd, I sent you the same message when you joined so you can loose the "rules" whine too.

As far as Muskrats "guide Build Thread" that never happened, get you story right. He sent me a PM asking if he could post his guide boat thread and long story short, I said no, canoes only. It was never posted and it was never taken down.

And why should a square stern canoe with a motor be considered off limits on a canoe website?

I hope this reply isn't deleted as I feel I have to defend myself to some unfair and inaccurate criticism.
  • Hi,
    To confirm you are a real person with canoe interests, please answer the following 3 questions.
    This has been very effective in keeping spam, advertisers and hackers off this small site. Hope you understand.

1. Last place you paddled or a river/lake in your area.
    2. what does pfd stand for
    3.any popular canoe manufacture

Also, please keep in mind this is a canoe site with an emphasis on canoe tripping.
    Thanks,
    Robin
    Canoetripping.net Administrator​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back