• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Not another canoe build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Robin, I am not familiar with the posts you are talking about but have no doubt, I wasn't on the radar at that time. Like you I do the same message in the vetting process although I changed it little for the fact that as you well know people don't respond and that clogs the works on the back end. Here's what I send to each person who reaches out to join the forum and I had to Bold a sentence to catch peoples attention for what I said above about clogging the back end:

Greetings from CanoeTripping.net

In an effort to keep this ad free site safe from hackers, spammers and advertisers which have been a problem please take a moment to answer these questions to confirm you are a person whose interests are in canoeing.

Please keep in mind this site is with an emphasis on canoe tripping as well as all things canoe.

A) Name the last river, lake or pond you wet a hull on.

B) Name a canoe that you paddle and the manufacturer of it.

C)What is/was your best canoe trip?

Finally, if you haven't responded to the questions within 5 days I will delete you out of the request list. This means you will have to reapply again so please take a minute to answer these simple questions.

dougd
CanoeTripping.net Administrator

So that part hasn't changed much, same message as set down by Robin and I have followed it.

During this time I don't think we should be pointing fingers at each other and debating whether a particular build should be posted. This is a time when we need to stand by each other as the rules for how we conduct normal life have changed so much that normal life isn't there anymore. I realize we are under a lot of stress myself as well. I still need to go to work everyday, essential personnel I'm considered so I have to go interact with folks and other stuff in my job that puts me in threat on a daily basis with this virus and I'm nervous as well as creating a little tension on the home front.

For us all to argue over a post and then try to defend our stances is not what this board is about. We are better then that. We are all captains of our own ships but with CanoeTripping we all have a hand in how things go with the board and we IMO need to work together and not against each other. I may steer this ship but it is up to all of you to paddle us through this rough time as I can not do this on my own. I need all of you to help not me but each other out and instead of a negative find a positive to respond to. I know my earlier post in this thread was one of anger but I should have stepped back for a bit before I posted and with that in mind maybe we can all try to achieve that, stepping back and thinking for a bit before our fingers hit the keyboard.

This community is the strongest one I have ever been a part of, it's why I took on the thankless job of keeping this site up and going and I can honestly say I don't regret one moment of the task. So please let's let somethings slide for now. All boats float regardless of what they are, sharing a build is offering a piece of your life to this group whether is be a guide boat, a canoe or a kayak, you are sharing your experience and that is why this place is so important. When we are back to a more normal we will keep to canoeing, tripping, builds more focused on the intentions of this board, the canoe.

Doug

Is there or would it be wrong to keep it canoe only? I paddle only open canoes with single blade, I do lots of whitewater but pretty much never post anything whit water replayed unless it is a trip, I don’t post park and play session even if I am using a canoe and single
blade just cause it is not what this site is about! If we let pass a few things here and there you can be sure that it will become more and more and at some points you will loose the people that are here for what it sais it is canoe tripping! That is how I see it just like so many other forums or Facebook groups that get aide tracks and all the sudden half the posts are not relèvent to the ”mandate” of the group... just my opinion though

With all due respect to Robin, there was never any doubt this was a forum with the central theme and focus on canoe tripping. Not coracles. Not kayaks. Not stand up paddle boards. Not pool toys. I myself have happily played with all five and don't find it hard to tell the difference. Had I had the gall to introduce an inflatable unicorn pool toy trip report under Robin's forum I know what would've happened. Those days are long gone.
The Trojan Horse has landed, doors opened and the gang plank has hit the dock. Out piles paddlers with their chosen craft of all description. And now they are crying "bullies!" when they are asked "where's your canoe?!"
I will ask it again. Is there no room over at paddlingdotcom? By all means stay and share your canoe tripping blab. There's lots of room here for that, and over there for your inflatable unicorn. Or coracle. Or kayak. Or whatever. No problem. I may even meet you over there.

ps Dear Doug,
Yes you have listed canoe questions in your screening process, however you've also omitted:

"Also, please keep in mind this is a canoe site with an emphasis on canoe tripping."

Last edited:
Considering how this post is going I'm going to lock it down. My apologies to you Traveler for having your post high-jacked and now frozen out as it never should have happened but I do invite you to finish your tale and build. This is not the way I wanted ANY post to end up with us trying to tear each other apart but here we are. Odyssey Bicker and Banter from P.net/com still exists out there on the web somewhere if you want to go there but it won't reside here. A timeout on some folks part may be a good thing whether self imposed or not. And my PM to you is still an open offer care you to take it up. I am to sorry those of you who kept track of this and had to read through this and as admin I have tried to keep an even keel but apparently my efforts have fallen on some deaf ears. If anyone has issues with this or how the board is being run send me a PM. It sucks to have to take these measures on my end but this needs to end now.

dougd

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back