• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Non-Traditional Canoes?

Reaction score
I was wondering if there is any interest in putting a directory heading for Non-Traditional Canoes?

Over the years our canoe has morphed into a rig with comfortable seating for two, outriggers, and an electric motor. Maybe a sail someday.... A very handy craft for adventuring in the Everglades and backwaters. Although the main hull is We-Noh-Nah canoe, the result still paddles nicely, but doesn't seem to fit any of the current canoe categories. Maybe others have done similar mods.
Roger L.

Attachments

• photo9257.jpg
    photo9257.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 2
Good question...I would use a skiff or jonboat myself.

Just out of pure curiosity, why did you chose a canoe in the first place?

Good Question, Dagger! I've thought about it a lot myself. I think the answer may not be what you think. It sure wasn't anything I set out to do. What happened is that without ever quite realizing how it happened, one day I woke up and discovered our bodies were getting rather old & beat up. They got that way honestly - the result of a lifetime of athletics, but no denying the fact. That meant the sailboat had to go, but we were unwilling to give up on boating.

So I started looking for something light enough that I could horse it around and be put it onto a roof rack by two older folks....might even carry it short distances. I can do that with this basic 37 pound canoe. Once it is off the car top, on it's wheels and assembled, it still weighs under 70 lbs with wheels, paddles, motor, outrigger, and everything else for the day. I can deal with that size & weight pretty easily.

I did look at other boats like skiffs and jonboats and the Hobies, but the ones I found were much heavier.
So that's how we ended up with a canoe. Basically it was because nothing else that large with a decent hull shape was near as light.

How it ended up with outriggers is because one day before the outriggers were added we were maybe a quarter mile from from shore when a powerboat wake flipped us. This was in the Everglades....in water with critters - and it took a long anxious time to swim back to shore.
Swimming while pulling a water-filled canoe that far is difficult for this old guy - not to speak of the disappointment of wet cameras & binocs. Adding simple outriggers make it just about impossible to turn over. Polynesian style. It's even stable enough to do some modest surfing.

The electric motor is optional. We much prefer paddles, and still do a lot of that. With the motor we can stay out longer & go farther.

It's a completely non-traditional canoe, but it got that way for useful reasons.
Enjoy,
rScotty

Attachments

• Launching .JPG
    Launching .JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo9337.jpg
    photo9337.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I fear your topic would attract way too small a group but this is a valuable thread
please can you find a picture of it all set up?
mcCrea and company might take note.

Nothing wrong with ingenuity, Roger! :)
I applaud you for finding ways to stay active and continue doing what you love.
You found mods to fit your location and circumstances.
Paddle on and stay away from those critters!

rScotty, I was actually searching "outriggers" when I found your thread. This is more of a traditional canoe forum but there is definitely an interest in modified canoes out there. I have found myself doing similar mods for different reasons. There are some really good fishing holes near here that just can't be accessed with anything other than a canoe. Once I weasel my way through the weeds and reeds into the marsh and hit the channel I have the place all to myself. It's only a mile or so to open water but the mouth of the marsh is a logjam so power boats can't access it. Once you're in, there is a lot of poling involved to push through vegetation to get from one open area to the next. I also like to stand up for bowfishing. Pushing through weeds and standing on a cooler so you can draw a full size bow and shoot it at a better angle are much safer activities with outriggers. Pulling in a 20 or 25 pound fish can be a little wobbly too. I have a couple of little outboards and trolling motors for doing upstream river runs or accessing hard to reach spots on the lake. Usually my goal is to get somewhere for a purpose, not enjoy the ride, I do downstream river floats for that. Did I mention this is in Kansas? No fun paddling into a 30 mph headwind ;-) I trailer my canoes so weight isn't an issue, I just leave the gear in them and drag'm up on the trailer.

Don't feel bad about being unconventional, it's your boat so really make it YOURS ;-)

Over the years our canoe has morphed into a rig with comfortable seating for two, outriggers, and an electric motor. Maybe a sail someday.... A very handy craft for adventuring in the Everglades and backwaters.

Scotty, all of our canoes have been heavily modified with foot brace bars, minicel padding, back band attachments, Drings and other tie down points and spray covers.

And downwind sailing capability. A decent sail, even a simple downwind sail, counts heavily in my canoe functionality on any kind of open water travel.

Even with a motor. If the breeze is behind you kill the petrol consumption and engine noise and glide for free.

P2160527 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

A sturdy golf umbrella does almost as well in the bow of a tandem, but a simple downwind vee sail works there as well with less bowman effort.

PC290264 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

With a clamp on sail thwart in the bow

PC290266 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

I love the physical act of paddling, but the most fun I have even had in a small boat is quietly and gently sailing my way in moderate breezes. Or sticking friends in a boat with a simple downwind sail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU2mE83Gi0M

Try a golf umbrella held vertically by the bow paddler. Happy with that you may want to look into some easy compact downwind sail rig.

rScotty, I was actually searching "outriggers" when I found your thread. This is more of a traditional canoe forum but there is definitely an interest in modified canoes out there. I have found myself doing similar mods for different reasons. There are some really good fishing holes near here that just can't be accessed with anything other than a canoe. Once I weasel my way through the weeds and reeds into the marsh and hit the channel I have the place all to myself. It's only a mile or so to open water but the mouth of the marsh is a logjam so power boats can't access it. Once you're in, there is a lot of poling involved to push through vegetation to get from one open area to the next. I also like to stand up for bowfishing. Pushing through weeds and standing on a cooler so you can draw a full size bow and shoot it at a better angle are much safer activities with outriggers. Pulling in a 20 or 25 pound fish can be a little wobbly too. I have a couple of little outboards and trolling motors for doing upstream river runs or accessing hard to reach spots on the lake. Usually my goal is to get somewhere for a purpose, not enjoy the ride, I do downstream river floats for that. Did I mention this is in Kansas? No fun paddling into a 30 mph headwind ;-) I trailer my canoes so weight isn't an issue, I just leave the gear in them and drag'm up on the trailer.

Don't feel bad about being unconventional, it's your boat so really make it YOURS ;-)

I like to be able to stand up and fish too; that's another advantage of simple outriggers. At first I didn't know how much buoyancy was needed....still don't.....but these are more than adequate. Standing and leaning hard, I still can't get them half submerged. So even though short and lightweight they make standing easy. Total weight including floats, fittings, and crossbar is a little over 8 lbs. The whole rig is way too strong and buoyant, but it's nice to have them sturdy. I usually mount them a few inches above the water, so they only come into play when needed. Here are some close-up photos.
rScotty

Attachments

• float crossbar_ver2.JPG
    float crossbar_ver2.JPG
    372.7 KB · Views: 0
  • float_3lbs.JPG
    float_3lbs.JPG
    366.5 KB · Views: 0
And here's a Photo of the way the float fits.

Attachments

• mounted.JPG
    mounted.JPG
    331 KB · Views: 0
Back