• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

New tents: they all have too much inner screens

In case anyone is interested, this $1000 tent is on sale for $500 at Mountain Hardware:

ACI™ 3 Tent​

5.0 out of 5 stars. Read reviews for average rating value is 5.0 of 5. Read 4 Reviews Same page link.

(4)
Sale price:$499.98 Regular price:$1,000.00 Save 50%

Color: Alpine Red

This discussion has interested me. I had no idea about this ”controversy.” Kathleen and I bought a MEC Wanderer 4 about 10 years ago. Don’t remember for sure when. Its walls and ceiling are light, white nylon. It has mesh in the front and rear doors, plus light, white nylon behind the mesh. It also has two very roomy front and rear vestibules, as parts of the fly, that can be completely secured, nearly to ground level. We have never used the light, white nylon doors, which remain rolled and secured at the floor of the tent. We close the mesh to keep out the bugs. We “batten down” the vestibules during windy/stormy weather. We have never suffered condensation. Nor have we ever felt cold or threatened by any storms that occasionally swirl outside. We have been completely satisfied. I remain curious why MEC discontinued this tent.

DSC00472.jpeg

Erica - This link should take you to the Campmor site. I think this may be what you're looking for and it's a lot less $$$...

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

PS - If the link doesn't work, use your favorite search engine to reach the Campmor website and then use their search engine for the Timberline 2. That should get you to where you want to be.

Eureka destroyed their timberline offerings about 10 years ago. For decades, the single wall design was a winner, and the timberline outfitter 6 was my favorite tent. Now they do indeed have a fair amount of internal screen. I bought a new four person timberline two summers ago. One door and screen. Still a good tent, but not one I would use in the fall anymore.

The pics of the two person tent looks like the good old single wall. I wonder if it really is....

That Timberline 2 from Campmor seems to be what I had..Breathable nylon canopy the ad states. Who knows if this is really true?
I believe it could be worth a shot and return it if it does indeed have mesh and not nylon.

I spent several hours checking each and every tent and company suggested here. Thank you all!!!!

While there are many fine tents suggestions, some of them are no longer available or are sold out across many companies. The exped lyra looks great, but costs $700 from american retailers; only $350 from a european retailer (free shipping), but I need the tent essentially now and can't wait for an international shipment. The tadpole is availabe at $550 but it is a single wall tent.

I had no idea I was going to have such a difficult time finding a tent without mesh. That caught me by surprise.

I decided on a Mountain Hardware Outpost 2. Usually $700. On sale now for $350.

Mountain Hardware Outpost II

1688998591640.png
It has two doors, two vestibules (the back one is smaller). Very small mesh vents at the top which can be closed from the inside. The fly is 2000mm, The floor is 4000mm. (We were discussing that in another thread). Weight is just over 5 pounds. Packed size is 7x24 in.

That Timberline 2 from Campmor seems to be what I had..Breathable nylon canopy the ad states. Who knows if this is really true?
I believe it could be worth a shot and return it if it does indeed have mesh and not nylon.
Mine has a nylon canopy, not mesh, and the entry has two layers, the door is mostly mesh but it also functions as a window and can be completely closed. The window on the back can also be completely closed. I do think it meets the OPs criteria.

Maybe too late, but I have found some nice tents at a fraction of their new price on craigslist. I got a nice Timberline 4 for basecamping 5 years ago that was going for $50 but when I got there the guy said I could just have it, since he really just wanted to see it get used by somebody. Last year I picked up a Northface mountain 25 tent for $200 that had never been set up, not even once. Those go for $800 new. The older tents I see are very lightly used.

Mark

edit: just wanted to add that older tents have much more pleasing colors too!

I know for at least a little while after Eureka changed the Timberline design (SQ ?) that Campmor ordered the old design which Eureka produced for them. I know this because our Scout troop ordered 40 or so. We didn't want to change.

The tadpole is availabe at $550 but it is a single wall tent.

uh mine is not. However it is 15 years old and has no mesh at all save the door and has a very generous vestibule.
And it is free.
I paid under 100 at the North Face outlet in Freeport.

I have an older 2-person Marmot Sanctum 3/4 season tent which was discontinued about 15 years ago, matches your requirements, I like it so much that as it finally began to fall apart (UV exposure is killing the fly, I've destroyed the floor due to abuse) I went looking for a backup.

I set up a search on eBay where they do pop up from time to time, lost out on an auction listing a few years ago for a never used one (sad that I didn't bid a bit more), in Spring 2022 another lightly used one showed up which I was able to win at US$225). It was definitely barely used but I was slightly disappointed that it was an earlier version that had some slight differences in the interior pockets (not quite as nice).

If Marmot still made this model I'm sure it would be in the US$600 - US$700 range or more but Marmot like most makers have gone to lower weight (more mesh), thinner fabrics, less beefy zippers etc.

So I suggest you try to find an 15 - 20 year old no longer made tent and search for them online (eBay might be the best).

You can find old online reviews that all rave about this Sanctum model.

I'm still using my old one and bring along tape to patch up the fly as little tears appear due to the UV damage, I'm still keeping the replacement in reserve because I want it to be the last 2 person tent I ever buy.

On many of my trips I use larger tents/shelters, floorless and with floors as my main tent but I still bring the Marmot as well to use when space is an issue or shelter from strong wind is not available.

There doesn't seem to be a Sanctum currently available on eBay but a New With Tags one sold just a couple of weeks ago for US$228

Durston x mid they have a version that is a solid inner meaning less netting. There are many pros for this tent, light weight, inexpensive, designed by Dan durston a equipment tester and experienced traveler. But it is not free standing, luckily he sell poles. I have the one person version and like it alot. When hiking I use my hiking poles, but when canoeing biking or skiing his poles and they are just fine. Hope this helps. Wonder on!

I know you have already purchased a tent, but just for information, the Eureka El Capitan Outfitter version seems to have zip up panels on the screen inside. I have always liked the El Capitan, and if I get a new tent, lol, it will probably be that one.

I have the eureka El Capitan 2+. It’s awesome… can zip up to full fabric inside…saved me last year in the north when I developed Covid in the bush and needed to heat up… it’s 6+ pounds… but super durable and reasonably priced… I paid 225$ new! Last year at Moosejaw.

Attachments

• IMG_3150.jpeg
    IMG_3150.jpeg
    265 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3109.jpeg
    IMG_3109.jpeg
    226.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0250.jpeg
    IMG_0250.jpeg
    246.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0252.jpeg
    IMG_0252.jpeg