• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

New favorite knife!

Reaction score
Had a LT. Wright knife, large workhorse in D2 steel, with orange removeable G10 scales. I replaced them with some sambar stag I had tucked away for years, peened the nickel silver pins and lanyard tube, it's my new favorite knife. Show us the knife you take tripping, whether it's a $10 kitchen knife, custom, etc......

Attachments

• photo15150.jpg
    photo15150.jpg
    785.2 KB · Views: 8
This is a "trade" knife called a metis that at just over six inches I carry as a neck knife. Besides it being easy to sharpen and having a pleasing shape to me it has an engraving of a birch bark canoe on the blade, that I was unaware of when I bought it.

Attachments

• photo7358.jpg
    photo7358.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 2
I have the cheapo Canadian Tire version of that Robin...goes with me every trip too.

When I’m going lightweight and don’t have an axe I bring a larger knife to split kindling. Otherwise just a small folder. I prefer stainless since it is bound to get wet.

D8E6A6BC-451A-4622-B418-E642BC221770.jpeg

I carry the Slimeline Trapper from Case all the time. From cleaning small game and fish to opening mail. Its probably not robust enough for camp knife. I have always wanted a handmade puukko knife to carry. They look like a well all around knife.

I invariably bring my EDC folder, one of two Gomboy folding saws, and one of two hatchets, depending how big the logs and fire I anticipate, as well as how long the portages may be as the larger hatchet is a fine splitter but is a bit of a beast.

20200423_140101.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	20200423_140101.jpg Views:	0 Size:	695.7 KB ID:	108962

Set up for big split log bonfires and lotsa marshmallows:

20200423_135902.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	20200423_135902.jpg Views:	0 Size:	738.3 KB ID:	108963

Set up for smaller more contained fires, solo trips and long portages. Still gets the job done.

20200423_140002.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	20200423_140002.jpg Views:	0 Size:	354.6 KB ID:	108964

My EDC folder is a Benchmade Mini-Griptilian lock & chassis with a Josh Ritter blade and Wilkins titanium scales. It basically lives in my pocket and has earned its place. I've found no reason to swap it out for anything on a river trip.

20200423_140101.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	20200423_140101.jpg Views:	0 Size:	695.7 KB ID:	108962

Now don't be calling me compulsive! I just like having the right tool for the task at hand, and fine tools at that. A long life of working hard does indeed have its material rewards.

Monel

Moved over to 2 Barkrivers for most of my needs.

Ultralite bushcrafter in elmax for most camp tasks and a mini kalahari sportsman in cpm 154 for fish and kitchen duty.

Attachments

• photo15204.jpg
    photo15204.jpg
    629.4 KB · Views: 7
  • photo15205.jpg
    photo15205.jpg
    537.7 KB · Views: 7
Just make sure it's single blade, double paddle is frowned upon here, if you've been following! Doug, you've been a great overseerer, hope you keep at it!

Hey, you sheath knife guys need to get with the times. A folder is so much more efficient, especially at a windy campsite. ;)

[I agree that Doug is doing a great job keeping us rogues productive.]

We each carry a liner lock folder which are lookalikes to the Robin's Schrade. I've grown fond of them. I've tied a small length of flagging tape to each as an easy to spot lanyard. Likewise another easy to spot knife is our Mora Companion, a garishly green camp knife, which mostly spends time in it's plastic sheath. A filleting knife my son built for me (he started with the purchased blade) comes along in it's leather sheath he also made. Looks like I'll have to start catching fish. No pressure Dad.

38517988144_cfdd5416f0.jpg

United Boker canoe knife. Carbon steel which rusts but sharpens like a charm. I mostly open food bags and cut rope with it. Never seem to have much need for a knife otherwise.

Lost my Case Canoe knife mulching my landscaping the other day. I'm devastated. Carried for 10 years. The one before I had over 20 years. Donated that one to the TSA. I've torn out the mulch and underlaying cloth twice. Probably find it once it's a hunk of rust.

Oh yeah, I have Barkies, a handmade KOA, and several other knives of various quality, utility. My absolute favorite tripping knife is my Idaho Knife Works Cliff Knife. It's light, sharp, and beautiful. I had a new sheath made that hangs lower on the belt, an improvement for comfort with a PFD, portage pack, in a canoe. Can't take a photo right now because my Iphone is sleeping in rice.

Last edited:
I too like the handiness of a sheath knife, but want to strongly recommend that you have it in s sheath that the blade can't cut through in a fall. Serious injury and even deaths have happened that way. You can sometimes buy such sheaths, or you can line your leather one with a steel insert on the blade side. Also a sheath that swings freely pivots out of the way better. IHS,Turtle

I too like the handiness of a sheath knife, but want to strongly recommend that you have it in s sheath that the blade can't cut through in a fall. Serious injury and even deaths have happened that way. You can sometimes buy such sheaths, or you can line your leather one with a steel insert on the blade side. Also a sheath that swings freely pivots out of the way better. IHS,Turtle

Don’t 100% agree but there is certainly a chance, never heard it happen to anyone I know or experienced it my self... that said I much prefer a dangling type sheath with a rigid liner!!
this in the picture is becoming my favorite knife, I got it used and at a good price, the blade is laminated carbon steel, it is a bit on the long side for my liking but really good to field dress a moose!! It is light, super comfy, beautiful and sharp!! Some will say that the knife doesn’t have a finger guard but to every one that had the chance to use Scandinavian style knives know that the way the handle is shaped and if you are holding the knife properly there is almost(I never had one slip) no chances of slippage even with your hands covered in blood!

Attachments

• photo15272.jpg
    photo15272.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 2
  • photo15271.jpg
    photo15271.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 2
  • photo15273.jpg
    photo15273.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Don’t 100% agree but there is certainly a chance, never heard it happen to anyone I know or experienced it my self... that said I much prefer a dangling type sheath with a rigid liner!!
this in the picture is becoming my favorite knife, I got it used and at a good price, the blade is laminated carbon steel, it is a bit on the long side for my liking but really good to field dress a moose!! It is light, super comfy, beautiful and sharp!! Some will say that the knife doesn’t have a finger guard but to every one that had the chance to use Scandinavian style knives know that the way the handle is shaped and if you are holding the knife properly there is almost(I never had one slip) no chances of slippage even with your hands covered in blood!

If you are a fan of puukko style knives take a look at Lamnia.com , mind boggling selection of Nordic knives. I think I prefer the sub 100mm blades

Around the water, Mora fishing knives made in Sweden. They have a plastic handle and plastic sheath and fit right on the lifejacket.
Find them at commercial fishing stores.

Back