• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Knife project

What a great looking Knife. Very impressive craftsmanship, that's a knife a tripper would be happy to carry. Thanks for taking the extra time to document the build, your knowledge and humor is fun to follow and it keeps the site on the "cutting" edge.:rolleyes:

Wow, really, really nice!!
So what happened that you don't do this for a living??
Or will it be a sideline and supplemental income in a few years?

Wow, really, really nice!!
So what happened that you don't do this for a living??
Or will it be a sideline and supplemental income in a few years?

My day job pays better. Hopefully it will be some supplemental income in retirement. At any rate it will be something to do so I don't go crazier. Dave

Hopefully it will be some supplemental income in retirement. At any rate it will be something to do so I don't go crazier. Dave

Dave, looking at the professionalism and, dare I say, expertise of your knife craftsmanship I have to ask; how long have you been making knives and how many have you made?

Last edited:
Dave, looking at the professionalism and, dare I say, expertise of your knife craftsmanship I have to ask; how long have you been making knives and how many have you made?

Mike, I started making knives in 1989. I stamp running SN's on my sheath knives. I have finished knife number 319. Stabby's serial number is 307 because he is part of a three knife set I started for myself a few years ago (I reserved three consecutive SN's when I started the set). In addition to sheath knives I have made 28 folding knives over the years. Dave

Wow, 319! That's amazing! You must have some pretty cool stories to go with some of those knives. Would you ever tell one on line, or would you reserve it for a campfire story?

Regarding "mushrooming" of handle bolts:

Have you considered Corby bolts Dave? http://usaknifemaker.com/corby-bolt-....html?___SID=U

From the Gough website http://goughcustom.com/blog/2014-01-15-testing-handle-attachment/testing-handle-attachment.html

I have never made a knife, and I defer to you and your beautiful work. These bolts were mentioned on Aaron Gough's knife site, and look to my eye to be a great alternative to peening rods.

Jim
Jim, I use Corby bolts to fasten knife scales (handle materials) to full tang knives and it is a stronger joint than pinning handle wood in place. Stabby is a hidden tang knife and there was no pinning of the wood it's self. The wood slides over the tang and is held in place by the bolster. The "pinning" I did on Stabby was to pin the finger guard and bolster in place. Hope this makes sense. Dave

Wow, 319! That's amazing! You must have some pretty cool stories to go with some of those knives. Would you ever tell one on line, or would you reserve it for a campfire story?

Mem, if I had a cool story to tell I would tell it but nothing really comes to mind. I guess there was the 6" combat knife I made for my nephew. He was a Army Airborne Ranger and did four tours in Afghanistan. I told him when I gave it to him that if he ever used it I did not want to hear any gory details. Lately being curious I recently asked him if he found any use for the knife while deployed and he just looked at me funny. I guess he was using better judgement then me. After a minute or so he came up with a story he could tell me. He told of making a ammo run under fire in which he used the knife to cut the webbing lose that secured the ammo boxes. I guess that's all I'm going to know about the one combat knife I made. At least he didn't leave it in anybody, it had my name stamped on it. Dave

Tonight I started the sheath for Stabby Joe. I cut out some 8 ounce "brain tanned" leather and tooled the front piece. I had to get it wet to tool it. Your supposed to use a wooden mallet to strike the leather tool but I like a ball peen hammer better. It lets it know that I mean business. I don't usually do the basket weave thing but Stabby said He wanted some nice cloths to wear. I am going to dye everything black to match the handle. Dave

10422909_964928543541666_8032837086863664926_n.jpg

Got the pieces dyed black. I will glue them together with contact cement to hold them in place while I sew them. I learned the hard way to dye the leather first before gluing. Any place that the glue soaks into on the edge will not take the dye. Got a keeper strap riveted to the front piece. I will trim it to length later. The front piece is marked for stitching. To make it easier to sew I will drill holes for the stitches on the drill press. I chuck up a 3/32" drill and run it wide open. After stitching I will apply some atom wax to the leather and it should look good.

10383953_966262113408309_8781053084792366438_n.jpg

Stabby Joe is done just in time to wear to church tomorrow. Dave

10968334_966262083408312_5814154057928752193_n.jpg

You see, that's what I like about Iowans. We have enough discretion to draw the blinds when engaging in such foolishness so as not to alarm the neighbors. Not like that fool Glenn pictured wearing armor and brandishing a shield and sarissa in the neighborhood park in broad daylight. That's the kind of people that keep small town midwesterners in small midwestern towns.

Alan

Great. That's all I need now. I've barely begun my blade buying orgy, and now I hafta think about another one to go with my Sunday best! Hmmm. Fixed blade or folder? Stainless or carbon? Dangler sheath or belt? Drop point or ...And usually I just struggle with picking a tie. You Iowans sure live life large.

You see, that's what I like about Iowans. We have enough discretion to draw the blinds when engaging in such foolishness so as not to alarm the neighbors. Not like that fool Glenn pictured wearing armor and brandishing a shield and sarissa in the neighborhood park in broad daylight. That's the kind of people that keep small town midwesterners in small midwestern towns.

Alan

Another classic from Alan. I Love it. So glad you showed up here at Canoetripping.

Great. That's all I need now. I've barely begun my blade buying orgy, and now I hafta think about another one to go with my Sunday best! Hmmm. Fixed blade or folder? Stainless or carbon? Dangler sheath or belt? Drop point or ...And usually I just struggle with picking a tie. You Iowans sure live life large.

Brad, I would like to help you in your search for the right Sunday best knife. When worn for fashion over function, the sheath needs to compliment the knife. May I suggest a Nordic style knife with a curly birch handle in an ornate dangler sheath. Go with carbon steel and lightly oil it Saturday night when you shine your shoes. I would get his and hers knives so you match the mrs.

Evidently Norwegians used to wear knives to church. I have read about a tradition that when a young women was ready to marry she would remove her knife from it's sheath. Then her father would parade her around the church announcing "My daughter wants to marry,,,,,my daughter wants to marry". A interested prospective young man would take his knife out of his sheath and drop it in her sheath to signal his proposal. No I'm not kidding.

Back