• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Knife project

Evidently Norwegians used to wear knives to church. I have read about a tradition that when a young women was ready to marry she would remove her knife from it's sheath. Then her father would parade her around the church announcing "My daughter wants to marry,,,,,my daughter wants to marry". A interested prospective young man would take his knife out of his sheath and drop it in her sheath to signal his proposal. No I'm not kidding.

That was great. Started my day off right with a good belly laugh.

Alan

Brad, I would like to help you in your search for the right Sunday best knife. When worn for fashion over function, the sheath needs to compliment the knife. May I suggest a Nordic style knife with a curly birch handle in an ornate dangler sheath. Go with carbon steel and lightly oil it Saturday night when you shine your shoes. I would get his and hers knives so you match the mrs.

Evidently Norwegians used to wear knives to church. I have read about a tradition that when a young women was ready to marry she would remove her knife from it's sheath. Then her father would parade her around the church announcing "My daughter wants to marry,,,,,my daughter wants to marry". A interested prospective young man would take his knife out of his sheath and drop it in her sheath to signal his proposal. No I'm not kidding.

I like that, the type of knife, and the type of proposal!!

Mem asked earlier if I would baton with Stabby and the answer is yes. Just to satisfy my curiosity and because I got bored on my trip I decided to try it. I was camped in a camp ground and the Forest Service had cut several trees. The test piece was green wood about 3" in diameter by 18" long. While batoning certainly works fine, Stabby will not replace my forest axe in my travels. In fact Stabby will probably stay home next trip (unless I'm feeling stabby) as most of my cutting tasks can be accomplished with a pocket knife.

11182094_1011406485560538_4102310762775860411_n.jpg

Stabby did fine and suffered no ill affects during batoning.

11210435_1011406472227206_5603529642582926851_n.jpg

Poor Stabby, he shouldn't be subjected to such indignities! Kind of like making Milla Jovovich do the dishes!

Hey big boy this was your idea in the first place. It was kinda fun playing with Stabby anyway.
Stabby is by the way both rugged and good looking, just like his owner.

Last edited:
Back