• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

Adding retention and waterproofing to fixed blade knife sheath

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In this previous thread, I expressed concern about my expensive Bark River Canadian LT fixed blade knife falling out of its sheath in a spill on water or land, and whether a Kydex sheath would be better for retention and waterproofness. I decided to enhance the knife retention of my leather sheath and make it more waterproof. I'll show what I did.

First, I decided to waterproof the sheath using Montana Pitch Blend, which contains pine pitch, beeswax, and mink oil and can be bought in a 3 oz. old-time tin. Other brands that are favorably reviewed are Obenauf's (beeswax, bee propolis, unnamed natural oils), Huberds's Shoe Grease (pine pitch and beeswax), and Sno-Seal (beeswax, unnamed animal oils, mineral spirits). The Montana Pitch Blend melts in the body heat of your fingers and goes on sheaths and footwear very smoothly by hand. It also has a pleasant piney odor.

Montana_Pitch_Blend_60.jpg

Next, I added a dangler to the sheath to reduce the possibility that the sheath will get turned upside down in a spill, and simply because I prefer them for a fixed blade belt knife. I decided on the Casstrom No. 3 dangler with black leather and brass carabiner clip. I could have gotten a less expensive dangler from JRE Industries (but watch out for $7+ shipping) plus a cheap split D-ring from Home Depot, but I liked the idea of the carabiner for ease of attach/detach and for other possible canoe camp uses.

Casstrom_Dangler_1_40.jpg

Finally, I added extra retention to my sheath by a simple use of 1/8" shock cord, an idea I got from this video. I decided to look for black reflective shock cord for nighttime visibility, since the sheath and dangler are black. I could only find that particular shock cord in a minimum length of 10 feet for $10, so I got 20 feet for $11.

Reflective shock cord in light.jpg

Here's what the shock cord looks like in the dark illuminated by a flash.

Reflective shock cord in dark.jpg

Experimenting with different ways to attach the shock cord to the knife, I had to learn how to tie a snake knot. I settled on one knot by the handle and a double knot with grab tails at the end of the attachment loop.

BR Canadian 1.jpg

To enhance sheath retention, simply loop the shock cord under the fire steel loop. There are different ways to do this, and the grab tails can be looped in front of the sheath or in back.

BR Canadian 2.jpg

Here's a look at the back of the sheath and dangler with the shock cord looped.

BR Canadian 3.jpg

Lastly, here's how the shock cord retention loops looks under flash illumination.

BR Canadian 4.jpg

This small project required no tools, just a credit card and fingers. I now have complete confidence that my expensive knife is completely secure and won't fall out if the sheath is upside down in the water or tumbling down a portage hill.

Now all you have to worry about is losing the fire steel, then the knife.
A old Nordic proverb, "A knifeless man is a lifeless man."
Of the knives I seen on this site other than a hand forged Puukko from Finland, this is one I would want on my belt.

Last edited:
Now all you have to worry about is losing the fire steel, then the knife.

Most small fire steels have a cord hole in the top and can be secured with shock cord or paracord to the leather insertion loop the same way I've attached the knife.

Firesteel with paracord.jpg

If I did that, the fire steel shock cord would go on first and then the knife retention cord. I haven't done it on that sheath because that particular fire steel is very tight and won't budge until it narrows with use or the leather loop expands.

Back