• Happy Scream Day! 😱

New Custom Canvas Tent Maker - Ontario

Reaction score
Wanted to let the canoe tripping community know of a new canvas tent business based out of the small Northern Ontario town of Timmins.

SewnHome has a facebook page with photos of their creations including baker style and wall tents. I contacted the owner, David, for a custom mini wall tent similar to Robin's sweet shelter and got a very reasonable quote. Might be helpful given the favourable/unfavourable US/CND dollar exchange rate depending on which side of the border you live.

I was wondering about the size of your future mini wall tent (length, width, height at center and wall height)? I would be interested in what the reasonable quote was also. I am not in the market for a wall tent, as I have two already, but I have a friend that visits me once or twice a year, from Sweden that is enamored by the ones I have. Thinking if he was interested I could order one for him. I don't use Facebook or I would contact Sewn Home myself. I enjoy reading your blog, especially the one story on the use of the tumpline and tarp to make the pack cloth roll, I have always wondered how that was done.
Thank you,
BB

I hope they do well. I'm not looking for a tent but I'll contact them for more info.

I really enjoy my small wall tent for shoulder season camping out of a canoe with a small wood stove. My tent is still set up from last weeks little backyard camp out with coldfeet and the boys. The temps are dropping in the next couple of days to down below zero and I want to see how the tent/stove works in those conditions.

Future canoetripping.net wall tent camper

14980765_1867996930101513_4901788450840759943_n.jpg

Robin, that photo sure is a cute one. There's mini and then there's extra mini

BB, I don't have a facebook account either but their email is on the main page. It's also on their new up and coming website (sewnhome.ca).

As for design, I pretty much copied Robin's 6 foot wide by 7 foot long cut down solo tent. 3 foot walls but with a height of 5 feet. Don't intend to ever use it hardcore winter camping but wanted it for the rainy & chilly shoulder season. Robin made his look so comfortable in there! Material was the 10oz Sunforger stuff that's fire & mildew retardant but I understand that Sewn Home can make it with a slightly heavier but cheaper non-fire retardant option now.

I'm meeting someone in January who has a self made 8'x8'x6' tent to get a feel for the size and see if I want to upsize before committing.

Bit confused by the non-fire retardant bit on the Facebook page. Tents sold in Canada MUST be fire-retardant. They have to be made from an approved fire-retardant fabric such as the Sunforger FR or be submitted for testing.

I was recently looking to by a silnylon tent from the USA and could not because it wasn't. I couldn't even get it shipped to MN because they have the same regs although somehow our Hilleberg got through previously.

I "chated" with the owner on Face Book, their website has been delayed till Feb something about a Gov Grant, also Kanguk tents is now Artic Fox,

https://www.canadianoutdoorequipment.com/arctic-fox-tents.html (I'm not sure if this is new info or common knowledge)

Looks like they (Sewn Home) is looking to develop a Snowtreeker type tent with cheaper and better frame. They are getting alot of inquires and even have a metal shop to build the frames.
I mentioned how wall tents here in the states need an interior frame as depending on finding suitible poles or even stringing a ridge line can be problematic at times.
They where interested in the angle kit and I gave her some leads, there is a small company on ebay who sells a 6 piece angle kit that is cheap and looks solid, not sure if the angle is correct for Sewn Home wall tents, something to find out.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-piece-Out...4e1a013&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=322351822251

Hello, Bonjour, She:kon, Aniin, Wachay!

I'm the Owner/Operator at Sewn Home, just wanted to drop in to greet everyone here.

I've been avid canoeist and back country tripper for most of my life, have worked as a guide in Algonquin Park as well as Banff National Park and also worked for a few years at the Canoe Museum in Peterborough ON. I have also been a military re-enactor for the majority of my life and all of these experiences have included multitudes of canvas tents. After sweating in a canvas goods factory for several years, I decided to mash all this experience together and start Sewn Home.

I've been absolutely touched by all the wonderful responses I've had so far and am so thrilled to be able to work with so many friendly and like-minded niche communities. When Robin and Murat mentioned this board, I wanted to take some time to post here and say thanks!

Sewn Home was born this past summer and I'll mention that the extent of our capabilities has not been reached, I am constantly researching and developing new ideas that will take some time before becoming standard products. In my first months of business, pretty much all of my tents have been custom pieces, In the following year, I am hoping to have a list of standard tents to choose from as I know the daunting task of trying to think-out and design the perfect tent doesn't appeal to everyone! In the mean time, I love to make my customers happy and would love to hear anyone's crazy ideas.

Thank you!

David

Bit confused by the non-fire retardant bit on the Facebook page. Tents sold in Canada MUST be fire-retardant. They have to be made from an approved fire-retardant fabric such as the Sunforger FR or be submitted for testing.

I was recently looking to by a silnylon tent from the USA and could not because it wasn't. I couldn't even get it shipped to MN because they have the same regs although somehow our Hilleberg got through previously.

In truth, CPAI-84 rating does not negate testing, all materials must be tested period in order to be concurrent with federal guidelines. Every tent that I sell follows federal standard for tentage. I also sell items that do not qualify as tents.....

David, Welcome and thank you for the offering, it is always good to have more choices in Canada.
Cheers
David

Last edited:
Back