• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Canvas tent ponderings

Ok, so I did it. First day out of my cast, so that might account for my financial friskiness. I ordered the Atuk Kanguk, 12 x 12. Hope to use it May Long weekend when walleye season opens. Not walking yet, but this will give me some added initiative to get my foot working quickly.

Good for you Mem. And if you don't like it, I'll send you a check for the same price i got those canvas pack from you:rolleyes:.... Just kidding.

Can't wait to see how you like it!!

Cheers

Ok, so I did it. First day out of my cast, so that might account for my financial friskiness. I ordered the Atuk Kanguk, 12 x 12. Hope to use it May Long weekend when walleye season opens. Not walking yet, but this will give me some added initiative to get my foot working quickly.

Now that you have ordered a canvas wall tent and will be hot-stoving, you just KNOW it will be 80 degrees on the May long weekend.

So now I'm looking forward to a May 24 trip report of good fishing and hot tenting. Nice one Mem.

I just made arrangements to buy my brother's 18 foot Sioux tipi. He is coming down from Oregon for the Genoa Cowboy Festival in early May and will be able to deliver it. I have had one tipi, but it had rough handling and finally rotted out. There is something about tipis that stirs the imagination of people.
They are traditionally set up with the door facing east, four wraps around the nest of poles at the top and are asymmetrical in shape. I like to watch the moon rise through the smoke hole. I will chose a date for a big party when the moon is full and rising in the evening.

I certainly would like to attend that tipi party! I had thought about making a big one out of tarps this year for the back yard, but decided on the big wall tent.

Gerrit

It looks to me, those tents would be a canoe full !

Cool and spacious.

Jim

I did the first set up on my Atuk Kanguk tent last night. There is a little bit of a learning curve to get a perfect pitch. Secong pic shows my new stove too, a Knico packer, still waiting for my pipe to come in, entire set up should be ready for the fall moose hunt, middle of October.

Alot of guys over on the WT Forum speak very highly of the Kanguk tent and it's ease of set up, high quality, light weight and more... good luck with it. Did you source your own pole or buy one from Atuk? At some point I will have to winterize my ctr pole Mtn Hardware hoop style tipi as well...good stove you got!

"entire set up should be ready for the fall moose hunt, middle of October."

Looks a little too cozy to me! I just don't see you jumping out into the northern Ontario cold at O Dark thirty to look for a moose...no I see slab bacon and guys in lawn chairs around that stove.

I had the auto teacher at school make the pole for me...it's a two piece aluminium type deal with multiple holes so that the height can be adjusted a fair bit. First saw the tent over at winter trekking. It's definitely not as easy to set up as a snowtrekker, and not sure how it will do if i can't put pegs in to hold the bottom down. I'm running a school canoe trip with 25 kids next weekend, if it's cold enough, I'll bring it, if not I'll be trying it out in October.

I had the auto teacher at school make the pole for me...it's a two piece aluminium type deal with multiple holes so that the height can be adjusted a fair bit. First saw the tent over at winter trekking. It's definitely not as easy to set up as a snowtrekker, and not sure how it will do if i can't put pegs in to hold the bottom down. I'm running a school canoe trip with 25 kids next weekend, if it's cold enough, I'll bring it, if not I'll be trying it out in October.
I have two ctr pole tipi types (no side walls though) and find that each time I put it up I have to fiddle a bit with the height (sometimes even if I am back at the same site as before...getting old and feeble to figure out why?!) and the stake out in snow is to dig out enough snow for the tent body and at each stake out to get down and bang long stakes into the ground - or set up a deadman system in the snow (and also pour a bit of water over it if you can to help set up faster) with sticks, stakes or similar (I use homemade aluminum snow anchors) and let it harden up over 30-minutes to an hour if you can. Other's I have camped with or read about seem to have magic that I don't on that particular skill set...:eek:

Memaquay; I use 8" landscaping spikes for pegs, they hold so well that I sometimes need to pour hot water on them to get them out. If the snow's real deep I use nylon bags (about12"x12") stuff a few handfuls of snow in them and bury them.

Nice looking tent memaquay.
I imagine in October you'd just guy out to rocks? (You won't have snow by then, will you?) How much does this tent weigh?
Looks pretty light but solid.

Last edited:
Hey Griz, that nylon bag trick sounds pretty slick! I'm going to take 8 inch spikes with me when i go moose hunting, not sure what the terrain will be like where I camp. Odyssey, if it's rocky, I will have to try using some big rocks for the five basic tent anchors. My stove pipe came in tonight, so this weekend I'll do a pre burn of the stove and pipe. Southcove, I'm hoping to rig up a rope trick for the guy out lines, where I just stretch a rope all the way around the tent at wall level and tie off to the rope. Nine guy out lines will be a lot of friggin around in the snow. Anyway, hopefully I'll get all the bugs out this winter.

Gerrit

It looks to me, those tents would be a canoe full !

Cool and spacious.

Jim

Jim, not really a canoe full. A Tentipi with 5,3m diameter and 3,1m height weights around 14kg in polycotton.
Sure, compared to a lightweight plastic tent this is a lot - but being able to use a tent stove to get the moisture out is well worth it.
Going for a trip with lots of portages though, I would think twice, too...

Gerrit

Back