• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Canvas tent ponderings

Memaquay,
The Baker does have a smoke hole. It was made by Panther Primitives. In cold weather, with the flap down it seems a little snug for 2 unless you are in love with the person you are camping with. I have used old tipi liners for the front and two sides with the flap extended. It leaks some air and is not nearly as warm as a wall tent in temperatures below about 25 degrees F. It is convertible however for warm weather and I love being able to see out. It is really good in the rain.

modtent.jpg

CI-Africa-Bushcamp-Zungulila_bedroom-tent-fabbric-outdoor-canvas_s4x3.jpg.rend.hgtvcom.1280.960.jpeg

Yes, Glamping, or as I understand it, Glamour Camping. I like. My wife wants me to go to some foreign place where the temperature is in the 80's and the whitest members of the caucasian tribe congregate during the winter months to breaks records for alcohol abuse. Maybe I can convince her to go Glamping instead.

You boy's might want to have a care with your "Glamping"; That tent Glenn's found sure looks nice but ISIS is going to move in next week and as I understand it they're not all that good at tolerance or sharing.

Rob

Nice tent Glenn, pass the hookah.
I love the look, the feel, the smell of canvas tents; just not the cost and the weight. I'm not knocking them. I've always imagined tripping with one, but that has always stayed in the realm of fantasy...so far. Show us what you buy memaquay. I'm looking forward to the first trip report with the new canvas.
A funny thing happened last night. On my way home from work yesterday I stopped off at a farm supply store. I found a deal on a cotton duck coat. $40. I brought it home and gave it a spray with Scotch Guard Fabric Waterproofing. I just gave it a respray now. Anyway, I hung it up in the office/spare bedroom in the basement to dry and air out. My wife wandered in to use the office printer and noticed the coat. That's not all she noticed. As I was explaining how great it'd be to have a comfortable coat with some water resistance, she leaned forward and said "What's that smell?" I suggested that maybe the spray I'd used was still a bit strong, but once aired out it'd be okay. She leaned a little closer to my coat and wrinkled her nose "It smells like, like...an old canvas tent. Eewwww." After she left the room I gave the coat a sniff and thought "Yeah, it does smell pretty good."

I've got a Filson Tin Cloth jacket, a friend gave it to me, never would have bought it, cause it's around 400 bucks. It certainly does stink, and it holds the water inside the jacket really well. Apparently I have to re-wax it to restore water proofness to it. Think I will attempt to wash it before I wax it. It stays in the backroom closet due to its' olfactory qualities. It does look really cool though, is heavy duty, and a great hunting jacket.

Memaquay - Just curious if you've ever considered one of the nylon tipi hot tent designs that are out there? They are a lot less weight and pack up pretty small. While I still would love to get a Snowtrekker, for the time being I have a Seek Outside 8 person tipi with their XL titanium stove. Total weight for the stove and tent is about 15 pounds. The tent can be folded (or stuffed) in a nylon sack that's about the size of a 2 person Eureka "Timberline" tent. The stove can be taken apart and stores in a nylon case (which is provided) and is probably no more than about 16" long by 10" wide. It's all pretty compact and very lightweight. I'd never set up a tipi like this before but after a couple of times you get to know the quirks and it's not bad. I set mine up last weekend in about 15 minutes by myself and had some snow that evening without any sagging, etc. All in all, it's a nice set up and no where near the money or weight.

That's all for now. Take care, good luck with your purchase and until next time...be well.

snapper

PS - With the stove my "8 person" tent is really suited for 4 in the winter.

Nice insights Snapper! I had looked at quite a few of those light weight options, but not that particular tent. Just yesterday, I watched a youtube video showing a guy putting together one of those fold up titanium stoves with the roll up chimney too. Pretty impressive technology! I was leaning that way, but I still like the idea of canvas for winter stuff, and I already have a stove that would probably negate any weight advantage. I'm still waiting for a couple more reviews of the Atuk Kanguk, still leaning that way.

Memaquay - Best of luck in whatever shelter you chose. I guess the most important part of it all is that we get out there and enjoy being in the woods. Whether we're in a nylon tipi or traditional canvas wall tent, it's pretty much immaterial as long as we're able to be out. I moved into this direction because as I continue to age (how the heck did I get to be 62?!?) I was looking to continue winter camping but without those nights of -30 F temperatures. At least now I have the option; as will you soon enough.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Memaquay,
Filsons go back in family 3 generations. I have worn out several tin cloth jackets and pants. Do not wash them. I have never had problems with odor. If yours smells bad, hang it over a slow fire of some wood you like. I would use red alder or maybe fruit wood from the yard. I have a wool Filson cruiser my Dad gave me in the 1970s when I graduated from Forestry School. It is the Alaskan Tuxedo and I still wear it.

The whole concept of glam camping is really odd. It is what many urbanites that know nothing about the outdoors aspire to. It harkens back to the early days of traveling in Africa when people went on safari for a month or two with servants and cases of champagne. Sure you can stay in a tipi outside Aspen with fancy food and Hudson Bay blankets, but it might cost you $500 a night. If I am going to spend big money for a hotel, which rarely happens, make it the Drake in Chicago or the Fairmont in San Francisco. In the bush deluxe means good food, good friends, furniture and a wood stove.

I admit to liking glam camping on a kayak tour in Belize. Kind of depends on where you are. Also have done it in St. John. USVI. Nice family vacation in the tropics without the walls and bugs

Wasn't fancy but ran about 125 a night. Those Western prices are insane. So is Aspen. Do real people live there?

I have seem marquee tent set ups at rendezvous nearly this luxurious. They take all day to set up and take down.
Turtle

ppine; different strokes for different folks! to me this is no different than people who go out and blow $100,000 on a travel trailer, they still want to get out, but want the comforts of home. The important thing is that they're getting out there!

Turtle - You mentioned rendezvous and I partake in 17th/18th century re-enacting but to your point; what I love about my persona is I stay under a 10'x10' oilcloth which can be set up in about 10-15 minutes. I've been to lots of events where folks roll in with large trailers. The set up they have makes it look like they're actually moving in. A couple of years ago we watched as this guy took 8 hours to set up his tent, four poster bed, rugs, etc. Of course, we were all in the shade of the oilcloth enjoying period correct libations while he was out sweating in the sun. None of us questioned our lower class persona at that point :)

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Snapper,
I see your from CNY,we are from WNY. If you attend Northeasterns, I may have seen you there. When my wife and I go to rendezvous for several days we stay in a 10X8 wall tent with fly, big enough for luxury but small enough to set up in an hr.. When I go alone I usually take my 12X12 diamond. Treking I use a 5X8 fly made from a Canvaced bedsheet for lightness.
Turtle

Re-enactments are tons of fun. In the West, it almost always means the Fur Trade before 1840. I put together a Voyageur outfit also for variety. I use the wall tent or Baker tent. They are not entirely period correct but passable.

I do 1750-1790 or so.Always wanted a birch bark canoe to do it right on the water, but as I said I never have combined living history and canoeing.
Turtle

Don't know anything about canvas tents but thought some of you might find it interesting. Came up for sale over on BWCA.com. Sounds like he started with a large standard tent that was mesh with a rain fly and replaced all the mesh with canvas. Result is a freestanding canvas tent with nylon rain fly and vestibule that can be added over the top if desired.

http://bwca.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=forum.thread&threadId=827067&forumID=133&confID=1

Alan

Back