• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Marshall Lake video Trip Report

Reaction score
I posted a video on Youtube of my solo trip to Northern Ontario, Marshall Lake 100 mile circuit. It was fun setting up the scenes, I learned alot and ran out of card space 1/2 way thru the trip even with two fully charged spare batteries. Live and learn, hope you enjoy my first attempt at video on the trail.

http://youtu.be/fTT3tQsGrnI

The video sure adds to the trip report! That looks great! I will have to try some of that now that I have a new computer. How big a memory card were you using?

What a great add-on to the printed trip report! I'm only sorry it was so short, I could have watched for hours. Don't know if you'd care to do it or not but I was wishing you'd talk about what you were doing and all.
I know that you're primarily a solo guy but maybe once you're famous you could hire that cute French-Canadian gal to run the camera!

Thanks for taking us along, Rob

Great stuff Robin! Really enjoyed the footage and your captions add an informative touch. I eventually learned to use a larger memory card too. When filming solo, a lot of digital space on the card is used up once you hit record and then have to paddle out and back to pick up the camera again. Hope you'll take the GoPro along with all your trips so we can all enjoy seeing your Chestnuts in action

Absolutely fantastic. It felt like I was sitting in camp with you. That footage of catching a walleye was amazing! I'm guessing you clamped the camera on thwarts in the canoe, and on a tripod on the trail? Warning! My son-in-law didn't clamp his GoPro well enough and discovered those cameras don't float!
Thanks Robin. Awesome video.

Last edited:
Nice work! I've got a Go Pro now too, kind of itching to try it out. It was good to see that area, can't wait to get up there again this June!

Thanks all, I used a 16 gb card, but for a solo tripper that's too small, I'm getting a 32 gb and that should work, but I might even go for the 64 gb. I ran out of space on the 16 on the 3rd day, but I also wasted alot of space on boring shoots. I really enjoyed thinking about and setting up the shots while on the trip, really does add a new dimension to tripping. I had bought two extra batteries but never had the chance to use them, so I do have some more testing to see how they hold up. Lots of time spent editing, it took a while to learn that and I have a new respect for all those great video's you see out there.

As far as narrating, I grew up on L:cool:ng Island, NY and retain most of the LI accent, nothing wrong with it, just doesn't quiet fit the boreal like HOOP's great narration.

About losing the camera over the side, a few years ago my friend Gerald gave me a nice lanyard (about 48"s long) which can be quickly attached to a thwart via Velcro and the other end was strapped to the cameras little flexible tripod. It was great for piece of mind.

Robin - Thanks so much for taking us along on this adventure. And don't worry about not getting the lesson regarding pushing off with your paddle, I'd love to have you with my students out canoeing any day! In fact, I'm bookmarking your video so I can show it on a day where the weather prevents us from getting out on the water. I want them to see what is ahead of them should they really get out there and enjoy the benefits of canoeing.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

Taking the time to film and then edit I'm in such awe over. I take still photos and to be honest I'd rather not even bring along the point and shoot. To see the effort Hoop goes through amongst others is astonishing. Watching the camera gear that canoe guitar and his pal were lugging around also blew me away. Nice work but don't be going to 8mm to match the rest of the gear.

What a great watch. The simplicity of the trip without voice or music really adds to it for me, really lets the canoe, the wilderness and the experiance shine. Well done and thank you.

That was great Robin. Thanks.
Blueberry pancakes for breakfast. Can never eat enough of them on a trip.
I see you are still pretty nimble young man. I wish you at lot more of those trips and keep the reports coming.
Gerald

Great job with the video, Robin! I suppose you have to allow 10 days for a 9 day trip so you have time to go back and retrieve the camera on the "here I am paddling away" shots. :)

Right Dave, good thing I ran out of space on my card on the 3rd day or I would still be out there setting up shots. It was fun, really enjoyed that part of the trip.

Nice video. Making it added to the trip's complexity I'm sure.

Thank you for the extra effort and sharing with us.

NICE trip! Looks like great paddling country. I second the value of the Cold Handle Pans. We used them for the first time on our trip last weekend.

Really enjoyed the video. Didn't realize blazing the tree like you did is a rapids warning. Thanks for the tip! I learn something new every time I scroll around this site. Can't wait to show my family your YouTube video tonight.

Blazing a tree is usually not a warning that there are rapids, but an indication that there is a portage, which may or may not go around a set of rapids. We blaze the entire portage trail up here at regular intervals.

Cairns (Inuksuks) are also used in some places for marking ports and camp sites, but we have some people that like to remove them seeing it as an eyesore, so people after them can get lost on longer ports across bare rock. We blaze trees as well to mark portages and over longer ones where trees exist.

Back