• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Marshall Lake video Trip Report

Pretty neat. I felt like I was watching a 19th century trapper rather than a 21st century canoe tripper. Definitely gives some perspective to your way of canoe tripping, which I must say is interesting to me. Maybe someday I'll convert and carry an axe, a fishing pole and cold handle fry pan. The pancakes were pretty enticing. I like the twig stove too. Less fuss than an all out fire just for breakfast and lunch on the go.

I'm not criticizing other films. I enjoy watching them all. Those films by onecanoe are incredible. Something I really like about Robin's here though, is the lack of music and dialogue. It showed me exactly what I'd see and hear if I were there. I think I heard the wild rice brushing against the canoe as he paddled through. Nice.

Great video Robin... trade you my Old Town Yankee for your Chum? lol

It was great to see your gear, and your captions added a lot to the overall package. One question though... in one shot, where the camera's on the thwart behind you, you've got something round/hollow hanging off your life jacket... what is it? Like that you keep your tin cup on the outside too... just classic...

and I hope I'm in your shape when I'm your age...

Hi Seeker,
Thanks, That's an old plastic 35mm plastic film canister filled with cotton mixed with Vaseline, makes a great fire starter in a pinch. I had another canister filled with matches hanging next to it for years but you can see in the video that it's gone, just some sting blowin' in the wind. Those ports where tough and it probably fell off somewhere along the trail.

Blazing a tree is usually not a warning that there are rapids, but an indication that there is a portage, which may or may not go around a set of rapids. We blaze the entire portage trail up here at regular intervals.

Thanks much. I'll keep an eye out for that next time!

Cairns (Inuksuks) are also used in some places for marking ports and camp sites, but we have some people that like to remove them seeing it as an eyesore, so people after them can get lost on longer ports across bare rock. We blaze trees as well to mark portages and over longer ones where trees exist.

Thanks for the tip!

Not a big fan of cairns or Inukshuks, as people tend to build them randomly, for giggles. There must be over a hundred of them on the three hour drive between T Bay and my place. If you are in an area where they are used traditionally, they might be fine, but I disregard any that i find.

Yea, I know what you mean about the Cairn's along the Trans-Canada. They are on every single rock outcrop from Manitoba to Toronto. However, out this way the flagging tape gets removed and cairn's are pretty common when traversing expanses of bare rock without trees handy.

Back