• Happy National Limerick Day! 🅰️🅰️🅱️🅱️🅰️

Marshall Lake 2015

The final season I used our Katadyn Hiker I noticed it leaked around the seal. I back flushed etc, and replaced the filter cartridge ($$ = ouch). Looking closer I found that the unit body had become slightly deformed, now out of round, so the filter wouldn't quite fit snug. I don't know how that happened? Rather than replacing the whole shebang I purchased the Katadyn bag thing. At first it seemed like a stupid idea, filling a bag with water and hanging it up to let gravity do it's thing. Stupid simple and easy. I love it now. I'll keep my eye on it for problems, it's only done 2 trips. Or 3, maybe 4, I can't remember. I can't remember the last time I had to pump for water rather than fill a bag and let gravity do it's thing. The worst thing that can happen on the Marshall L. tour is that both water bags will fail; then we'll hafta rely on all that watered down beer in cans we'll be hauling for the guide. When all you've got is lemons...when all you've got is Bud Lite...

Yum, Bud Lite Lime, a refreshing way to cleanse the palate early in the morning! Seriously though, I don't usually filter water up that way. I'm not advocating that for anyone else, but I often drink right out of the lake.

Yum, Bud Lite Lime, a refreshing way to cleanse the palate early in the morning! Seriously though, I don't usually filter water up that way. I'm not advocating that for anyone else, but I often drink right out of the lake.

Remember guys and gals, this is the same lake that he sleeps and pees in (simultaneously). I wish I could find that post from last winter. I think it was the innie or outtie ground cloth debate. I took the high ground on that one (hammock).

I will drink from the top couple of inches of water in the middle of the lake but no longer take chances with it near the shore. I had a nasty episode in BC one time and have no wish to be that sick again. So we filter. I used to boil or pack in water. To much work. Filtering seems the simplest answer and likely safe enough. I do scoop lake water to cook with since it is boiled anyways.

Mem, are there any Smallmouth in the lakes or is it primarily Pike and Pickerel? Gripp looks to be pretty much a deeper hole the entire lake, satellite photo's show no humps or shallows other than where the river enters. Doesn't appear to be much rock on the shorelines either, but that could be deceiving with the tree lines.

Summit has potential, photo's show some good deep troughs, one running almost the length of the lake on the west side and another on the east side adjacent to the other camp site.

I'm looking forward to seeing if my system works there like it does here. Mind you, if there are Smallies in there, I'll be packing more tackle.

Nope, no smally's. Pike and pickerel, whitefish. Summit is a big shallow wild rice factory, I'm sure there are sea serpents (AKA monster pike) too. Only fished Summit once, no luck. Grip is almost all rock lined, I have never actually fished it, but I suspect it might prove to be a jewel. My fishing has always involved throwing a jig in the water at the end of the port while I wait for everyone else to get over. I have never actually taken the time to really fish on a trip, other than hauling a couple in for supper, so this will be a new experience for me.

Okay, I have my vacation secured for Aug 6 through Aug 23rd. We will leave the morning of the 6th and arrive Friday afternoon most likely.

M's vacation time has just been confirmed for Aug 7th to 19th. We expect to arrive Friday afternoon as well.

Sounds great, we should probably have a good meal and a few beers Friday night, then a big breakfast Saturday morning, and then maybe we'll get all the driving done and get on Marshall sometime in the afternoon. Then have a few beers and another gutbuster meal...well something like that anyway! Do any of you guys have a portage cart? I'm thinking of making one just for that first 1.2 k port into Marshall. It would be sweet just to load the canoe on the cart and pull it in.......

Well, anyone else with an interest in the trip now knows when it is going to happen, might help nudge them...

The Marshall trip is a long haul for our American cousins. It's only fair and fitting that anyone from across our friendly border making this trip be made honorary Canadians. Whaddaya think? There must be some kinda fun solemn ritual to mark the occasion, eh?

The Marshall trip is a long haul for our American cousins. It's only fair and fitting that anyone from across our friendly border making this trip be made honorary Canadians. Whaddaya think? There must be some kinda fun solemn ritual to mark the occasion, eh?

Real Canadian Beer, Back Bacon and Mammoth Mosquito's?

Sounds great, we should probably have a good meal and a few beers Friday night, then a big breakfast Saturday morning, and then maybe we'll get all the driving done and get on Marshall sometime in the afternoon. Then have a few beers and another gutbuster meal...well something like that anyway! Do any of you guys have a portage cart? I'm thinking of making one just for that first 1.2 k port into Marshall. It would be sweet just to load the canoe on the cart and pull it in.......

Lets see, beer, lawn chairs,Friday night, good food, good friends, "Honorary Canadian", back bacon, hard to pass up. And I have the best canoe cart, indestructible, perfect for the Marshall Lake portage, save me a spot.
I have been on the fence for a while, but couldn't commit yet. Sold a canoe so the gas money is there, everything else fell right into place. The dates work for me too.
I might go downstream on the Kap to Tennant Lake and come out Meta Creek to Meta Lake if that's doable.

Honorary Canadian? I like that!

Could borrow from Newfoundland tradition and "Screech" them in. This usually involves doing a straight shot of screech rum and then kissing a cod, something like this....

(I stole that pic off the interweb, don't know anyone in it, although the cod looks familiar)

I guess we would have to kiss a pike or a walleye........or we could just all say hello, shake hands and then start apologizing for everything, the way Canadians do.

Yes, That TR was what got me reading the maps again and thirsty for that region, great report, and the ports will be open. I don't mind walking ww, either in the water, on the rocks, or on a portage trail.
Very much looking forward to the trip, now to find Mihun a project canoe to bring up.

Mihun, so your ok with that...haha, just had the conversation with the wife....she's good with it too, she asked some questions, the big one was how long? I said 2 weeks, then looked at the floor,

she said 3, maybe 3 1/2 weeks....

43 years, you get to know someone, she knows me.

Back