• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

Marshall Lake 2015

Those google images are fairly old now, cutting hasn't gone on up there for over ten years. I'm thinking that one old cut road that comes close to Faubert might have been drivable at one point, but it probably isn't now. Quite a few of those old logging roads get ditched out at the beginning. Four wheelers can still get through, but not trucks. I have been privy to many secret hot spots up there, but unless it's really secret, no one knows anything about it. I have a feeling it's going to be a meat market for fish, but i don't want to get too excited, as I've been wrong before.

Edited to say, the fishing downstream from the bridge is so good, I can't imagine why someone would try to slog it into Faubert.

Last edited:
My neighbour is a conservation officer, I was outside doing some work today and asked him about Faubert Lake. He said a very major fire blew through there about 15 years ago, so that the old logging roads have remained fairly stable. He said that moose hunters usually get back there in the fall. he also said that there are several major springs in that lake, and that the walleye that come out of it are prime specimens, very fat and broad shouldered.

Just so you know, we HAVE a carbon fibre beaver tail....bent shaft yet....and it is a thing of beauty, other than the broken shaft repair, the knob on backwards and the burn mark in the center of the blade. It is my fave paddle ever, I might even be talked into a straight shaft one.

Faubert Lake sounds very fishy....lol In a good way. As you say though, what isnt up there? What it sounds like is Moosey...worthy of some attention this fall. While I love big pickerel, I like tons of pan size ones even better...catching them isnt just half the fun, it's all the fun. What I really want to know is...where are the perch?

BTW Robin, if you lash two of those beavertails together you have a killer double blade.

Christy

HaHa...half way through my solo trips I figure I'm safe and there's no use for that 2lb roll of duct tape, so I quit taking picturers, tape those beavertails together and fly down the lakes.

Hopefully hose moose hunters carried chainsaws and kept those two little rivers open looking forward to paddling upstream from Faubert Lac

It could be awhile yet for open water out your way, but what is with the upper right corner of the photo? That is today.

This is an example of how large a swath the photo is. I didn't go looking for this area, it was the right side of the photo, on the left side is Winnipeg and central Manitoba, which makes the actual image about 1200km wide.

Our smaller lakes are open even a few hours north and the big lakes are starting to open up. However, this area looks pretty solid still.

Last edited:
Hmmmm, left side isn't Manitoba, it's Ogoki reservoir with Lake Nipigon. Can't explain why the right hand upper corner is open, shouldn't be. Everything is still iced over here, but starting to open up. Anyway, here's a pic of what to expect the first night here. You might detect a cardboard cut out, that was one of our friends who couldn't make it tonight. Third bonfire so far, only -1 degree tonight!

Right side would be Manitoba if it was the full picture, this is just a segment, silly me, should have mentioned that.

I think we have food worked out. 10 days in the Bush, 4 days for travel with an overnight each way, so, 14 Family sized boxes of Kraft Dinner and a bottle of Ketchup for Christine's portions, 30 pack of beer, 2kg ground coffee.

Just kidding about the KD remark of course. If I had my way I'd have a pantry cupboard devoted to the stuff. But I don't, so I can't. Back in my not so sparkly real world where rainbow unicorns don't invite me for KD picnics, I'm told I have to be sensible. I'm starting to hate that word, sensible. I call it the other S word.
Where was I and where was I going? Oh yeah, we've hammered out 6 dinner ideas for the trip. Unless I'm allowed any rainbow unicorn friends along I'll have to come up with a few more dinner ideas, or just double up on the meal plan. Oh, by the by, Frank's Hot Sauce is waaay better than ketchup for your KD. There's all kinds of Frank's nowadays. Anyway, I'm hoping to finally fire up the dehydrator this weekend. We have some meals to prepare. They're of the S variety.

Christine already fired up the dehydrator but for our planned first trip at the end of June... if I get the time off... which isn't looking likely. I almost lost the August dates due to work coming up with a new way to do vacations and senior staff getting priority. Thankfully they added a paragraph that says any previously authorized vacations will be honoured. If they hadn't, I was going anyway, scr** the job.

We do simple dinners, Christine will bring plenty of fresh food for the initial days, we don't really like dehydrated meals so they come in last, which is partly why our food barrel will be 60 pounds. 10 days out, plan for 12 meals is what we do. We hope for fish, always have plenty of Rocky Madsen's fish crisp coating, but never count on it.

IF we did KD only, we could go with just one pot and two spoons. Nothing is better than KD out of the pot! Cooking will be done on an ancient and more black than green Coleman 2 burner naptha stove I'm sure.

If Irene is going, I'm sure our menu will be extensive. If i go alone, there'll be an extra bottle of whiskey, a few packs of smokes, coffee, fish crisp and olive oil. Oh ya, and some triple cold smoked bacon.

M keeps reminding me in her trembling little Is there a Santa Claus? voice "There'll be fish, right? You're gonna catch some fish for at least a few suppers. It would be nice for a breakfast or two, wouldn't it?" Um, yes there's a Santa Claus, but no he won't be fishing. I will be, so you better get used to porridge.
M also is fixated on bringing a small ham. Can you believe it? Pre-cooked and smoked of course, but I remind her that it's still a matter of keeping it this side of green. It would go nicely in a couple breakfast ideas. We'll see. We normally have fresh food for the first 2-3 days, but given that just driving there will take 2 days makes fresh food a challenge. And then there's the beer thing. I was thinking around 18 or so cans for the guide. I hadn't guesstimated how many for the crew. Still much to ponder.

If it helps at all, we have only taken alcohol on a trip once and never beer. We are still undecided on that front as well, I don't need another reason to have to get up in the dark to pee considering I have to leave the tent to do it. There is the whole how to make it cold out there issue, surely it can be soaked, but if the river water is warm, so is the beer.

I may need to bring the Canooler and pack it with dry ice.

I'm not sure if we've ever taken beer. I do remember sitting in the late afternoon autumnal sunshine, with the dazzling colours of a setting sun washing through the crimson Red Maples and yellow Paper Birches, giving me a happy mellow feeling while I supped on a cool Guinness...or maybe that was just wishful thinking while I closed my eyes and daydreamed sipping on tepid tea. I dunno.
A Canooler and dry ice? Yea!! That means we can have Jello for dessert!!

I can manage fresh meals for about 3 days. Then it gets interesting. I make a pretty mean dehydrated stew, and a good chili also. KD works out. I usually bring lots of eggs as they dont go bad as fast as people think. Pancakes...cant miss with those.
We only eat meals twice a day...breakfast and supper. Lunch is on the trail...power bars, jerky, that sort of thing. Sometimes coffee. I have to tell you, one beer puts me away after a day of canoeing.

Never fear Brad...there will be fish.What kind and when, that is anybodies guess. But if there are any to be had, we will round some up. And I am pretty sure there are enough out there. LIke karin says though...plan to not catch any, that way you dont run short.

I often bring some potatoes with me and make home fries with pickerel...tasty stuff. Rice works too. I bring a lot of that. Those sidekicks mixes are easy and work out well. They make a good spaghetti too if you can find it.

The best idea is keep it simple. I used to get overly fancy and soon gave up on that.

Christy

Whew! Just a little more dehydrating and the food barrel is ready. Just a little more packing and the gear is set to go. M wondered last night why I was so jittery. "Only a week to go! I'm not done prepping!" "Umm, you've got 2 weeks to go. You're way early." Wow. How did that happen? Now I've got all our bags packed, and no place to go...yet. It sure is nice to be early for a change. There have been years when we've been packing the night before. That's when I overlook and forget the little things like duct tape, bug spray, a food item, and one year...my clothes.

Don't forget to pack some warm clothes too, Aug can be kind of unpredictable, baking in the sun during the day, water bucket freezing at night.

Back