• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Kopka/Brightsand/Kashishibog Rivers

Reaction score
At the end of July, my father (at 72-years-old!) and I completed an 11-day Trip from the Allanwater Bridge in Wabakimi to Bukemiga Lake on Highway 527. The water levels were abysmally low making for a challenging and dangerous grind at times.

The scenery was incredible, as was the solitude. The photos on the report in no way do justice to the beauty of the area.

It's a long read, but hopefully interesting for those who have done the trip or have intentions to do the trip.

I'm excited to read this! I did a 24 day solo in Wabakimi last summer (2022-high water year), and this route was the second half of my trip. It'll be fun to see it in low water and to hear about it from your perspective.

Last edited:
I have thought about the Kopka more than a few times, but after reading that excellent report, I'm thinking I would probably be medivac-ed out. Your Dad is really living life to the best, good for you guys!

Great, in-depth report. Thanks! Your pops is a beast. I looked through a few of my photos to try to capture the water level difference. The Brightsand shot mirrors a pic you took. That stretch of river on the Kopka was challenging in high water as well (early marked sets), and there was a wrapped canoe at the first set when I passed through (I later found a pack at Sandison Lake and carried it out over those last brutal portages).
Anyway, thanks again for such a great, immersive report. I was so knackered by the end of my trip that I barely journaled or took pictures.

Attachments

• last falls.JPG
    last falls.JPG
    273.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Brightsand.JPG
    Brightsand.JPG
    204.4 KB · Views: 12
Search online for Kevin Callan’s videos of his Kopka Rv trip. I am guessing that it was in 2009 which was a very rainy year in NW Ontario.

Last edited:
I have thought about the Kopka more than a few times, but after reading that excellent report, I'm thinking I would probably be medivac-ed out. Your Dad is really living life to the best, good for you guys!
For a fellow who pretty much put the Steel River on the map, I think you might be selling yourself a little short, memaquay! Yep, my Dad is a trooper and in incredible shape. I'm his junior by exactly 20 years and he might be in better shape than me.

Back