• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Jack's Special/ Chestnut Chum

Reaction score
Robin sent me a set of plans a couple of years ago. I need a big solo, and I'd like something traditional with some rocker. This one looks like the one, so I'm starting the build. Stats listed are 15' long, 31 1/2 wide, 12 3/4 deep and 2 " rocker. I've measured up the plans, looks like the center measurement is to the outside of the outwales, as the inside measurements from hull to hull are a little less that 30".

Anyway, cut out the stem forms today, might be a week or two before I get back to it. I don't really care about weight anymore, as i realize there's no point whining about a few pounds anymore, better to just knuckle down and carry the dang thing (I'm hoping for around 50), although i will be building this one to take my regular amount of torture, including the infamous "land launches".

Many thanks to Robin, and perhaps his dogs too, I'm not sure, but there seems to be quite a bit of tape on the plans and some impressions similar to doggy teeth. I'm guessing this a canoe one can really "sink one's teeth into".

Sounds super to me! I been wondering what you might replace the last build with since it didn't seem to be what you were looking for in the end. I have been eyeballing Robin's Chum for years on line. I don't think you can go too far wrong with a Chestnut canoe design. I hope I can paddle a chum design some day. I'm a little nervous about the width as I don't seem to have as good a balance anymore. I am very comfortable with the stability of my NC Pal but it is 34" wide. Anyway Looking forward to seeing your progress this Fall / winter. Dave

Rippy, good to hear from you! Alas, I have given up on the idea of losing weight, and on the idea of light weight canoes. A fat-ish fellow needs a big-ish canoe. Robin had his chum here this summer, and I got a chance to look at it, and liked what I saw. However, don't make the mental leap about Chums being for fat folks, as Robin is a trim and lean paddling and portaging machine.

The Osprey that I built last year is for sale or trade, to any 170 pound flyweights who might be interested.

Funny story about those teeth marks. My wife's sister was house sitting for us for an overnight when our two male labs where pups. UPS delivered those plans in a really neat looking tube, which she left on a kitchen chair...too much temptation for those puppies, they chewed the end of the tube and had the plans pretty much all over the house before she noticed them. Shes a sweet heart so all is good with about two rolls of scotch tape needed to put the plans back together.

Tonight I'm in my shop, I have the Chum on horses and I'm trying to fit next weeks trips gear into it. I really love that canoe, but it's just not big enough for the wall tent, wood stove, interior frame, wanigan, clothing bag, hunting gear. Just too much. I pulled the 16' Pal down and tried that for size. Still a big load but a better fit. I loaded in a pouring rain and I'm hitting the road at 5am. Hoss's in Long Lake, NY for license, topos, a book to read by 9 am, put in by 11am, life is good.

Drew out the templates today. You might wonder why I am using that weird furniture type board...well, it is free! Free! Yes, free!

Excellent! I'll be doing the same tonight. Lots of books say particle board and MDF don't have enough holding power for the staples but that's all I used for my last build since I was using up scraps and they worked fine. Seemed easier to sand too and cheaper@ $20/sheet when you have to buy it. It's what I'll be using from here on out unless it starts giving problems.

No horizontal reference lines? What are the pliers for?

Alan

I make a centre line with a roofing square for each form, then cut out the template from the plan. They are only half form templates. Then i staple it to the wood and draw the pattern, pull the staples with the pliers, flip it over and repeat. Cut out all of the forms tonight, I'll match them up tomorrow, screw them together and sand the edges fair on each pair.

When you are finished with those plans......just sayin.

Oops…because of the aforementioned doggy attack, I wasn't able to trace these plans on with carbon paper. I had to cut out each station as i went, so plans are kaput. Although I could make full size tracings of the stations, or better yet, if someone was headed out your way, send the forms with them.

Once you are done with them just put them in a corner and sit on them...I have an idea that I may be back around that way some time. I will be interested to see how the new boat paddles. I an thinking it should be pretty much ideal.

We would be reducing the size of the forms to build a mold to build new w/c canoes from so we would likely trace them before cutting them down.

We would be reducing the size of the forms to build a mold to build new w/c canoes from so we would likely trace them before cutting them down.

Would you stick with the tandem layout of seats, or are you thinking of building it a solo boat?

Mem, I'm assuming you are going with a solo layout of this boat?

Would you stick with the tandem layout of seats, or are you thinking of building it a solo boat?

Mem, I'm assuming you are going with a solo layout of this boat?

I think 15 foot is a little small for a tandem. Our Mattawa is 15' 8" and although it works for us, it is still a tad small for how we trip. If we do build a mold for w/c from that, we would likely do solo's and try for less weight, like around 50 pounds. Giving it some second thought, I doubt the particle board would be good for our intention, ply would be much more solid and potentially last longer.

Looking at the Jack's Special I think Mem might have an issue with the classic high ends in the wind, but that is more along the lines of the original Chestnut design. We have the desire to build new w/c canoes from a mold of our choice. There are at least a dozen classic designs being re-created already, Chestnuts, Peterboroughs, Rushton, Gerrish, Morris. There is a fellow in Southern Ontario, Ravenwood Canoes who is presently building a mold to make Pre-Fire Chestnut Cruisers from a canoe he found in the last year. All these can be bought once you find the ones who are building them. We seek to find something nobody else is building and start production of new boats.

So why not a Pal or Chum? Something to be used, not just a decoration. Maybe this is the boat for us.

Here's my first Chestnut Chum, the ends have been cut down by the restorer who installed new inwales. It was also set up as a solo.

Solo Chestnut Chum

Here's my present Chestnut Chum with "traditional" ends,

​Upstream to Stone Lake, Marshall Lake Circuit

So why not a Pal or Chum? Something to be used, not just a decoration. Maybe this is the boat for us.

I solo paddle a NC Pal and love it in many ways. Several people on this site paddle this design in different materials and enjoy it. Wouldn't rule the Pal out just yet. I think you need to offer both in the future. The Chum set up as a solo maybe modified on the ends Like the first one in Robins pictures, and the Pal in tandem form. Pick one and build it first then have a longer term goal of bringing a second boat into your offerings. For some reason I'm leaning towards a large-ish solo with the lower cut ends. It would reduce the weight a little too. If I was looking to buy a WC boat that is the boat I would buy from you. This year BobB had a 15' WC built for himself to be used as a solo boat. Us bigger / taller guys need room. Mem knows this and is leading the way with this thread. Also big / tall type guys might be better equipped to carry WC canoes.

Just some food for thought Karin and Christy. Use your own judgement as I don't know the boat business.

Last edited:
Back