• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Interest check - Cottage lot in Manitoba

Reaction score
I have a cottage lot in Hecla/Grindstone Provincial Park.

I recently moved out of province and I am thinking of selling it.

It is on the Grindstone side.

100' x 150'

I have $12,000 put into it, looking for $10,000.

I currently have the lot partially cleared, just enough for a the cabin, which the foundation has been completed.

Driveway and culvert are installed.

foundation (5).jpg

Foundation is 16' x 30' This can be used as the main cabin, or it can be used as a guest house and another larger cabin may be constructed. You are permitted to have two dwelling structures.

I was wondering what you were going to do with that, I remember you mentioning several times your plan for early retirement to that lot. So, no chance you will return to Manitoba?

16x30 would be more than adequate, no need for additional structure, short of a shop.

I'll give it some thought, it is about all I could actually afford.

I was wondering what you were going to do with that, I remember you mentioning several times your plan for early retirement to that lot. So, no chance you will return to Manitoba?

16x30 would be more than adequate, no need for additional structure, short of a shop.

I'll give it some thought, it is about all I could actually afford.

That's actually the other option, keep it and use it. Let other folks use it if they want.

But just due to circumstance, I am keeping the selling it option open. I like peace of mind, and not having this nag at me would be nice.

I can't actually list it for sale because technically I am not allowed to sell until I have the cabin to lock up stage. Walls, roof, windows and doors. So I would just have to make a private arrangements with someone. Once it is done, then I could sign it over.

Besides, once this friggin' snow melts, I am heading into the woods to find a nice private hideaway. Got an area picked out already. Wolves have a found a home here now, so I am all set. :)

Can you describe the area, is it waterfront or near a lake, subdivided with lots every 150', busy or quiet, elec available, fee's, own or lease the land? Long way for me here in the land of steady habits, (CT.) but you never know.

Can you describe the area, is it waterfront or near a lake, subdivided with lots every 150', busy or quiet, elec available, fee's, own or lease the land? Long way for me here in the land of steady habits, (CT.) but you never know.

You are near Lake Winnipeg. Which is huge, lol. Not on the waterfront, but just a two minute walk. Waterfront property was damaged from ice jams a couple years ago. I myself have always preferred to back in the bush a bit. There are beaches and a boat launch. You do have neighbours. Lots are next to each other. You are not permitted to cut brush within 15' of your property line, which gives you 30' of untouched brush. It gets busy in the summer time, especially on long week-ends. There is a cottage association, and they have Grindstone Days in August long weekend. Pancake breakfast, and fish fry in the evening. Great for kids. The winter would be much slower. Not too many full time residents, but there are a few. The convenience store, which is about 5-10 minute drive is now open all year round. They have laundry, gas and booze. There is a fishing marina that about 6 fisherman or so operate out of. They are further north.

The public rarely go here. I went camping one long weekend, and I was the only person at the campsites. It is a 20 km gravel road to get there, or boat, so the general public don't go out there very often. Plus you must display a park pass if driving a vehicle through the park. Mostly it is just cottage owners and their guests.

Lots of wildlife, and fishing is phenomenal. There are 5 subdivisions, mine being South Beach. Lot 4, Block 3 on the overhead view there.

Last year, my fees were $450.00 a year. Apparently fees have went up, but I am sure they are still reasonable. Fees include snow clearing, garbage pick up. It is inside a park so it is managed by Manitoba Conservation. There is electricity, a hydro pole is actually one of my property line markers. And MTS has phones/internet/cable etc. I think there are a few companies serving the area now.

You are leasing the land. It is a 21 year lease, which you get to sign again if you so choose upon its expiration. You of course are permitted to sell also. This could be an investment for someone also.

14106_425337931456_4142812_n.jpg

sub.jpg

14106_425337926456_2825084_n.jpg

Last edited:
That is an excellent opportunity for someone within a days drive or so. Thanks for the breakdown, sounds like a nice place to have a second home for an old retired guy, and the price is very reasonable.

I spoke with Christine about it this morning and she is interested as well.

Sounds cool. Mihun09, let me know if you have any more questions.

I have a bunch of stuff out there also that will be thrown in if someone eventually takes it.

Inflatable kayak and paddle. Tool box full of tools. Lumber, joist hangers stuff like that. Most of it has been exposed to weather, so not sure how it all held up.lol

And for those that are not familiar with the area, Hecla Island is pretty well known tourist wise. First class golf course, 5 star hotel, the whole shebang.

http://www.gov.mb.ca/conservation/parks/popular_parks/central/hecla.html

Last edited:
Back