• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

I have strips ready to go ! What to build ?

Reaction score
Finished machining strips yesterday. Enough for a good sized solo.
Originally I wanted to build a Wee Lasse, to resell. But I have some carbon fiber cloth, and plenty of resin, that I could build another Carbon copy.

Now I'm torn on what to build !
HELP !!!

Jim

Did you ever go out in a guideboat? They are about the fastest practical boat that you can trip in. With modern materials and techniques, you could make something really unique!

Did you ever go out in a guideboat? They are about the fastest practical boat that you can trip in. With modern materials and techniques, you could make something really unique!

I just admired a few. I do like the looks, and Rowing does appeal to me ! I hadn't thought of them ! I'll do some checking ! Thanks !!

Jim

I will throw the Freedom Solo in there Jim ... I love mine so much, I am getting ready to start a 2cd one, with a few modifications (to justify the same boat twice).

I like the 16'3" version, as the extra space is nice for tripping.

Brian

I will throw the Freedom Solo in there Jim ... I love mine so much, I am getting ready to start a 2cd one, with a few modifications (to justify the same boat twice).

I like the 16'3" version, as the extra space is nice for tripping.

Brian
I have these plans, and contemplating it !

What changes are you going to make ?

Jim

Hi Jim,

I have modified the bow and stern profiles ( as well as the first 3 forms) to accept a kootenay style front and rear ... those are the only design changes.

Trim and construction will be a little different as well .. I have a few boats under my belt now and the Freedom Solo was my first ... I am hoping to shave a few pounds (the builders lament it seems) and apply some of the stuff I have learned.

Maybe you should try stapleless this build, you know you want to ...lol

Brian

Well I'm not totally set in stone, but today I paddled with Alan Gage ! Yes I was able to break him away from all the things he's been up to, and do some test paddling, on one of his local lakes !(nearly in his back yard)

I took up my Pearl and compared it to an excellent J Winters designed Kite.
The Kite is a beautifully done canoe, that Alan bought at the Spring Auction in Mn. this Spring. I was comfortable in the Kite ! But felt my Pearl out classed it in performance. Pearl, was faster, and tracked better, with a little more capacity ! The Kite was a little more maneuverable, I felt because it was shorter.

So right now, I'm thinking on building another Pearl, and use it for a male mold, to make The BLACK PEARL !
I've loved Pearl from the get go, and spent years trying to improve upon her.
My only complaint is that Pearl might be a little small for extended tripping.

A little off topic, but if anyone is looking for a very well done Kite, and at a Super Price, contact Alan ! It's a steal !

So I'm not set in Stone, and still keeping an open mind !

Jim

Build the Robb White sportboat! I know you looked at building it in the past. Then you can race Mem's John Winters flatback.

If you are interested in a guideboat I have offsets for a few of them and lines plans for one of my own design that is lighter and designed as a fast solo instead of a load carrier.

The Rob White did intrigue me !

Do you still have contact info ? Maybe it's way back on this site.
You guys are making me want to build SOO many boats !!!
Jim

Black pearl's got a great ring to it, I think it would be a great name for a boat. Aren't black pearls rare and very valuable? What are the specs on your boat Jim. I'm looking for a 15' day paddler to build with 3/16" strips and laminated 1/2" gunnels to try to get the weight down to the mid 30's. Have been thinking of a Merlin shortened to 15 with rocker added to 1.5 bow and .75 in the stern but your pearl design might be another option.

ROBB WHITE & SONS INC.
P.O. Box 561, Thomasville, GA 31799

You just send a check for $75, ask for the sport boat and they send you the plans

I have unused plans for this one...
http://www.stewartriver.com/rowingboats/fishdance.html

Looking at the dimensions of the Robb White sport boat, I would question their motor size recommendations. If built in cedar/canvas, a larger motor might be good. However, with my square stern, I would be afraid to go faster than the suzuki 2.5 motors along. With just me in it, and a cooler up front for weight, I hit 14 k and hour, so around 9 miles an hour. Although I double layered the bottom with six ounce glass, with generous overlaps on the inside too, I would be very afraid to hit a rock at that speed. Pretty sure a 4 horse, let alone a 7, would have me up to 20 k n hour or more......lol, scary speeds!

I'm happy to read the the Freedom Solo is getting some good reviews... Steve Killing's Solo Paddler could suit the need for speed paddler and the lines look great on paper. Should be good for single blading without the tractor seat shown. Add a spray cover for wind and waves and some serious distance on large lakes.

https://www.bearmountainboats.com/collections/canoe-plans/products/solo-tripper

Just to clarify some names FT ... the Freedom Solo and the Solo Tripper 17 are both different Steve Killing designs.

The Freedom Solo is here:

https://www.bearmountainboats.com/products/freedom-15-3

I built the Freedom Solo (16'3") and it is an awesome canoe, the Solo Tripper 17 looks a bit narrow at the gunnels for tripping .... not a deal breaker, but something to consider. I had to swap packs when I built the Freedom Solo, simply because my Ostrom Canoe Pack was too large to fit in the narrow boat ... that would be worse in the Solo Tripper.

I have a video of launch day if I can figure out how to post I will.

Brian

I have unused plans for this one...
http://www.stewartriver.com/rowingboats/fishdance.html

Looking at the dimensions of the Robb White sport boat, I would question their motor size recommendations. If built in cedar/canvas, a larger motor might be good. However, with my square stern, I would be afraid to go faster than the suzuki 2.5 motors along. With just me in it, and a cooler up front for weight, I hit 14 k and hour, so around 9 miles an hour. Although I double layered the bottom with six ounce glass, with generous overlaps on the inside too, I would be very afraid to hit a rock at that speed. Pretty sure a 4 horse, let alone a 7, would have me up to 20 k n hour or more......lol, scary speeds!

The Stewart river plans look to be WC.
My top three choices right now, are
1. Solo Freedom probably 16' 3". I would love to find one near by to paddle !!!
2. Robb White's Sport canoe. Yes Mem I agree it needs to be BEEFED up, for that much horse power !
3. Pearl. I could start building her tomorrow.

For my use, a solo will probably win out, but the Sport caoe is pulling at me !

Thanks everyone for your kind advice !!!

Jim

Last edited:
Thanks for clarifying the names, Brian, if there was any confusion. The Freedom solo (not the Solo Paddler) is probably my next build and comments from experienced paddlers are valuable. The Freedom solo isn't easily available for test paddles so most likely I'll be going with others' reports on performance... so Jim, please build the Freedom Solo and tell all about it... cheers!

:)

Back