• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

How's it hangin'?

A friend who goes to Alaska told me they bag smellables and then bag them again in a bag with mothballs in it. I wonder how the food tastes? Will someone please tell me what WCPP is?

Ugh on mothballs.. Bears in Alaska are a different sort. Grizzlies.. Many paddlers carry guns . We did not but we do carry spray. Spray takes so little room it is useful to take on any backwoods trip. Some areas in Alaska require bear canisters and not sure if Ursack qualifies . It works but I don't know if its in compliance with fidgety government rules
WCPP is Woodland Caribou Provincial Park by Red Lake Ontario.

Some areas in Alaska require bear canisters and not sure if Ursack qualifies .
If you paddle the Yukon River through the AK Yukon-Charlie National Preserve, stretching roughly 120 miles between Eagle and Circle, you will find that the regulation requires Canoeists to use steel BRFCs, available for loan in Eagle. I don't think the Ursack qualifies there.

During the Yukon1000 mile canoe race, we are required to begin the race with all of our food contained in BRFCs. Steel BRFCs were not required when I first raced in 2009 and again in 2011. The first time through in 2009 with my voyageur crew of 7, we used a large locked Yeti BRFC, which was then certified as compliant with the regulation. Same for 2011, but timing worked out so we actually traversed the entire Y-C preserve in a single day without stopping, so technically if we had been tourists, a BRFC wasn't required. However, we did spot several shoreline bears throughout the entire race route.

We do carry repellent spray, and the ladies on the team always rigged a perimeter bell warning system around their tent.

https://www.nps.gov/yuch/planyourvisit/basicinfo.htm

Last edited:
The high peaks area in the ADKs requires and approved type bear canister. I think I read that the few canoe areas in the high peaks were exempted.

In the Yukon, we have lots of bears, both black and grizzly. I've been up here 21 years working and playing in the bush. Roll of thumbs, keep your site clean, kitchen and food at least 100m from tents and down wind from them.

Always have bear spray with you, I cary one even when hunting and having my rifle with me, you'd have no chance at firing a killing shot at an out of no where charging bear, when bear spray you don'T need to aim... It is proven that bear spray is the most effective bear deterrent out there what ever gun lovers say!!

We donT' hang our food, we dont have BRFC's containers, we don'T use electric fencing( getting more and more popular and recommended in some area) We use a lot of common sense and so far it worked... But one never know cause that is what it is, Bears, especially black bears are really unpredictable.

That said, we have lots of bears, and some right in town, but we have a pretty large play ground and somewhat very little trafic compare to lots of places down south so less chances to run into a bear and less chances to have "contaminated" camp sites!

On an other note, 55 bears have bean destroyed in the Yukon in 2017, 100% of the cause are human stupidity and lack of common sense. That is a lot of dead bears and that is not even there fault!!

Back